[comp.org.eff.talk] Anarchy and the Net

jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. DeArmond) (11/20/90)

craig@com50.c2s.mn.org (Craig Wilson) writes:

>Moderated newsgroups and the newgroup creation "rights" consolidated in the
>hands of the moderator of news.announce.newgroups; to list the most obvious.

Actually, you prove the opposite argument.  The process of forming
new groups is truely anarchic.  We have a nominal moderator of newsgroups
and announce but no one is or can be bound to their proclamations.
Indeed, since the recent spat regarding the wizards newsgroups, many
admins simply ignore them.  I have since day one honored any newgroup
or rmgroup that appeared reasonable and authentic.  "Reasonable" is
typically judged to be in conformance with the net guidelines but not
always.  In other words, I do what I want with this site.  My downstream
sites are similiarly free to do as they please.  If I don't like what my
main feed site does, I can freely bind to another feed that DOES do what I
like.

Anarchy at work!

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of Performance Products
Rapid Deployment System, Inc. |  to the Trade " (tm)