[comp.org.eff.talk] USENET/INTERNET/Net connections

mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com (Mike Ungerman) (12/24/90)

I'm jumping in on the middle of this conversation, but it might be interesting
to see how many other ways "non-conforming" sites interconnect with the
networks.

For example, I am writing this from one of the bbs's networked through the
Proline network of Apple ][ computers.  Proline is Morgan Davis' software and
has been structured to emulate Unix in its shell and the mail and newsfeed
structures of the mail and newsfeeds found on Usenet and Internet.

We gateway primarily through Crash.com, although some of us are starting to
interface through local sites with customized scripting.

I know there are a number of bbs systems for the IBM/clones (like Waffle) that
allow mail and newsfeeds to be exchanged as well.  Again, there are no
agreements in place for conforming to any standards.

This is a bit off the subject matter of "electronic freedom" but does venture
into the enormity of just how large our electronic hookup environment is.  And
this does not include all the other networks of Fido bbs's, PCboard bbs's and
so on.