[comp.org.eff.talk] Face it, Abernathy is clueless

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (12/10/90)

Abernathy really makes me ashamed to say I'm a degreed journalist and
that I've done no small amount of reporting...

In article <BcuVT2w163w@dogface>  writes:
>To Joe Abernathy (the Chronicle reporter)
>and to the AP reporter, I must say that I'm still waiting for the facts.

I talked to Abernathy on the phone soon after his big "porn on
the internet" story.

I tried to explain to him several times that USENET is *not* the
Internet, and that they aren't even the same sort of thing. (One's
a network, one's information.)

And he said something to the effect of "yes, but they are they same
thing, really."

He went on to say that "he was on the Internet".  Well, chron.com
is a uucp-only site to uunet, and Abernathy has an 8bit apple that
somehow gets mail via the pro-something network (which has a gateway
to USENET and email)...   I explained that he was not on "the Internet",
and told him what the Internet was (again, including mention of
being able to ping, telnet and ftp), and he still insisted he was on
the Internet and that the Internet was the same as USENET.

Abernathy should stick to writing 8bit Apple articles for whatever
magazine he used to write for and let the *real* reporters handle
the news stories.  Especially ones involving any understanding of
computing...

umount ~jet/soapbox
--
J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Systems Mangler - UH Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (12/14/90)

	You speak of a pro-something network.  It is pro-line.
Just wanted to clear that up, otherwise, I agree with your points.
(I haven't read the article though, I should)

--
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

john@qip.UUCP (John Moore) (12/21/90)

In article <1990Dec10.042944.1860@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
]
[...]
In this sense I tend to agree with Abernathy. We are a uucp site, but
most of our feeds come to us via the internet, and I exchange a lot
of email through the internet. Since many gateways exist between
the internet and usenet, it is IMHO reasonable to consider them to
be one big net. True - the modes of transfer and interaction are
different. Usenet doesn't have TCP utilities (finger, ftp, etc).
But - from the point of view of transportation of "pornography", I
am reasonably sure that the "pornography" that we and many other
usenet sites receive comes over the Internet. I think you are picking
at a nit and missing the important point.

--
John Moore HAM:NJ7E/CAP:T-Bird 381 {ames!ncar!noao!asuvax,mcdphx}!anasaz!john
USnail: 7525 Clearwater Pkwy, Scottsdale,AZ 85253 anasaz!john@asuvax.eas.asu.edu

ggw%wolves@cs.duke.edu (Gregory G. Woodbury) (12/22/90)

In article <5884@qip.UUCP> john@qip.UUCP (John Moore) writes:
>In <1990Dec10.042944.1860@lavaca.uh.edu> (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
>]
>]I talked to Abernathy on the phone soon after his big "porn on
>]the internet" story.
>]
>]I tried to explain to him several times that USENET is *not* the
>]Internet, and that they aren't even the same sort of thing. (One's
>]a network, one's information.)
>]
>]And he said something to the effect of "yes, but they are they same
>]thing, really."
>]
>]He went on to say that "he was on the Internet".
	:
	:
>]being able to ping, telnet and ftp), and he still insisted he was on
>]the Internet and that the Internet was the same as USENET.
>
>In this sense I tend to agree with Abernathy. We are a uucp site, but
>most of our feeds come to us via the internet, and I exchange a lot
>of email through the internet. Since many gateways exist between
>the internet and usenet, it is IMHO reasonable to consider them to
>be one big net. True - the modes of transfer and interaction are
>different. Usenet doesn't have TCP utilities (finger, ftp, etc).
>But - from the point of view of transportation of "pornography", I
>am reasonably sure that the "pornography" that we and many other
>usenet sites receive comes over the Internet. I think you are picking
>at a nit and missing the important point.

	The problem is that it is a damned important nit!  I run sites
that are both uucp/usenet only AND that are INTERNET connectible.  There
is a major difference - the INTERNET site has a FORMAL agreement in
place concerning the behaviour of the machine and its users in terms of
the network connection.

	(Note: I say internet connectible.  It currently follows all the
rules of the INTERNET even though the net is not directly connected at
this point in time.  I have an official registered IP address set and
will be totally ready once I get a physical wire from the site to
another site for use!)

	This message is being posted, however, from the usenet/uucp site
and there are no formal agreements binding it or me.  There are several
mutual understandings between me and mail site connections,  to the
extent that they feel comfortable allowing my machine to use them as
mail forwarders and to accept news and messages from my site.

	In various ways, I WISH I could get a real internet connection
at home for the same cost and ease as my usenet/uucp connections come to
me!

	To iterate some definitions that I have heard.  The INTERNET is
a formal network and protocol suite that requires specific agreements
and behaviours.
	UUCP is a protocol suite that defines how certain machines can
exchange data.  No binding aregeements are *required* to use uucp per
se.  (Sites may have various degrees of agreements)
	USENET is an ad hoc collection of sites (on several different
networks and using several different protocols) that exchange messages
in a compatible format and nominally all subscribing to the group named
news.announce.important.

	If anything USENET is a logical network that interesects in many
cases with the INTERNET.

	As J.Eric pointed out, Abernathy is being willfully ignorant
(yes - STUPID!) by insisting there is no difference.
--
Gregory G. Woodbury @ The Wolves Den UNIX, Durham NC
UUCP: ...dukcds!wolves!ggw   ...mcnc!wolves!ggw           [use the maps!]