[comp.org.eff.talk] People not remembering history

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Oct31.210211.7436@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>I have here a list of 214 individuals on USENET who are admitted system
>crackers, phone phreaks and computer criminals.  I can't say who

It seems that many people who read this newsgroup have forgotten an
important part of our history: Joe "Tailgunner" McCarthy.  Anyone
who did not understand my post should go to their local library and
look up some articles/books on the man, and then you might get the
joke.

Please stop sending me (and my boss) hate mail because you didn't get
to the ":-)" at the bottom of the posting.

--
J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Systems Manager - University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120

mark@DRD.Com (Mark Lawrence) (11/03/90)

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) wrote:
} It seems that many people who read this newsgroup have forgotten an
} important part of our history: Joe "Tailgunner" McCarthy.  Anyone
} who did not understand my post should go to their local library and
} look up some articles/books on the man, and then you might get the
} joke.

I think I'm reasonably intelligent, educated and informed and I didn't
make the connection at all.  I know about the McCarthy era, but wasn't
familiar with exact exposition until you tied it together.  I knew it
was a joke, Eric, from the context.  Perhaps a collaborateur might have
been in order who could have posted some kind of reference so we could
go dig into our history books and appreciate the irony.
--
mark@DRD.Com uunet!apctrc!drd!mark$B!J%^!<%/!!!&%m!<%l%s%9!K(B