[comp.org.eff.talk] beat TRW

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Dec2.201133.16224@eff.org> mkapor@eff.org (Mitch Kapor) writes:
> A word of warning about the TRW Credentials service.  In my opinion it's
>really a device for TRW to get you to voluntarily enahnce the quality of
>their database.  It works like this.  You sign for about $35 a year and you get
>to see what they have on you and who's asking for it.  Leaving aside the
>propriety of making you pay to see information about yourself, what happens
>after you sign up is that they want you to fill out an incredibly detailed
>questionnaire about yourself, your expenditures, income, and lifestyle.  They

Aha!  I tricked them.

First, I signed up for the "trial one month subscription".  As soon as
I got my "status report" showing all sorts of great stuff about me (like
the fact that I've taken out three times as many loans as I really have,
and that I've paid them all back in full), I sent of a letter saying
"I don't want to answer your silly questions, please cancel my service."

Oh well, it was funnier when it happened, I guess...

--
J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Systems Mangler - UH Dept. of Mathemagics - (713) 749-2120

john@qip.UUCP (John Moore) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec3.063827.20677@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
]
]Aha!  I tricked them.
]
]First, I signed up for the "trial one month subscription".  As soon as
]I got my "status report" showing all sorts of great stuff about me (like
]the fact that I've taken out three times as many loans as I really have,
]and that I've paid them all back in full), I sent of a letter saying
]"I don't want to answer your silly questions, please cancel my service."

And they probably quietly put a few phony bad credit references in your file
when they got your letter.
--
John Moore HAM:NJ7E/CAP:T-Bird 381 {ames!ncar!noao!asuvax,mcdphx}!anasaz!john
USnail: 7525 Clearwater Pkwy, Scottsdale,AZ 85253 anasaz!john@asuvax.eas.asu.edu

koch@motcid.UUCP (Clifton Koch) (12/05/90)

->> A word of warning about the TRW Credentials service.  In my opinion it's
->>really a device for TRW to get you to voluntarily enahnce the quality of
->>their database. It works like this. You sign for about $35 a year and you get
->>to see what they have on you and who's asking for it.  Leaving aside the
->>propriety of making you pay to see information about yourself, what happens
->>after you sign up is that they want you to fill out an incredibly detailed
->>questionnaire about yourself, your expenditures, income, and lifestyle.  They
->
-> Aha!  I tricked them.
->
-> First, I signed up for the "trial one month subscription".  As soon as
-> I got my "status report" showing all sorts of great stuff about me (like
-> the fact that I've taken out three times as many loans as I really have,
-> and that I've paid them all back in full), I sent of a letter saying
-> "I don't want to answer your silly questions, please cancel my service."

  Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure someone will :-), but I believe
that credit bureaus are required by federal law to give you a copy of your
credit report if someone has requested it within the previous 60 days.  I've
done this in the past, and have noticed a number of errors in the report.
None of them were bad, so I didn't try to correct them.  I'm not sure if
the report I received is as complete as if you sign up for their 'service',
though.

Cliff Koch
... [uunet | mcdchg | gatech]!motcid!koch

... [uunet | mcdchg | gatech | att]!motcid!koch

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (12/05/90)

In article <5601@navy22.UUCP> koch@motcid.UUCP (Clifton Koch) writes:
>  Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure someone will :-), but I believe
>that credit bureaus are required by federal law to give you a copy of your
>credit report if someone has requested it within the previous 60 days.  I've

I believe they're required to give you a copy only if your application
for credit was denied.

:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :
:..........................................................................:

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (12/06/90)

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) writes:

}In article <5601@navy22.UUCP> koch@motcid.UUCP (Clifton Koch) writes:
}>...
}>  Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure someone will :-), but I believe
}>that credit bureaus are required by federal law to give you a copy of your
}>credit report if someone has requested it within the previous 60 days.  I've

}I believe they're required to give you a copy only if your application
}for credit was denied.

I though it was even more limited than that: only if your application for
credit was denied because of information in the credit report.

  /B\