[comp.org.eff.talk] Info on Lotus Marketplace

wex@dali.pws.bull.com (Buckaroo Banzai) (12/01/90)

I attended a presentation last night (11/29/90) made by the people who have
developed the (extensive, multimedia) on-line help system that ships with
Lotus Marketplace, Business (LMB).  Although this group is not the place for
repeating the user-interface and human factors items that were the main
focus of the discussion, I did manage to glean some facts of interest.

[Note that these are from my notes taken at high speed, plus a one-sheet
marketing glossy.  Any errors are my own.]

LMB is distributed on a chock-full CD-ROM.  There's 650 Meg of data,
compressed down from a 2 Gig original.  The data is "heavily encoded."  They
wouldn't say, but my guess is that they're using the DES encryption code
from Lotus Notes.

The CD is released quarterly; the purchase price of $695 (retail) gets you
one issue (but see below).  You can get 4 updates for $150.

LMB is implemented as a Hypercard stack.  Lotus had access to prerelease
versions of Hypercard 2.0.  All information can be exported as ASCII; some
info can be exported in other program's formats (presumably database, DTP
and spreadsheet programs).

There is extensive on-line help (65+meg of on-line manual, tutorials, multi-
media "movies") because the end user is assumed to be almost completely
computer-naive.  "Desktop marketing," the niche Lotus is trying to create,
is where DTP was when it first came out - lots of people know about the
domain, but they're largely unaware of desktop computers.

The process of generating a list from LMB goes in three steps.  First you
define the list (or call up a saved list).  List definition can be by any
data field (e.g. $$ (income or sales revenue), type of business [standard
industrial classification], location [Zip Code], area code, etc.)  Users can
also do sorts, merges, and joins on their list to expand or shrink it.  The
result of step 1 is a list of how many items the database contains that
match your criteria.

Once you have the list, you can go to step 2, which allows you to preview
and analyze the list.  The data can be previewed in standard formats, or you
can do a custom, two-level breakdown of the data, sorted by any field.  At
any point during steps 1 & 2 you can save the list (as ASCII).  Analyzed
lists cannot be re-opened by LMB.

Once you're happy with this, you then "buy" the names on the list.  Once
you've bought it, you can manipulate the "real" data, producing mailing
labels, phone lists, reports, etc.  You can also export the data as ASCII or
other programs' formats.

LMB has introduced a really innovative feature in the way you buy lists.
Included in LMB is a postage-meter-like counter.  It comes loaded with 5000
names.  Each time you buy a list, the number of names on that list is
subtracted from your meter.  Once you've bought a set of names, you own it
and can use it as many times as you like.  At any time, you can call up
Lotus with your credit card or purchase order and get meter increments (at
$400/5K names - dirt cheap compared with the per-name costs of standard
mailing lists).

This buying of name-credits can be done at any time, independent of which
version of the CDROM you have.  Another interesting feature is that when you
buy the LMB box from a software retailer, the disk that you get contains
*bogus data*.  You have to fill out and fax/mail in a form to get the real
CD.

This is done for two main reasons: 1) users will always get the latest
version of the database, even if the box has sat on the shelves for years.
2) Lotus will use this mechanism to "control" who gets the list.  For LMB,
the name of the business calling in will be matched against a "list of known
fraudulent businesses" provided by "credit bureaus and the Better Business
Bureau."

Lotus delayed releasing LMB until their lawyers verified that it was legal
for them to refuse selectively to sell the software if they refunded the
purchase price.

They plan to use a similar scheme of "control" with Lotus Marketplace,
Households (LMH).  That version (available 1Q91) does not include phone
numbers, and will contain information on "120 million people and 80 million
U.S. households."

The information supplied with LMB is licensed from Trinet, Inc.  The info
for LMH comes from Equifax Marketing Decision Systems, Inc.

--
--Alan Wexelblat			phone: (508)294-7485
Bull Worldwide Information Systems	internet: wex@spdcc.com (for now)

ddean@rain.andrew.cmu.edu (Drew Dean) (12/01/90)

	Thanks, Alex, for an informative posting.  I note though, that your
posting refers mostly to the Business version of Lotus Marketplace.  I don't
think businesses are in quite the same situation as individuals though.
Businesses are all regestired somewhere, and that's public info.  Businesses
presumably exist for the purpose of selling things, and are always looking
to do this more effectively.  If an unsolicited ad comes in that helps in
this, it's generally a good thing.  Also, unsolicited advertisements can be
a great way to find out what your competitors are doing (like when they
announce a product similar to what you're developing; this actually happened
to me).  And mail addressed to VP, XYZ, Inc. Somewhere USA doesn't provide
much of a privacy invasion.  Lotus Marketplace Home (or whatever it's
called; I guess I need a TM in there too so Lotus's lawyers don't come
banging down my door :-)) seems much more dangerous, though, and what most
people seem to be upset about.
	Also, how secure is "highly encoded" ?  Remember a few years ago the
"unbreakable" copy protection schemes, which were usually broken either
before the product was released or within 1 month if it was really hard ?
Can the NSA invert DES ? [Not to be paranoid, but it's still an open
question.]  Can someone else invert DES ?  Would encrypting a bunch of
common names do any good, ala encrypting the dictionary to find Unix
passwords ?

Drew Dean
Drew_Dean@rain.andrew.cmu.edu
[CMU provides my net connection; they don't necessarily agree with me.]
--

In article <11252@pt.cs.cmu.edu> ddean@rain.andrew.cmu.edu (Drew Dean) writes:
>	Also, how secure is "highly encoded" ?  Remember a few years ago the
>"unbreakable" copy protection schemes, which were usually broken either
>before the product was released or within 1 month if it was really hard ?
>Can the NSA invert DES ? [Not to be paranoid, but it's still an open
>question.]  Can someone else invert DES ?  Would encrypting a bunch of
>common names do any good, ala encrypting the dictionary to find Unix
>passwords ?

It shouldn't be necessary to break DES to get at the data on the disk.
Remember, the weakest link in most encryption schemes is the key.  And in
the case of Lotus Marketplace, the key is stored somewhere in the program
that reads the disk.  If the Hypercard stack includes custom XCMDs to
access the disk then they'd be wise to put it in there, but I wouldn't be
too surprised if it's in the Hypercard stack itself.  So, all you need is a
good disassembler to help you find the decryption key.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) (12/01/90)

wex> Once you're happy with this, you then "buy" the names on the list.
wex> Once you've bought it, you can manipulate the "real" data, producing
wex> mailing labels, phone lists, reports, etc.  You can also export the
wex> data as ASCII or other programs' formats.

wex> LMB has introduced a really innovative feature in the way you buy
wex> lists.  Included in LMB is a postage-meter-like counter.  It comes
wex> loaded with 5000 names.  Each time you buy a list, the number of names
wex> on that list is subtracted from your meter.  Once you've bought a set
wex> of names, you own it and can use it as many times as you like.  At any
wex> time, you can call up Lotus with your credit card or purchase order and
wex> get meter increments (at $400/5K names - dirt cheap compared with the
wex> per-name costs of standard mailing lists).

Ah, with as many hackers as there are out there who passionately hate Lotus,
I forsee a big underground research program to break the protection scheme
and scatter around millions of copies of programs to "fill your meter"
without the formality of a phone call to Lotus and an exchange of cash...

Get enough people using pirate meter fillers and Lotus won't make any money
on the product. Possibly the best way to kill it off :-).

Just what would the legal status of such a program be? It seems to me to
fall in the same area as using a pirate satellite decoder, which apparently
companies like HBO can successfully prosecute, although I am not sure why
after all, I didn't ask them to beam radio signals through my house, what
difference should it make if I decode them? (I can see it now, the SETI
people pick up a signal, and the next day the interglactic police show up
and vaporize the planet because earth didn't get the proper license for
their decoder...).
domain: tahorsley@csd.harris.com       USMail: Tom Horsley
  uucp: ...!uunet!hcx1!tahorsley               511 Kingbird Circle
                                               Delray Beach, FL  33444
+==== Censorship is the only form of Obscenity ======================+
|     (Wait, I forgot government tobacco subsidies...)               |
+====================================================================+

spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua) (12/03/90)

In article <TOM.90Nov30205918@hcx2.ssd.csd.harris.com> tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) writes:
<Ah, with as many hackers as there are out there who passionately hate Lotus,
<I forsee a big underground research program to break the protection scheme
<and scatter around millions of copies of programs to "fill your meter"
<without the formality of a phone call to Lotus and an exchange of cash...
<Get enough people using pirate meter fillers and Lotus won't make any money
<on the product. Possibly the best way to kill it off :-).

	You can bet that Lotus will put plenty of entries in the
database which ultimately get back to them.  This is a common practice
when you own a mailing list to keep track of who is using it.  There
is a term for it which slips my mind.

	Just another form of copy protection...

->Spike
--
The World - Public Access Unix - +1 617-739-9753  24hrs {3,12,24,96,192}00bps

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (12/10/90)

From: spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua)
>	You can bet that Lotus will put plenty of entries in the
>database which ultimately get back to them.  This is a common practice
>when you own a mailing list to keep track of who is using it.  There
>is a term for it which slips my mind.

"Ringers" is the term you're looking for. They're also used in
dictionaries, almanacs etc, obscure, harmless, but false pieces of
information which can prove copying. Sometimes when you see what
appears to be an amusing "blooper" in a dictionary it's just a ringer
and was put there on purpose.

It's a reliable way to catch mailing list theft.
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | {xylogics,uunet}!world!bzs | bzs@world.std.com

wcs) (12/10/90)

In article <BZS.90Dec9142813@world.std.com>, bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
> "Ringers" is the term you're looking for. They're also used in
> dictionaries, almanacs etc, obscure, harmless, but false pieces of
> information which can prove copying. Sometimes when you see what
> appears to be an amusing "blooper" in a dictionary it's just a ringer
> and was put there on purpose.

One problem I have with the Lotus stuff is that I use a similar
technique myself - the Time Magazine subscription goes to Time Stewart,
the New York Magazine goes to NY Stewart, the MCI Mail freebie went
to Richard Falken, etc.  I'll ask them to get rid of references to the
REAL people here, but I won't bother with the randoms.

				J. Fnord Stewart

--
				Pray for peace!
					Bill

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (12/11/90)

In article <11252@pt.cs.cmu.edu> ddean@rain.andrew.cmu.edu (Drew Dean) writes:
>	Also, how secure is "highly encoded" ?

More to the point, how easy is it going to be for an adventurous hacker to
change the 5000 to 80000000?  I would think that would be easier than
decrypting the data...

--
-----------------+
Sean Eric Fagan  | "*Never* knock on Death's door:  ring the bell and

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (12/14/90)

In article <BZS.90Dec9142813@world.std.com> bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:

>From: spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua)
>>	You can bet that Lotus will put plenty of entries in the
>>database which ultimately get back to them.  This is a common practice
>>when you own a mailing list to keep track of who is using it.  There
>>is a term for it which slips my mind.
>
>"Ringers" is the term you're looking for. They're also used in
>dictionaries, almanacs etc, obscure, harmless, but false pieces of
>information which can prove copying. Sometimes when you see what
>appears to be an amusing "blooper" in a dictionary it's just a ringer
>and was put there on purpose.
>
>It's a reliable way to catch mailing list theft.

	It's a neat method.
	Can you give examples of a dictionary ringer?  How would they work?

--
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (12/15/90)

>	Can you give examples of a dictionary ringer?  How would they work?

I don't have any examples off-hand, but every so often you'll see
someone point humorously at something like:

	percatious - see frumptious.

	frumptious - see percatious.

I suspect in most cases those sorts of things are ringers and were
inserted purposely. Of course, it's not in the dictonary's interest to
explain themselves, so who can really know (unless you can get an
insider to admit it.)
--

lws@comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman) (12/16/90)

ddean@rain.andrew.cmu.edu (Drew Dean) writes:
>	Also, how secure is "highly encoded" ?  Remember a few years ago the
>"unbreakable" copy protection schemes, which were usually broken either
>before the product was released or within 1 month if it was really hard ?
>Can the NSA invert DES ? [Not to be paranoid, but it's still an open
>question.]  Can someone else invert DES ?

It's not really an open question, it just requires a lot of CPU.
The NSA has the power, do they have the motivation?  Most other
places don't have the power right at hand, but here at Wang, we've
got thousands of machines on a LIN.  I'll bet that if I had the
motivation, I could write a distributed DES cracker running nights
and weekends and break the database in a couple of months.  Paying
off the right people at Lotus would probably be easier, though.

>Would encrypting a bunch of
>common names do any good, ala encrypting the dictionary to find Unix
>passwords ?

Probably.

--
Lyle                  Wang           lws@capybara.comm.wang.com
508 967 2322     Lowell, MA, USA     Source code: the _ultimate_ documentation.

tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) (12/17/90)

>	Can you give examples of a dictionary ringer?  How would they work?

I don't know if they were all ringers or not, but my edition of the OED
(that's Oxford English Dictionary, no, not the latest edition, the one
before that) contains a section on "Spurious words". These are words they
found in other dictionaries which they never found anywhere else in printed
english text (and they look at a *lot* of printed text!).

shore@mtxinu.COM (Melinda Shore) (12/18/90)

In article <TOM.90Dec17080636@hcx2.ssd.csd.harris.com> tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) writes:
|>	Can you give examples of a dictionary ringer?  How would they work?
|I don't know if they were all ringers or not, but my edition of the OED
|(that's Oxford English Dictionary, no, not the latest edition, the one
|before that) contains a section on "Spurious words". These are words they
|found in other dictionaries which they never found anywhere else in printed
|english text (and they look at a *lot* of printed text!).

This practice is fairly widespread.  In Grove's Encyclopedia of Music
and Musicians, for example, there are several completely fictitious
composers included, along with complete "biographies" and lists of works.
If these entries show up in another music encyclopedia, it provides
evidence that they've been plagiarizing from Grove's.  Now, the situation
is somewhat different from a database like Lotus', because when you
go to a dictionary or encyclopedia you generally have a name or term
and are looking for further information.  You never should have any
need to use one of the bogus entries.  In a database, on the other hand,
you typically have a description of what/who you're looking for and
want to find records matching that description.  I really don't know
how to keep bogus records from being retrieved other than to tag them,
and that gives the game away.
--
               Hardware brevis, software longa
Melinda Shore                                 shore@mtxinu.com

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (12/19/90)

In article <1990Dec18.080034.8237@mtxinu.COM> shore@mtxinu.com (Melinda Shore) writes:
>In article <TOM.90Dec17080636@hcx2.ssd.csd.harris.com> tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) writes:
>This practice is fairly widespread.  In Grove's Encyclopedia of Music
>and Musicians, for example, there are several completely fictitious
>composers included, along with complete "biographies" and lists of works.
>If these entries show up in another music encyclopedia, it provides
>evidence that they've been plagiarizing from Grove's.

Another example is Trivial Pursuit, where they apparently put ringer
questions and answers into the card sets to help flag plagiarizers.

						Bob Halloran
Internet: rkh@mtune.dptg.att.com		UUCP: att!mtune!rkh
Disclaimer: If you think AT&T would have ME as a spokesman, you're crazed.
Quote: "We have no plans at this time to introduce new, standalone
	Apple II models." --- Robert Puette, president of Apple USA.
"Apple II Forever"?  Looks like Forever = 13 years, 6 months
	(4/15/77 - 10/15/90)