[comp.org.eff.talk] speeding ticket

ellis@motcid.UUCP (John T Ellis) (11/07/90)

This is a question in relationship to the thread about speeding tickets,
criminal offenses etc.  Last night I was an unfortunate individual.  As I was
driving home from work, Illinois's finest pulled me over and informed me I
was doing 70 in a 55.  I duly explained why I was doing 70 (to keep up with
traffic) but he said forget it.  Anyways, I got two tickets - One for speeding
and one for not being able to produce my insurance card.

I was told that if I wanted my license I would have to post bail of $200.00.
My question is this.  If I post bail am I admitting any quilt?
Another question.  Assuming I post bail, do I get my money back if the ticket
is dismissed?  Do I get my money back if the judge decides I'm guilty?

Is there anything else I should know before I venture into the lion's lair?

Thanks beforehand.

Regards.

John
--
-------------------------------+------------------------------------------------
  John T. Ellis 708-632-7857   | To YOU I'm an atheist;

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (11/08/90)

I'm not a lawyer but your questions seem fairly simple...

>I was told that if I wanted my license I would have to post bail of $200.00.
>My question is this.  If I post bail am I admitting any quilt?

Absolutely not, bail is just an assurance that you will not skip on
the charge (either plead guilty and pay the fine, or appear in court
if you plead innocent.)

>Another question.  Assuming I post bail, do I get my money back if the ticket
>is dismissed?  Do I get my money back if the judge decides I'm guilty?

Bail is just an assurance you won't skip out, yes you will get your
money back guilty or no, so long as you show up etc, unless there's
something funny going on...

HOWEVER...I'll bet you a dollar the judge fines you (at least) $200
and they call it "even" (which, of course, is equivalent to getting it
back as far as the law is concerned, it's just been converted to a
fine).

Maybe not, but it sure sounds like that's what they're up to.

But what's this got to do with the electronic frontier?
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | {xylogics,uunet}!world!bzs | bzs@world.std.com

mnemonic@eff.org (Mike Godwin) (11/08/90)

In article <5097@orchid12.UUCP> ellis@motcid.UUCP (John T Ellis) writes:

>I was told that if I wanted my license I would have to post bail of $200.00.
>My question is this.  If I post bail am I admitting any quilt?
>Another question.  Assuming I post bail, do I get my money back if the ticket
>is dismissed?  Do I get my money back if the judge decides I'm guilty?

Just a suggestion: Why not post this request for advice to misc.legal,
where general legal matters are discussed, rather than on comp.org.eff.talk,
a newsgroup that--except for occasional topic drift--is interested
in issues raised by the extension of the law into the electronic frontier?

You'll probably find that you'll get more responses, and more helpful
ones, but placing your question about speeding tickets there.

Apologies in advance if I have misread what was intended to be a
very subtle joke.

--Mike

--
Mike Godwin, (617) 864-0665 |"If the doors of perception were cleansed
mnemonic@well.sf.ca.us      | every thing would appear to man as it is,

davidg@aipna.ed.ac.uk (David Green ) (11/10/90)

From article <BZS.90Nov7220442@world.std.com>, by bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein):
> [various legal wrangling about Speeding Tickets]

> But what's this got to do with the electronic frontier?

Oh so _that's_ what all this talk of 'EFF' is about. Sorry, but I've been
getting this group for a good 3 or 4 weeks now and it seems entirely
excusable that people might think it's some sort of 'Your Rights Under
The Law' self-help group. Seems there's been a lot of talk about people
threatening and libelling each other and I'm sorry if I'm being stupid
but frankly I can't see what any of that has to do with the electronic
frontier either.

If you can't plug it in, I ain't interested...
--
/     "I'm back to announce - put some style      ___ __ .  _ __  __  |  \
[      in my account." - Renegade Soundwave.      |  /__||  //_| | _  |  ]