[comp.org.eff.talk] libel and "public figures"

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (11/03/90)

In article <3706@mindlink.UUCP> a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) writes:
>I've heard that the laws regarding libel and "public figures" are much less
>stringent.  Is this true?  If so, what constitutes a "public figure?"  A movie
>star?  Somone who gets mashed upon by the secret service and ends up in the
>newspapers?  Someone who posts a lot to the net?  Someone who is discussed
>extensively on the net?

I think it's defined as "anyone who purposefully puts themselves in
the public eye".  If USENET is defined as "self-publishing", then
we're all writers, and we lose quite a bit of protection from "libel".
(Technically, you can't libel a public figure, or a member of a large
group while attacking that group, etc.)

--
J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Systems Manager - University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120