[comp.org.eff.talk] BBS STING OPS

glr@igloo.scum.com (Glen Roberts) (11/14/90)

SURVEILLANCE [7906 Hope Valley Court, Adamstown, MD 21710 (301)
831-8400] reports in its October 1990 issue that some agencies
(plural) are going after illegal users of BBS with sting boards.
Anybody have any information on this?

root@wnss (root) (11/17/90)

glr@igloo.scum.com (Glen Roberts) writes:

> SURVEILLANCE [7906 Hope Valley Court, Adamstown, MD 21710 (301)
> 831-8400] reports in its October 1990 issue that some agencies
> (plural) are going after illegal users of BBS with sting boards.
> Anybody have any information on this?

It's not unusual.  In the past, the Austin Police Department has done
just that sort of thing.  In fact, there were some arrests that grew
out of a detective turned computer type who put a BBS up.  Happened
two to four years ago.  Mostly involved juveniles and teens.

                                        Lance Spangler
                        [...] cs.utexas.edu!balkan!dogface!wnss!root

john@qip.UUCP (John Moore) (11/19/90)

In article <q5kRs1w163w@wnss> root@wnss (root) writes:
]glr@igloo.scum.com (Glen Roberts) writes:
]
]>
]> SURVEILLANCE [7906 Hope Valley Court, Adamstown, MD 21710 (301)
]> 831-8400] reports in its October 1990 issue that some agencies
]> (plural) are going after illegal users of BBS with sting boards.
]> Anybody have any information on this?
]
]It's not unusual.  In the past, the Austin Police Department has done
]just that sort of thing.  In fact, there were some arrests that grew
]out of a detective turned computer type who put a BBS up.  Happened
]two to four years ago.  Mostly involved juveniles and teens.

It happened here in Phoenix also - but by accident. The Sheriff's
Office (MCSO) set up a BBS with not sting intentioned - it was
just a BBS. Some folks started using it (knoowing that MCSO
owned it) for some sort of fraud (Sprint codes or some such) and
were, not surprisingly, caught!

--
John Moore HAM:NJ7E/CAP:T-Bird 381 {ames!ncar!noao!asuvax,mcdphx}!anasaz!john
USnail: 7525 Clearwater Pkwy, Scottsdale,AZ 85253 anasaz!john@asuvax.eas.asu.edu