[comp.org.eff.talk] Fool

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (11/03/90)

In article <1990Nov2.191240.4568@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>In article <18667@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>>And as always, I'd love to say more, but I can't.
>
>"I have here a list..."

Eric, you are such an incredible dick.  Try reading this, then
tell me if you think continuing to run off at the mouth about
Len Rose is such a hot idea.  Gee, let's all speculate about
why Len got busted.  Gee, let's all speculate about why Len
got fired.  Let's try for some NEW rumours, surely the old one
are tired and worn out by now.

    "Speculations here about Len's guilt or innocence will only hurt
     him. No one who has posted so far has the full facts about this
     case, which makes such speculation particularly irresponsible,
     in my opinion."

I didn't write this, but repeatedly when I ask people to
BE QUIET all I get is this stupid "are you threatening to
sue me?"  "why don't you just sue me?"  "I have here a
list..." bullshit.  GET A CLUE.  LISTEN TO YOUR RESIDENT
ATTORNEY AND QUIT SPECULATING ABOUT LEN.

Greg Hennessey wrote that if I want to be part of the
solution that I should stop posting so much.  I wrote
Greg a letter saying he should cancel his posting.  Now,
which one of those two statements follows the advice in
the above paragraph best?  Greg speculating about why
Len was fired, or my asking people to quit speculating?

Now, how many of you want Len's legal problems to drag
on a few more months so you can gossip and rumourmonger
amongst yourselves?  Would everyone in favor of making
matters worse for Len please post another article on
this topic, and please, add a little extra "conjecture"
and "speculation" and of course, don't "self censor"
yourself.  Can't give the appearance of acting in a
responsible fashion, now can we?
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"SCCS, the source motel!  Programs check in and never check out!"
		-- Ken Thompson

In article <6767@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ereiamjh@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Tom B. O'Toole) writes:
>If you want to be part of the solution John, why don't you stop
>continuing to post incessantly??

Sure Tom, just as soon as you stop dragging me into your little
discussions.  Get a clue, Tom.  I'll go away just as soon as you
people stop insisting that I be involved in your discussions.

a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) (11/04/90)

> al@crucible.UUCP (Al Evans) writes:
>
> So the question is valid: How DO we, here at the forefront of the future,
> resolve such differences within the anarchy? Perhaps the kill file is
> the ultimate weapon?

Either that or those of use who have had our honor besmirched will put together
a few worms and viri and send them off to our opponent's
computer.

God forbid.

cjs
--
Curt_Sampson@mindlink.UUCP                     (Vancouver, B.C., Canada)
{uunet|ubc-cs}!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Curt_Sampson

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (11/04/90)

In article <18684@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>In article <1990Nov2.191240.4568@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>>In article <18667@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>>>And as always, I'd love to say more, but I can't.
>>"I have here a list..."
>Eric, you are such an incredible dick.

I know you are, but what am I?

> Try reading this, then
>tell me if you think continuing to run off at the mouth about
>Len Rose is such a hot idea.

I never said it was or wasn't.  I just commented on the nebulous
"Gosh, if I could tell you the *secret*, you'd agree with me"-type
statements you've made in the past couple of weeks.

--
J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Systems Manager - University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120

joe@zitt (Joe Zitt) (11/04/90)

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:

> In article <6767@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ereiamjh@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Tom B. O'To
> >If you want to be part of the solution John, why don't you stop
> >continuing to post incessantly??
>
> Sure Tom, just as soon as you stop dragging me into your little
> discussions.  Get a clue, Tom.  I'll go away just as soon as you
> people stop insisting that I be involved in your discussions.

"Mommy! Johnny's posting again!"
"It's not my fault, Mommy! Tommy posted first!"

Joe Zitt		...cs.utexas.edu!kvue!zitt!joe 		(512)450-1916

craig@com50.c2s.mn.org (Craig Wilson) (11/04/90)

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>>jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>>>"I have here a list..."
>>Eric, you are such an incredible dick.
>I know you are, but what am I?

So, this is the Electronic Frontier?  Based upon what I have seen lately, it
looks like a pretty barren landscape where not much will grow (up!).

At least in the American Frontier of the last century, this kind of discussion
would lead out into the street where it would be settled in short order so that
the rest of us could get back into the saloon to finish our drinks.

I can see it now,
<fade to a barroom scene, with a number of cowpokes drinkin' and playin' cards.
At the bar, standing a few feet from each other, are two cowboys.  They are NOT
discussing the latest stockyard report.>

"Bart, you are such an incredible dick!"

<The piano player stops playin' and all eyes are on the two cowboys.>

"I know you are, bu" <BLAM> <BLAM>

<One of the cowboys slumps to the floor.  The other finishes his whiskey,
takes one glance around around and turns back to the bartender.  Everyone
else goes back to playin' cards and drinkin' while the piano player starts up
again.>

<fade back to the present where everyone is hunched in front of a CRT of one
sort or another.>

I know that it has occurred to people that not all types of communications
can be handled via newsgroups or electronic mail.  Especially in our current
primitive state, there is just no way for one person (or side) to WIN.
But then, we have not developed a graceful way to extricate oneself from
such a feud with honor.

One of the factors contributing to the decline of shoot outs in the street was
probably prosecution of the "winner" on any of a number of charges.  The
"loser", in fatal shootings at least, would fail to partake in any future shoot
outs.  Perhaps, some sort of "prosecution" of the combatants is needed?  And
then, once justice has been meted out, the participants would be left alone to
see the error in their past behaviour and would not be bombarded with secondary
and tertiary postings from others.

Of course, that implies a central authority, or a set of authorities adhering
to a written code.  And, I can guess most peoples' opinion on that subject.

Oh, well!  I was just thinking.  Now, back to the captivating exchange.

/craig

al@crucible.UUCP (Al Evans) (11/04/90)

In article <1990Nov4.031734.19127@com50.c2s.mn.org> craig@com50.c2s.mn.org (Craig Wilson) writes:

>So, this is the Electronic Frontier?  Based upon what I have seen lately, it
>looks like a pretty barren landscape where not much will grow (up!).

>At least in the American Frontier of the last century, this kind of discussion
>would lead out into the street where it would be settled in short order so that
>the rest of us could get back into the saloon to finish our drinks.

Actually, it seems to me like this is a *good* place for this discussion,
juvenile though it be. After all, why do you think we call it the
*frontier*, podnuh?:-)

But *any* society needs mechanisms for adjusting differences, even stupid
differences. And for this very new sort of society, it seems evident that
those means do NOT involve appeals to authority of any sort, whether lawsuits
or sixguns (appeals to sysadmins are discounted as being useful only due
to temporary anomalies in the distribution of technology:-)

So the question is valid: How DO we, here at the forefront of the future,
resolve such differences within the anarchy? Perhaps the kill file is
the ultimate weapon?
					--Al Evans--
--

Al Evans -- uunet!execu!sequoia!crucible!al
Though pride may be the most dangerous of sins,

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (11/05/90)

In article <1990Nov3.193714.4223@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>I never said it was or wasn't.  I just commented on the nebulous
>"Gosh, if I could tell you the *secret*, you'd agree with me"-type
>statements you've made in the past couple of weeks.

perhaps i am following an attorney's advice and not talking about
certain matters, the discussion of which will only make things
worse for those persons directly involved.

craig@com50.c2s.mn.org (Craig Wilson) (11/06/90)

In article <284@crucible.UUCP> al@crucible.UUCP (Al Evans) writes:
>But *any* society needs mechanisms for adjusting differences, even stupid
>differences. And for this very new sort of society, it seems evident that
>those means do NOT involve appeals to authority of any sort, whether lawsuits
>or sixguns (appeals to sysadmins are discounted as being useful only due
>to temporary anomalies in the distribution of technology:-)

But the mechanisms that are evolving or are in use are extremely inefficient
and still do not produce a resolution to the conflict.  The examples provided
by just a few of the recent conflicts provide a good variety:

	1. The DDMI newsgroup moderation problem evolving into a
	   e-mail war.  Quite a bit of modem time spent on that one, eh?
	   And, although there has been moderated behaviour by DDMI, if
	   I were certain people involved in this one, I wouldn't turn
	   my back.

	2. The posting of copyrighted material that seems kind of tame on
	   the surface, but is just the kind of issue that can cause
	   major problem for certain sites.  In the current environment,
	   this sort of issue could be the one the S.S. is looking for.
	   After all, the government might be a little pissed after the
	   911 case was dismissed.

	   There will be lots of mail and postings sent over this and
	   they will not modify behaviour one bit.

    3. The current "I'm gonna sue" conflict which is generating lots
	   of heat, but little light.  If I were going to sue somebody, I
	   would DO IT.  Not write about it in a public forum.  I would
	   definitely not post any further articles related to the issue
	   and I might possibly not post anything until the suit were
	   settled.

>So the question is valid: How DO we, here at the forefront of the future,
>resolve such differences within the anarchy? Perhaps the kill file is
>the ultimate weapon?
>					--Al Evans--

Network traffic certainly would be reduced once everyone got into everyone
else's kill file.

No, I am certain that all of the folks involved on both sides of the conflicts
listed above truly believed that they were IN THE RIGHT and that the posters on
the other side were evil, vile, people bent on destroying them and all that
they hold dear.  And the problem is that there is no higher authority to which
the matter could be passed for judgement.  No Solomon. No Bible. No Magna
Carta.  No Constitution.  Just some references to Usenet Guidelines.  The
guidelines may be a start.  But the reason legislators attach punishments to
laws that are passed is that they realize that not everyone is going to be
reasonable all of the time.

So, we end up with postings flying fast and furious in every which direction.
After the first several dozen, it doesn't matter what is in them as long there
are several remarks pointing out the lack of mental facilities by the opposing
party.  I am not saying discussion is bad.  Or that heated discussion and
conflict are bad.  Hell, I enjoy the inanities as much as the next person.
What I am trying to say is that we need to develop a way to deal with these
issues, so that they do not get out of hand.  The network needs to continue
growing and the users need to grow with it.

/craig

mvp@hsv3.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov4.031734.19127@com50.c2s.mn.org> craig@com50.c2s.mn.org (Craig Wilson) writes:
>... there is just no way for one person (or side) to WIN.  ... we have
>not developed a graceful way to extricate oneself from such a feud with
>honor.

Not for the participants, perhaps, but there's a way for the innocent
bystanders to "make the fight not exist."  KILL files.

>Perhaps, some sort of "prosecution" of the combatants is needed?

/haugh/a:j  will exterminate all sides of this nonsense.  (Alas, like
the loser in a Wild West gunfight, John's sensible articles will bite
the dust, too.)

>Of course, that implies a central authority,

Nope.  Each individual can set his/her own threshold of loss of patience.

--
Mike Van Pelt          | What happens if a big asteroid hits Earth?
Headland Technology    | Judging from realistic simulations involving a

al@crucible.UUCP (Al Evans) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov6.030346.11113@com50.c2s.mn.org> craig@com50.c2s.mn.org (Craig Wilson) writes:

>And the problem is that there is no higher authority to which
>the matter could be passed for judgement.  No Solomon. No Bible. No Magna
>Carta.  No Constitution.  Just some references to Usenet Guidelines.  The
>guidelines may be a start.  But the reason legislators attach punishments to
>laws that are passed is that they realize that not everyone is going to be
>reasonable all of the time.

I'm not at all certain you intended to imply what I thought I saw:-)
But if you're saying you believe there should be some higher structure,
some "organization" governing the net, then I disagree. I'd rather filter
through 4 megs a day of utter drivel than to lose the only "working"
anarchy I've ever heard of. And I'm *certain* I wouldn't want everybody
on the net to be "reasonable" all the time. I'd rather be exposed to some
daily quota of utter raving lunatics -- at least it helps me to firm up
my own views (which are, of course, always reasonable:-)

The net is the first human society in which everybody has the same quality
of weapons -- which is to say, none at all. I think the introduction of
ANY "weapon" -- even a legislative or executive authority -- would be,
at best, an attempt to stuff worms back into the can. Failing *new*
ideas, I suspect ostracism is the only workable technique of enforcing
any standards of behavior.
					--Al Evans--
--

harkcom@potato.pa.Yokogawa.Co.jp (Alton Harkcom) (11/08/90)

In article <18684@rpp386.cactus.org>
    jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:

 =}but repeatedly when I ask people to
 =}BE QUIET all I get is this stupid "are you threatening to
 =}sue me?"  "why don't you just sue me?"  "I have here a
 =}list..." bullshit.  GET A CLUE.  LISTEN TO YOUR RESIDENT
 =}ATTORNEY AND QUIT SPECULATING ABOUT LEN.

   I've got an idea about ending this thread. Everyone who got a note
from Mr. Haugh (whether it was a threat or shut up or not) send him
email saying "Please be quiet Mr.Haugh." and then only posting email
  $@2#2OEE5!3t<02q<R(J PA$@#15;#22](J
  TEL 0422-52-5748  FAX 0422-55-1728
  E-mail harkcom@pa.yokogawa.co.jp

craig@com50.c2s.mn.org (Craig Wilson) (11/08/90)

In article <288@crucible.UUCP> al@crucible.UUCP (Al Evans) writes:
>In article <1990Nov6.030346.11113@com50.c2s.mn.org> craig@com50.c2s.mn.org (Craig Wilson) writes:
>
>>And the problem is that there is no higher authority to which
>>the matter could be passed for judgement.  No Solomon. No Bible. No Magna
>>Carta.  No Constitution.  Just some references to Usenet Guidelines.  The
>>guidelines may be a start.  But the reason legislators attach punishments to
>>laws that are passed is that they realize that not everyone is going to be
>>reasonable all of the time.
>
>I'm not at all certain you intended to imply what I thought I saw:-)
>But if you're saying you believe there should be some higher structure,
>some "organization" governing the net, then I disagree. I'd rather filter
>through 4 megs a day of utter drivel than to lose the only "working"
>anarchy I've ever heard of.

The Usenet is NOT an anarchy.  No matter how many times you click your heels
and say it, the Usenet is not an anarchy.  The alt.* network comes closer to
being an anarchy, but even there, there are guidelines being formulated and
"enforced".  The Usenet has even more rules and regulations and policies and
procedures and guidelines.  And they are remarkably well observed by the vast
majority of the users of the network.  The closest the Usenet gets to anarchy
is when someone violates a guideline and everyone comes out of the woodwork to
beat them back into submission to those guidelines.  This mob rule is usually
quite effective.  However, it is not very efficient in terms of time and money.
It can take a long time to resolve the conflict which translates to megabytes
of data moving amonst the nodes.  These megabytes when multiplied by the number
of nodes are actually gigabytes of data being stored and forwarded.

I guess the point that I am trying to make here, is that, I don't believe that
this society can advance given the inefficiencies.  If it doesn't advance, it
will peak (has peaked?).  And then, like all great societies before it, it will
decline.  The decline will not nessesarily be precipitated by only internal
forces.  This society operates within a larger society which can, and has, had
impact on the smaller group.

>And I'm *certain* I wouldn't want everybody
>on the net to be "reasonable" all the time. I'd rather be exposed to some
>daily quota of utter raving lunatics -- at least it helps me to firm up
>my own views (which are, of course, always reasonable:-)

Do not confuse my ramblings with a call for sanity.  I also believe that there
should be groups that can provide a safety valve against a build up of
reasonableness.  And there are groups and networks for this.  I feel that BIFF
is funny and harmless.  And I know where to go when I need a dose of BIFF.  But
I don't want BIFF and his clones erupting all over.

>The net is the first human society in which everybody has the same quality
>of weapons -- which is to say, none at all. I think the introduction of
>ANY "weapon" -- even a legislative or executive authority -- would be,
>at best, an attempt to stuff worms back into the can. Failing *new*
>ideas, I suspect ostracism is the only workable technique of enforcing
>any standards of behavior.
>					--Al Evans--

I am afraid that I must disagree about the weapons being equal.  Being several
modem connections away from the Internet backbone, my firing rate is at musket
level while those on the backbone have a machine gun rate.

With respect to authority, there IS some authority in the guidelines and the
adherence most sites give to them.  But it is not sufficient to prevent the
worst violators of the guidelines from causing a lot of disruptions.  Rules and
laws really only exist when they prevent you from doing something you want to
do.

/craig

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (11/09/90)

This thread reminds me what happens in my Latin I class at school.  My teacher
gets mad at all the freshmen sitting on one side of the room to be quiet.  Then
they start arguing over who was talking.  (And being loud about it)

--
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

a577@mindlink.UUCP (Curt Sampson) (11/09/90)

> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org writes:
>
> In article <HARKCOM.90Nov8083014@potato.pa.Yokogawa.Co.jp>
> harkcom@potato.pa.Yokogawa.Co.jp (Alton Harkcom) writes:
> >   I've got an idea about ending this thread. Everyone who got a note
> >from Mr. Haugh (whether it was a threat or shut up or not) send him
> >email saying "Please be quiet Mr.Haugh." and then only posting email
>
> Is there something naturally stupid about this guys response?

No.  As a matter of fact, that seems to be the best thing to do in a situation
like this.  If everybody sends their replies by email it means that the
newsgroup doesn't get clogged.  Getting hundreds of messages in your mailbox
saying "Stop that!" is a time-honored usenet tradition, and one of the methods
of "popular control" that works well in an anarchy.

This, of course, is MHO.  If you agree or disagree, feel free to email me.  If
there's any significant number of replies I'll summarise to the net.

cjs
--

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (11/09/90)

In article <HARKCOM.90Nov8083014@potato.pa.Yokogawa.Co.jp> harkcom@potato.pa.Yokogawa.Co.jp (Alton Harkcom) writes:
>   I've got an idea about ending this thread. Everyone who got a note
>from Mr. Haugh (whether it was a threat or shut up or not) send him
>email saying "Please be quiet Mr.Haugh." and then only posting email

Is there something naturally stupid about this guys response?  Perhaps
it requires a little context from his previous posting -

In article <HARKCOM.90Nov7124816@potato.pa.Yokogawa.Co.jp> harkcom@potato.pa.Yokogawa.Co.jp (Alton Harkcom) writes:
> (Sorry to bring up an old post, but our feed is still in time warp ;-)

Right.  "sorry it took ME so long to join in, but it looked like such
a good time i could hardly resist".  Anyone want to bet money that
this guy went to PSU?

Hammer.  Nail.  Thumb.  Whack!
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
"SCCS, the source motel!  Programs check in and never check out!"
		-- Ken Thompson

dave@convex.csd.uwm.edu (David A Rasmussen) (11/11/90)

                 ####      ###
                 #####    #####                                   %%%%%%%%%%%%%
        ####     |###|    |####                                %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
        #####    \   |    |    \                            %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
        \    \    |   \    \   \                        %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
  ##     \    \    \   \    \   \                  %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
 ####     \    \    \    \   \    \                      /    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
  \   \    \    \   |     |   |    |                    |         %%%%%%%%%%%%%
   \   \    \    |  |     |  /     |                     \@@@@@      /%%%%%%%%%
    \    \  |    \ /       \/      |                       <*>--    ////  %%%%%
     \   |  /     |               /                       (__/      //|      %%
      |   \/                     |                      /          //(       )
     /                          /                     /           /// \     |
    |                          |           ____      |            ///  \  /
    |                           \      ___/    |-- /            //////   ^^
    |                            |----/          ||       )    /////////
    \                                       /----  \___/*\    ////////////////
      \                                   /              /////////////
        \                             --/             ////////////
           \                         /                 (------->/////
             \                    /                  /////////////

--
Dave Rasmussen - Systems Programmer/Manager, UW-Milwaukee Computing Svcs Div.
Internet:dave@uwm.edu, Uucp:uwm!dave, Bitnet:dave%uwm.edu@INTERBIT

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov8.133951.7304@com50.c2s.mn.org> craig@com50.c2s.mn.org (Craig Wilson) writes:
>In article <288@crucible.UUCP> al@crucible.UUCP (Al Evans) writes:
>>In article <1990Nov6.030346.11113@com50.c2s.mn.org> craig@com50.c2s.mn.org (Craig Wilson) writes:
>>The net is the first human society in which everybody has the same quality
>>of weapons -- which is to say, none at all. I think the introduction of
>>ANY "weapon" -- even a legislative or executive authority -- would be,
>>at best, an attempt to stuff worms back into the can. Failing *new*
>>ideas, I suspect ostracism is the only workable technique of enforcing
>>any standards of behavior.
>>					--Al Evans--
>
>I am afraid that I must disagree about the weapons being equal.  Being several
>modem connections away from the Internet backbone, my firing rate is at musket
>level while those on the backbone have a machine gun rate.

There isn't even a lack of weaponry ..

This recent flap over DDMI.COM showed some examples.  There was at least
one e-mail bombing of the site.  A simple shell script is enough to
bomb somebody.

A death-threat was made -- a shell script (less than 20 lines) was
written which, if installed at an active & well-connected site,
would effectively kill off any attempt by that site to make any
postings.

Those were despite the normal conversational weapons of calling each
other names.

So, there are weapons.  As the technologies improve surely the weapons
will be more deadly.

>With respect to authority, there IS some authority in the guidelines and the
>adherence most sites give to them.

The fortunate thing about what authority there is, is that it was
mutually agreed to & debated/fought-over in public & was (in all
ways) a Community Decision.  Those who were interested enough
partook, those who weren't have to live with the results.

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>

karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu (11/20/90)

david@twg.com writes:
   This recent flap over DDMI.COM...
   A death-threat was made -- a shell script (less than 20 lines) was
   written which, if installed at an active & well-connected site,
   would effectively kill off any attempt by that site to make any
   postings.

It's 28 lines; 18 of it is the ed(1) stuff to turn a posting into a
cancellation of itself.  The rest is framework for deciding whether to
cancel and so forth.

But the script was largely an exercise, and the suggestion was never
intended to be taken nearly as seriously as it was.  Nor did I make
the original threat; I just created an implementation of the threat.

king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) (11/21/90)

In article <8313@gollum.twg.com> david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
>The fortunate thing about what authority there is, is that it was
>mutually agreed to & debated/fought-over in public & was (in all
>ways) a Community Decision.  Those who were interested enough
>partook, those who weren't have to live with the results.

A Community Decision?  You mean, as in a Commune?  You mean, as in
Communism!?!?!?

"I have a list..."

(It's a joke, son, a JOKE!  :-)

--
---------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all   |        Steven King

craig@com50.c2s.mn.org (Craig Wilson) (11/21/90)

In article <8313@gollum.twg.com> david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
>In article I write:
>>With respect to authority, there IS some authority in the guidelines and the
>>adherence most sites give to them.

>The fortunate thing about what authority there is, is that it was
>mutually agreed to & debated/fought-over in public & was (in all
>ways) a Community Decision.  Those who were interested enough
>partook, those who weren't have to live with the results.

This sounds suspiciously like some democracies I know.

/craig

cat@tygra.ddmi.com (CAT-TALK Maint. Account) (11/21/90)

In article <KARL.90Nov20091321@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu writes:
"david@twg.com writes:
"   This recent flap over DDMI.COM...
"   A death-threat was made -- a shell script (less than 20 lines) was
"   written which, if installed at an active & well-connected site,
"   would effectively kill off any attempt by that site to make any
"   postings.
"

Hmmm. No death threat as far as I can tell.

"It's 28 lines; 18 of it is the ed(1) stuff to turn a posting into a
"cancellation of itself.  The rest is framework for deciding whether to
"cancel and so forth.
"
"But the script was largely an exercise, and the suggestion was never
"intended to be taken nearly as seriously as it was.  Nor did I make
"the original threat; I just created an implementation of the threat.

Yes - I could take such a script and make it do the following:

    -- Look for any cancellation messages of articles belonging
       to this site but not originating (the cancel message, that
       is) from the original poster.

    -- Add the address of the poster of the cancel message to the
       database.

    -- Cancel any and all articles coming from that address as
       punishment for censorship.

Of course, I haven't written such a script. It would just be an
"exercise". ;->

karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu (11/22/90)

cat@tygra.ddmi.com writes:
      Yes - I could take such a script and make it do the following:
          -- Look for any cancellation messages of articles belonging
	     to this site but not originating (the cancel message, that
	     is) from the original poster.
          -- Add the address of the poster of the cancel message to the
	     database.
          -- Cancel any and all articles coming from that address as
	     punishment for censorship.

You misunderstand, Mr Palmer.

The death-sentence script generates cancellations that cannot be
distinguished as being from anyone other than the genuine originator.
The cancellations will never even get to your site for analysis,
because the Path: header, providing an audit trail for where an
article claims to have been, will prevent your feed site from sending
them to you.  They could even be injected at your feed site, where
they would certainly appear to have come from your site.

Assuming you could get around this rather fundamental assumption in
all incantations of news software, getting the cancellations in
question to your site, you (at your site; no one else) could detect
that they did not in fact originate locally, by noticing that you're
executing rnews rather than inews on articles with Message-ID:
<*@*.ddmi.com> headers.  But the addresses contained in the article
appear to be from your own site anyway.

Because of this, adding "the address of the poster of the cancel
message" to your auto-anti-censorship cancel generator would simply
inflict a deeper form of death-sentence on yourself.

Hari-kari by Usenet.

Poetic justice, and all that.

But not to worry; the version I wrote has a bug.  It cancels its own
cancellations, ad infinitum. :-)

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) (11/24/90)

In article <KARL.90Nov20091321@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu writes:
>david@twg.com writes:
>>This recent flap over DDMI.COM...
>>A death-threat was made -- a shell script (less than 20 lines) was
>>written which, if installed at an active & well-connected site,
>>would effectively kill off any attempt by that site to make any
>>postings.

In most cases, sysadms tend to be fairly level-headed people, and are the
ones called upon to deal with clients (i.e., people using the machine) who
are in somway being unreasonable.  In the case of ddmi, the sysadm was the
one people considered being unreasonable, so what is to happen?  And, of
course, the postmaster at ddmi's feed wasn't terribly levelheaded either (I
was on the receiving end of some of the unlevelheadedness, quite possibly
justifiably).

That's why the "death threat" was made.  But, like most cases like this, it
blew over, largely because most single sites are not capable of dealing with
the wrath of 100+ people worldwide 8-).

But what's going to happen next time?  Say JJ manages, deity knows how, to
get enough money to buy a cheap '386 and get a newsfeed from uunet, and then
starts posting his trash again.  What will the collective anarchy do then?

--
Sean Eric Fagan  | "*Never* knock on Death's door:  ring the bell and