[comp.org.eff.talk] logistar

faustus@tartarus.uchicago.edu (Kurt Ackermann) (10/26/90)

Anyone hear about the stink between logistar (I think that's right), a
small software firm, and Revlon of cosmetics fame??

Logistar had written software to maintain and keep track of
Revlon's warehouses and distribution systems.

revlon claimed that the programs didn't work as specified under the
contract and they refused to pay for the software.

Logistar begged to differ, and, in response to the lack of payment,
REPOSSESSED ITS OWN SOFTWARE!!!  They entered Revlon computers over
telephone lines, and simply removed all Logistar software from
the system.  Needless to say, this paralyzed Revlon for a few days.

Revlon is suing...

What precedent will be set??  Does Logistar have the right to
enter Revlon's computers and take back its software, even though it
was unpaid for??  Is this illegal entry?  theft??

Let's assume for the sake of argument that Logistar did fulfil the
obligations of the contract.  Are they acting correctly (i.e., do
we want to encourage this kind of precedent to be set?), completely
aside from the question of whether or not their actions are
presently LEGAL per se (I think this will be decided by the precedent
this case establishes).

This one is going to have serious repercussions in the legal field,
and I think we all have a stake in the outcome (at least in the
long-run).

Opinions??

(I got this information off of the morning news.  Unfortunately, I
hadn't had a cup of coffee yet, so I was too fuzzy-brained to
remember if it was CBS or some other network...  Sorry to propagate
news without sources...  But I think this one will be in the evening
papers!)

Kurt Ackermann

"Grey, dear friend, are all your theories;  --Mephisto. in
 the golden tree of life is green!"           Goethe's Faust

ccastmg@prism.gatech.EDU (Michael G. Goldsman) (10/27/90)

this incident has GOT to be illegal...   Unless there is something
in some sort of contract giving them  (logistar ) the right to do this
I think that it would be equivalant to a rental agency breaking into
your house and repossessing your furnature without a court order
or anything nifty like that...

I'm not a law student type -o- guy  and havn't heard anything about
this story, but Logistar is up shit's creek in my opinion..

-mike
--
Mike Goldsman
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!ccastmg

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (10/27/90)

In article <15913@hydra.gatech.EDU> ccastmg@prism.gatech.EDU (Michael G. Goldsman) writes:
>this incident has GOT to be illegal...   Unless there is something
>in some sort of contract giving them  (logistar ) the right to do this
>I think that it would be equivalant to a rental agency breaking into
>your house and repossessing your furnature without a court order

I dunno, sounds legit to me.  Ever see a repo man take back a car?

Well, maybe there's some sort of "breaking and entering" clause.  If
your car is on the street it's one thing, but if it's in a locked
garage, that's another.

Hey Godwin, you got all case law on computer yet so that you can just
grep these things out?
--
J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Systems Manager - University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120

We had a story about this in clari.tw.computers.  Revlon is suing for
lost business.  They paid only 400K of a 1.2 megabuck contract, claiming
the software is not up to spec.  (Sound familiar?)  They were shut down
for 3 days, then the software house brought the system back up to limit
their worst case loss, having made their point.

I doubt the contractors will get away with this.  Doesn't reposession in
the real world require a court order?  Particularly if it involves entering
the premises of the debtor without permission?

Now these folks no doubt used authorized logins and system permissions to
do what they did.  There is probably no system cracking involved.  If there
were, I expect they would be in the same boat as a person who breaks into
your house without a court order to repossess your stereo.

Still, it's pretty clear that deleting the work was not an activity they
had permission to do even though their accounts might have been authorized.
If I happen to leave write permissions on a file, that still doesn't imply
an invitation to stomp on it.

(A recent case here had a lawn service 'repossess' a seeded lawn for
non-payment.  They bulldozed it.)

The concept of repossession of services is one the courts have probably
dealt with before.

mnemonic@eff.uucp (Mike Godwin) (10/27/90)

In article <1990Oct27.022442.16115@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:

>Hey Godwin, you got all case law on computer yet so that you can just
>grep these things out?

Probably by the second quarter of 1991.

--Mike

--
Mike Godwin, (617) 864-0665 |"If the doors of perception were cleansed
mnemonic@well.sf.ca.us      | every thing would appear to man as it is,

riddle@hoss.unl.edu (Michael H. Riddle) (10/27/90)

In <1990Oct27.022442.16115@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:

[ original post related how Logistar entered the Revlon computers via
dial-up access and "repossessed" software ]

>>this incident has GOT to be illegal...   Unless there is something
>>in some sort of contract giving them  (logistar ) the right to do this
>>I think that it would be equivalant to a rental agency breaking into
>>your house and repossessing your furnature without a court order

>I dunno, sounds legit to me.  Ever see a repo man take back a car?

>Well, maybe there's some sort of "breaking and entering" clause.  If
>your car is on the street it's one thing, but if it's in a locked
>garage, that's another.

Hmm.  This is an interesting situation.  Let's suppose a hypothetical.
Vendor provides Customer with software on account.  Software gets
delivered.  Written purchase agreement establishes a security interest
in the "goods" and is either perfected by filing a financing statement in
the appropriate office or filing is not yet required because any
applicable "grace period" under the state law has not yet run.  Customer
defaults by refusing payment as specified in the agreement.  Agreement is
silent as to repossession of the goods.

Section 9-503 of the Uniform Commercial Code provides:

     Unless otherwise agreed a secured party has on default the right to
     take possession of the collateral.  In taking possession a secured
     party may proceed without judicial process if this can be done
     without breach of the peace or may proceed by action. * * * without
     removal a secured party may render equipment unusable, and may
     dispose of collateral on the debtor's premises under section 9-504.

It would seem like Vendor may lawfully repossess.  The bit about the
financing statement may even be surplusage, since 9-503 only talks about a
"secured party," and does not require a "perfected" secured party.

I think that we have once again seen the extension of ordinary commercial
law into the computer world, in a manner that few would have foreseen.
How about it, Mike Godwin?  Remember enough from Secured Transactions?
--
riddle@hoss.unl.edu                  |   University of Nebraska
riddle@crchpux.unl.edu               |   College of Law

mnemonic@eff.uucp (Mike Godwin) (10/28/90)

In article <1990Oct27.161200.18165@hoss.unl.edu> riddle@hoss.unl.edu (Michael H. Riddle) writes:

>Section 9-503 of the Uniform Commercial Code provides:
>
>     Unless otherwise agreed a secured party has on default the right to
>     take possession of the collateral.  In taking possession a secured
>     party may proceed without judicial process if this can be done
>     without breach of the peace or may proceed by action. * * * without
>     removal a secured party may render equipment unusable, and may
>     dispose of collateral on the debtor's premises under section 9-504.
>
>It would seem like Vendor may lawfully repossess.  The bit about the
>financing statement may even be surplusage, since 9-503 only talks about a
>"secured party," and does not require a "perfected" secured party.
>
>I think that we have once again seen the extension of ordinary commercial
>law into the computer world, in a manner that few would have foreseen.
>How about it, Mike Godwin?  Remember enough from Secured Transactions?

What I remember from secured transactions is not the right stuff--the
bar course emphasized perfection of security interests, not the
process of repossession.

I suspect that a criminal-law issue may be raised by unauthorized
entry into Revlon's computer, if in fact it was unauthorized.

--Mike

--
Mike Godwin, (617) 864-0665 |"If the doors of perception were cleansed
mnemonic@well.sf.ca.us      | every thing would appear to man as it is,
Electronic Frontier         | infinite."
Foundation                  |                 --Blake

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (10/28/90)

I put into my software contracts that putting my software into
production, offering it for sale etc deems acceptance (meaning they
forfeit the right to do anything but pay up, plus or minus whatever is
promised to fix reasonable bug reports, "unable to print to these
nifty new printers we bought w/o mentioning it to you" is not a
reasonable bug report, for example.)

That seems to be what was missing here, maybe.

The whole software contracting biz stinks, actually. It's a
game-theoretic losing game. The customer is 100% motivated to bitch
and moan that they deserve more and withold payment. And the law tends
to side with them (mostly because good luck trying to explain your
side.)

They just list all the things they forgot to spec (oh, they didn't
really "forget", when you mentioned it they decided it would cost too
much) and how it prevents them from making use of the software and
you're basically fighting a losing cause. They only have to keep
reiterating that if they can't do this or that the software is useless
to them and worth $0, it's independent of how much of your work it
represents, or how much it fulfills the original specs.

Because of this sort of situation I'm slowly running the other way.

It's not worth it, unless you're a scoundrel at heart (or don't mind
being constantly accused of being one.)

It's possible logistar did something wrong, but having "been there" my
guess goes the other way. Revlon probably just decided the spec about
being able to "print out reports" should mean "analyze our business,
make good recommendations for management, fix our grammar and support
any printer we will ever buy...and be useable w/o 1 second training",
implicitly.

It does seem odd that Revlon has paid only $400K on a $1.2M contract
yet seems to be implying that there's enough software there that
losing it is a serious problem. They've only paid 1/3 of the price.

glork.

The point is, you're staring right down a rathole and looking for
rational behavior. Good luck! Next try to find out how murder inc.
work out contract problems. It's probably much more peaceful.
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | {xylogics,uunet}!world!bzs | bzs@world.std.com

jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. DeArmond) (10/28/90)

>I suspect that a criminal-law issue may be raised by unauthorized
>entry into Revlon's computer, if in fact it was unauthorized.

I'm not so sure it will.  In fact, I don't think it will be considered
unauthorized.  A few years ago, I had the (ahem) opportunity to
take possesion of some client's property as the result of my winning
a collection suit.  My lawyer explained in great detail what I could
do. (Note that we did not have a seizure order; at that point, we had
only an order to pay.)  He explained that we could enter the client's
office as long as we did not break any barriers; that we could take
anything we could get our hands on as long as physical violence was
not used; and that we could arm ourselves in order to protect ourselves
against possible violence from THEM.

We never got to test these instructions because after we recieved
trivial payment, the company went bankrupt.  In summary, repossesions
and collections have extraordinary protection under the law.  After being
tutored in the law, I'd certainly not want to be in debt and have an
agressive collection agent on my  tail.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC  | "The truly ignorant in our society are those people
Radiation Systems, Inc. | who would throw away the parts of the Constitution

riddle@hoss.unl.edu (Michael H. Riddle) (10/28/90)

In <1990Oct27.220708.29825@eff.uucp> mnemonic@eff.uucp (Mike Godwin) writes:

>>How about it, Mike Godwin?  Remember enough from Secured Transactions?

>What I remember from secured transactions is not the right stuff--the
>bar course emphasized perfection of security interests, not the
>process of repossession.

>I suspect that a criminal-law issue may be raised by unauthorized
>entry into Revlon's computer, if in fact it was unauthorized.

Hmm.  Interesting point, but then taking someone's car off the street can
be either theft of repossession.  Does the UCC language "except for breach
of the peace" authorize "peaceful" breakins?

--
riddle@hoss.unl.edu                  |   University of Nebraska
riddle@crchpux.unl.edu               |   College of Law
mike.riddle@f27.n285.z1.fidonet.org  |   Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

riddle@hoss.unl.edu (Michael H. Riddle) (10/28/90)

The name of the software firm is LOGISTICON, according to several news
reports I checked out on the NEXIS service.

Unfortunately, none of the reports contained the legal arguments! :-(

--

mnemonic@eff.uucp (Mike Godwin) (10/29/90)

In article <1990Oct28.123732.17333@hoss.unl.edu> riddle@hoss.unl.edu (Michael H. Riddle) writes:

>Hmm.  Interesting point, but then taking someone's car off the street can
>be either theft of repossession.

Would you say that software resident in Revlon's computer was
on "the street"?

>  Does the UCC language "except for breach
>of the peace" authorize "peaceful" breakins?

Not to my knowledge. Indeed, the notion of a "peaceful break-in" is
probably an oxymoron in criminal law. Recall that if I open an
unlocked door it's "breaking" as far as a breaking-and-entering
charge goes.

--Mike

--
Mike Godwin, (617) 864-0665 |"If the doors of perception were cleansed
mnemonic@well.sf.ca.us      | every thing would appear to man as it is,
Electronic Frontier         | infinite."
Foundation                  |                 --Blake

ee@lever.com (Edward Elhauge) (10/29/90)

Having been involved in contracting situations where I had difficulty getting
paid for work completed by the hour, I've often wondered if the
mechanic lean laws could apply to a software situation. In mechanic lean law
a workperson who is not paid for work completed can aquire a secured interest
in the property worked on.

If it works for carpenters and auto mechanics it should work for software
engineers. Can you imagine the sheriff knocking on Revlon's doors and seizing
all software media that contained Logisticon's software?

      Edward Elhauge      |    {hoptoad,uunet}!\    | "Pollution is a symptom
     Lever Industries     |        lever!ee         |  of man's inability to
       San Francisco      |                         |    transform waste"
    Voice 415-550-6789    |      ee@lever.com       |    -- Patti Smith --

faustus@tartarus.uchicago.edu (Kurt Ackermann) (10/29/90)

In <1990Oct28.123854.17457@hoss.unl.edu> riddle@hoss.unl.edu (Michael H. Riddle) writes:

>The name of the software firm is LOGISTICON, according to several news
>reports I checked out on the NEXIS service.

>Unfortunately, none of the reports contained the legal arguments! :-(

Can anyone cite a written media (or televised media) article with this
story?  After seeing it on Thursday morning, I couldn't find a thing
about it in the New York Times, Chicago Tribune, or on NPR.  Considering
the potential impact of this case, I would think that the media would at
least MENTION it.  But I guess that they see it as just another case of
breach of contract/repossession (?)

It would be much appreciated if someone could post/summarize/give reference
to an article that spells out the details of the circumstances surrounding
this event.

Let's get chapter and verse on the Net so we can talk with greater
certainty-- I couldn't even remember the name of the damn company and
it had only been two hours since I saw the news report...!

riddle@hoss.unl.edu (Michael H. Riddle) (10/30/90)

In <faustus.657214762@tartarus.uchicago.edu> faustus@tartarus.uchicago.edu (Kurt Ackermann) writes:

>Can anyone cite a written media (or televised media) article with this
>story?  After seeing it on Thursday morning, I couldn't find a thing
>about it in the New York Times, Chicago Tribune, or on NPR.  Considering
>the potential impact of this case, I would think that the media would at
>least MENTION it.  But I guess that they see it as just another case of
>breach of contract/repossession (?)

>It would be much appreciated if someone could post/summarize/give reference
>to an article that spells out the details of the circumstances surrounding
>this event.

>Let's get chapter and verse on the Net so we can talk with greater
>certainty-- I couldn't even remember the name of the damn company and
>it had only been two hours since I saw the news report...!

The gist of the story appears to be that Logisticon supplied software to
Revlon for inventory and process control.  Revlon was using the software,
but the product was not doing everything Revlon felt it should.
Logisticon apparently was not making progess to Revlon's satisfaction in
fixing the bugs, so Revlon witheld payments.

Logisticon then used dial-in access, presumably supplied for trouble-
shooting and updates, to disable the software and encrypt the data.

The following articles were the best I found.  I presume the Chicago
Tribune and the Washington Post will be readily available.  I don't know
about the Financial Times.

Chicago Tribune
October 28, 1990, Sunday, FINAL EDITION
SECTION: BUSINESS; Pg. 8; ZONE: C
LENGTH: 540 words
HEADLINE: Software supplier 'repossesses' Revlon's computer systems
BYLINE: By Ken Siegmann, San Francisco Chronicle

The Washington Post
October 27, 1990, Saturday, Final Edition
SECTION: FINANCIAL; PAGE C1
LENGTH: 666 words
HEADLINE: Revlon Suit Revives the Issue Of 'Sabotage' by Software Firms;
Manipulation of Computer Programs Damages Credibility
SERIES: Occasional
BYLINE: Evelyn Richards, Washington Post Staff Writer

Financial Times
October 26, 1990, Friday
SECTION: SECTION I; Back Page; Pg. 20
LENGTH: 276 words
HEADLINE: Software group sued over alleged hacking
BYLINE: LOUISE KEHOE, SAN FRANCISCO

--

archer@elysium.esd.sgi.com (Doctor Benway) (10/30/90)

*
[...]

I read the story in the San Jose Mercury News last week, in the business
section (sorry, I forgot the exact day).  The sequence of events was pretty
straitforward.  Revlon contracted software, and then withheld payment,
claiming that the software did not meet specification and that they could
not use it to run their bus- iness.  Logisticon tried to get them to pay
for a period of time, and then logged into the computer and disabled the
software, causing three Revlon warehouses to shut down.  Three days later
they re-installed the software.  The president of Logisticon said it was
the only leverage that he had to get Revlon to pay.

I'll try to look up an exact reference.

--
When artistic pretension is combined with abject |  Archer Sully
poverty the results are often VERY STUPID.       |

archer@elysium.esd.sgi.com (Doctor Benway) (10/30/90)

In <faustus.657214762@tartarus.uchicago.edu> faustus@tartarus.uchicago.edu (Kurt Ackermann) writes:

*In <1990Oct28.123854.17457@hoss.unl.edu> riddle@hoss.unl.edu (Michael H. Riddle) writes:
*
*
*Let's get chapter and verse on the Net so we can talk with greater
*certainty-- I couldn't even remember the name of the damn company and
*it had only been two hours since I saw the news report...!
*

It was in Newsbytes on Clarinet on Oct 25.  It was probably in the San
Jose Mercury News on the same day.

--
When artistic pretension is combined with abject |  Archer Sully
poverty the results are often VERY STUPID.       |
		-- Crosley Bendix                |  archer@sgi.com

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (10/30/90)

In this case though they had authorized accounts on the Revlon machine.

Wouldn't that be the same as giving someone a key to my apartment
and permission to go inside?

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey <sean@s.ms.uky.edu>
***  "They probably have a data encryption algorithm. You'll never get in."

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (10/30/90)

In article <sean.657238413@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>In this case though they had authorized accounts on the Revlon machine.
>Wouldn't that be the same as giving someone a key to my apartment
>and permission to go inside?

The real question is, what can legally  happen during a reposession?

If I don't pay my Visa bill for a while, can they (legally) come into
my house and take stuff?  If I didn't want to let my creditor in, I would
assume there's some way to get an officer of the peace to legally force
entry so that repossesion could occur. (Something like having an OotP evict
a tenant.)