[comp.org.eff.talk] NOVA: we know where you live

eli@memora.pws.bull.com (Steve Elias) (11/29/90)

[sorry if this is a repost, or worse yet, a rerepost.]

check out this week's NOVA episode.  once again, we've got uncanny
syncronicity between their program and the latest threads here in
the electronic frontier.

it's a kick when they bring up Dan Quayle's credit report.  he shops
at Sears extensively, ya know.  next, they bring up the credit record
of John G. De Armond!  (just kidding :)

on another note -- if you are concerned about your credit record and
who is querying or modifying it, you might consider joining the TRW
Credentials service.  no vested interest -- i'm just a satisfied
customer.  they've got an 800 number.  call 800 info if you're
interested.  and be sure to check out the NOVA episode if you've got
the time and a TV.

peace, cowpokes.

/eli
eli@spdcc.com

--
/* eli@spdcc.com 617 932 5598  508 294 7556   don't send to eli@pws.bull.com */
/* "Then Eli answered and said, Go in peace: and may the God of

mkapor@eff.org (Mitch Kapor) (12/03/90)

 A word of warning about the TRW Credentials service.  In my opinion it's
really a device for TRW to get you to voluntarily enahnce the quality of
their database.  It works like this.  You sign for about $35 a year and you get
to see what they have on you and who's asking for it.  Leaving aside the
propriety of making you pay to see information about yourself, what happens
after you sign up is that they want you to fill out an incredibly detailed
questionnaire about yourself, your expenditures, income, and lifestyle.  They
promise you that if you complete the questionnaire you'll recieve many other
valuable benefits.  But what happens is that they stick all this information
right into the database so everybody else can see it.

When I found out what the deal was I wrote a really angry letter to the CEO
and demanded my money back and an apology.  I got the money but no
satisfaction.

Credit bureaus are a scummy business, if you ask me.

rose@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Dan Rose) (12/03/90)

mkapor@eff.org (Mitch Kapor) writes:
> A word of warning about the TRW Credentials service.   . . .
>. . .  Leaving aside the
>propriety of making you pay to see information about yourself . . .

This was the think that bothered me the most.  Imagine if you had to
pay a bank to tell you your balance.  I tore up their letter.
I really don't think people should support this service.  This information
ought to be available anyway.

Of course, since I didn't sign up, I didn't even know about the further
invasion of privacy.

--
Dan Rose		{ucbvax,decvax,akgua,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!beowulf!rose.uucp
UC San Diego		rose%cs@ucsd.edu