[comp.org.eff.talk] More International Borders

a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) (11/02/90)

Well, now that anyone who mentions John Haugh is about to get sued I've got a
couple of questions.

I've heard that the laws regarding libel and "public figures" are much less
stringent.  Is this true?  If so, what constitutes a "public figure?"  A movie
star?  Somone who gets mashed upon by the secret service and ends up in the
newspapers?  Someone who posts a lot to the net?  Someone who is discussed
extensively on the net?

I'm living in and posting from Canada.  Can I be sued if I libel someone who is
in the USA?  What if I were posting from China?

cjs
--
Curt_Sampson@mindlink.UUCP                     (Vancouver, B.C., Canada)
{uunet|ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Curt_Sampson

gl8f@astsun7.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (11/03/90)

In article <3706@mindlink.UUCP> a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) writes:

>Well, now that anyone who mentions John Haugh is about to get sued I've got a
>couple of questions.

Don't worry, he's threatened to sue people over articles that didn't
mention him at all. I hope his lawyer charges by the threat.