[comp.org.eff.talk] ATM security cameras

jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. DeArmond) (10/11/90)

chris@bushido.uucp (Chris Estep) writes:

>I would think the reason to be more of the usual "scare tactics" employed
>INSIDE the bank.  A prevention method if you will.  The chances of them
>actually having to use the video are minimal at best.  Kind of like having
>a watchdog.  It's total purpose is to deter, but it'll probably never bite
>anyone

Actually there was a highly publicized case here in Atlanta a couple
of years ago involving a video from an ATM machine.  In the Julie Love
murder case, which receiveed national coverage, a criminal broke into
her car at a traffic light, robbed her, made her go to an ATM
machine and make a withdrawal, and then took her out and raped and killed
her.  She was missing for many months and the police were stumped.
Her boyfriend mounted a wide area media blitz with the theme "Have you
seen Julie Love?" on posters, bumper stickers and so on.

After they caught the guy, it turned out that the bank (First Atlanta as I
recall) had his picture with her on tape and either didn't bother to turn
it over to police or hid the evidence.  When the evidence did appear,
there was a lot of chest thumping and posturing and so on but I don't
believe they ever did anything to the bank.

Don't know what the moral of the story is but I thought the group would
be interested.

John

with Julie Love on tape
--
John De Armond, WD4OQC  | We can no more blame our loss of freedom on congress
Radiation Systems, Inc. | than we can prostitution on pimps.  Both simply