[comp.org.eff.talk] selective reading

jmc@Gang-of-Four.stanford.edu (John McCarthy) (11/17/90)

I'm not sure this is the right newsgroup for this proposal.  If not,
I hope someone will point me in the right direction.

Too many articles are posted every day, even for the subset of newsgroups
that interest me.  I'm sure everyone else has the same problem.

Suppose someone undertakes to edit a newsgroup, e.g. this one.  He
reads all of it each day and labels some of the articles priority 1
and priority 2 and ignores what he considers junk.  He can use
whatever criteria he likes, e.g. he can ignore all articles that don't
agree with his politics.  The articles are suitably marked and anyone
who agrees with this editor's taste can get only those.

Someone with different ideas about what is worth reading can be a rival
editor.  Each editor will have his fans.

We can also imagine that an editor can span several newsgroups, so his
followers can be even lazier if they want.

There are several ways of realizing this.  The simplest for Usenet is
that an editor's list can be posted as just another item, and the
user has software that reads the list and displays the items.  Before
suggesting this to the maintainers of newsreading programs, I would
like to see some discussion of the idea, both as a social idea and
technically.

This is possible to do, and I even considered implementing it for a time,
but is it all that new?

The current publishing industry works that way, but for a more select
crowd.  The budding writers all submit their stories everywhere hoping
for a sale.  People read the magazines whose editorial style they like.

The editors get paid.  To be honest, as somebody who has been vaguely
like the sort of editor you suggest (without competition) I am not sure
how many people would do it as a hobby for any length of time.  It can
get trying at times.  (Particularly when you have to put up with
attack as well as the task at hand.)

jmc@Gang-of-Four.stanford.edu (John McCarthy) (11/19/90)

If we had the software for selective editing, we could see how
many editors would appear and how long they would keep up
assigning priorities.

king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) (11/19/90)

In article <JMC.90Nov16192511@Gang-of-Four.stanford.edu> jmc@Gang-of-Four.stanford.edu (John McCarthy) writes:
>Suppose someone undertakes to edit a newsgroup, e.g. this one.  He
>reads all of it each day and labels some of the articles priority 1
>and priority 2 and ignores what he considers junk.  He can use
>whatever criteria he likes, e.g. he can ignore all articles that don't
>agree with his politics.  The articles are suitably marked and anyone
>who agrees with this editor's taste can get only those.

Sorry to disappoint you, but it's been done.  It's being done.  And it seems
to be working just fine.  There's a plethora of moderated Usenet newsgroups.
They fall into two categories.  The first is strictly editted.  All
submissions go to the moderator and he chooses to print whichever he feels
appropriate.  The Telecom Digest (comp.dcom.telecom) is one of these, as is
the Risks Digest (comp.risks).  The other type of digest more closely follows
your idea.  For that type the moderator reads a newsgroups and distills it
down to just the interesting (his own definition) postings.  The group
rec.humor.funny is the only one of this type that comes to mind.

As far as I know there's no competition among digest editors.  I imagine that
such a thing would bring about great cries of wasted bandwidth and other
evils.

--
---------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all   |        Steven King

wex@pws.bull.com (Buckaroo Banzai) (11/22/90)

In article <JMC.90Nov16192511@Gang-of-Four.stanford.edu> jmc@Gang-of-Four.stanford.edu (John McCarthy) writes:
>Too many articles are posted every day, even for the subset of newsgroups
>that interest me.  I'm sure everyone else has the same problem.
>
>Suppose someone undertakes to edit a newsgroup, e.g. this one.  He
>reads all of it each day and labels some of the articles priority 1
>and priority 2 and ignores what he considers junk.  He can use
   [...]
>Before
>suggesting this to the maintainers of newsreading programs, I would
>like to see some discussion of the idea, both as a social idea and
>technically.

Something similar to this idea has (I'm told) grown up on CMU's campus, based
around the Andrew Message System.  I'm away from my notes, but I think if you
check Borenstein's paper in CSCW'88 you'll find some mention of the emergent
role of editor in the context of AMS.

THe basic idea was that people found that (relatively trusted) colleagues
read particular groups and would go to those people to find out what was
going on therein.  Eventually these people got more or less well known and
started redictributing filtered versions all over campus.

On the Usenet today, there is rec.humor.funny, which contains culls from
the vast volume of rec.humor.  Also John Berryhill offers a no-fee occasional
compilation of postings to alt.drugs for sites which censor that group.

--
--Alan Wexelblat			phone: (508)294-7485
Bull Worldwide Information Systems	internet: wex@pws.bull.com

emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) (11/26/90)

In article <5367@orchid3.UUCP> king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) writes:

   In article <JMC.90Nov16192511@Gang-of-Four.stanford.edu> jmc@Gang-of-Four.stanford.edu (John McCarthy) writes:
   >Suppose someone undertakes to edit a newsgroup, e.g. this one.  He
   >reads all of it each day and labels some of the articles priority 1
   >and priority 2 and ignores what he considers junk.

   Sorry to disappoint you, but it's been done.  It's being done.  And
   it seems to be working just fine.  There's a plethora of moderated
   Usenet newsgroups.... The other type of digest more closely follows
   your idea.  For that type the moderator reads a newsgroups and
   distills it down to just the interesting (his own definition)
   postings.

comp.archives is an example of the 2d type, exc. instead of distilling
from a single group or from an incoming stream of mail (a la
rec.humor.funny) it takes its source material from a bunch of groups.

It's not really a discussion group though, and the material doesn't
age as much with time as (say) this group does; while you might want
to look through an index of 6 month old comp.archives articles looking
for something, chances are you're not going to be too keen on trying
to keep up with conversations here with a lag of even as little as a
week.

Moderated groups are also prone to failure, e.g. the periodic
disappearance of comp.sys.sun whenever the moderator gets a new (and
better) job.

--Ed
emv@ox.com
moderator, comp.archives