[comp.org.eff.talk] Interesting case relating to Social Security Numbers

gl8f@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (12/03/90)

There's in interesting case in Illinois, in which Planned Parenthood
is challenging a state law requiring parents to provide all sorts of
personal information for birth certificates, including social security
numbers of both parents.

The Washington Post today (12/2) quotes Joan Criswell, president of
Planned Parenthood of East-Central Illinois, as saying "This is not
public informatin. And once it gets put into a major data bank, you
lose all control over the information."

Apparently the case is proceeding against both the state and the feds
at the same time: the state requires the certificates, while the
federal government is requiring the states to collect a smaller set of
information for health statistics. (?)

Anyway, I haven't seen much from the EFF yet concerning privacy and
electronic databases, but perhaps they'd be interested in filing a
friend of the court brief concerning SSN disclosure?

josef@nixpbe.nixdorf.de (josef Moellers) (12/04/90)

In <1990Dec2.223620.11428@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> gl8f@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) writes:

>There's in interesting case in Illinois, in which Planned Parenthood
>is challenging a state law requiring parents to provide all sorts of
>personal information for birth certificates, including social security
>numbers of both parents.

>The Washington Post today (12/2) quotes Joan Criswell, president of
>Planned Parenthood of East-Central Illinois, as saying "This is not
>public informatin. And once it gets put into a major data bank, you
>lose all control over the information."

Sorry for someone from way over here to stick my nose into this American
issue but from what I see and hear I have the following to add:

Here in Germany (and other parts of Europe) we have very stringent laws
on registring ("Meldegsetz"): You can't move Your bum lest You
report to the local authorities.
In the US this is quite contrary: You don't have to report to anyone,
You can just vanish into thin air and re-appear somewhere else without
anyone knowing who You are and where You come from.
Maybe the SSN is one of the ways or the only way of keeping track of a
person (who wants to lose his social security?)?
--
| Josef Moellers		| c/o Siemens Nixdorf Informationssysteme AG |
|  USA: mollers.pad@nixdorf.com	| Abt. STO-XS 113			     |