[comp.org.eff.talk] getting a clue

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Nov1.190813.12143@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> gsh7w@astsun8.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Hennessy) writes:
>Are you seriously considering suing people over statements made on
>usenet? For the first time ever, I am moved to say,

hey, i'm not the one who brought up the lawsuit business in the
first place.  i think it would be an incredible waste of time and
money for anyone to sue over things said on the net.  but with
people like john de armond who IMHO wants to find an excuse to hang
len and karl kleinpaste who IMHO wants to hang me, i think the
situation is ripe for a suit.  you just don't get it - the more
you dredge things up the worse they will be for =everyone=
involved.

just shut up and let the system work.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"SCCS, the source motel!  Programs check in and never check out!"
		-- Ken Thompson

mbrown@tonic.osf.org (Mark Brown) (11/02/90)

From the Quotes Taken Out Of Context Dept.:
|> just shut up and let the system work.
|> John F. Haugh II

Just why do you think the EFF was created, John?
The "system" *doesn't* work correctly. We wish to see it changed.

Mark Brown   IBM AWD / OSF  | I feel a hot wind, on my shoulder,
The Good     mbrown@osf.org |   I dial it in from south-of-the-border
The Bad     uunet!osf!mbrown| I hear the talking, of the dj,
The Ugly     (617) 621-8981 |   can't understand *just what does he say?*

gsh7w@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Hennessy) (11/02/90)

John F. Haugh II writes:
#hey, i'm not the one who brought up the lawsuit business in the
#first place.

Well since *I* never mentioned a lawsuit, and the first place I heard
about it was on Wednesday where you asked me to cancel one of my
articles and post a retraction, then you did in fact raise the issue
of a lawsuit with me.

However, I do not think that you will ever sue me, and in my opinion
are just trying to stop discussion of topics that make you look bad.

#just shut up and let the system work.

Excuse me, but how can democracy work if everyone has shut up?

--
-Greg Hennessy, University of Virginia
 USPS Mail:     Astronomy Department, Charlottesville, VA 22903-2475 USA