[comp.org.eff.talk] relative unsophistication of the feds

idjiot@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Terry Palfrey) (12/27/90)

don't for one second believe that the feds don't know how or can't
retrieve any computer operation in its running state if they so desire...

paranoia for the week.....hardware has backdoors too....

    =   o          \o
  =  _ /- _       _ |\ _
=   (_)> (_)     (_)l>(_)   we'll be seeing you
disinformation; misinformation; outright lies; truth......get your
filters ready the information boom is nigh ... a virtual explosion

sblair@upurbmw.dell.com (Steve Blair) (12/27/90)

In article <wRNTu1w163w@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca>, idjiot@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Terry Palfrey) writes:
|> don't for one second believe that the feds don't know how or can't
|> retrieve any computer operation in its running state if they so desire...
|>
|> paranoia for the week.....hardware has backdoors too....

WHOA.....

Some law enforcement types don't have the slightest clue of
how to get into a system. To wit, a call was received to a person
who worked in the UNIX support group. The caller was the Travis County(Austin) DA's office.

Seems that they'd confiscated a UNIX system with our s/w on it
in a drug raid. After a day of 2 of trying, and trying to get into
the system, they called in one of our UNIX support staff to the
DA's office to get into the system.

Specific generalities always get folks into trouble....me

steve

las@wnss (root) (12/30/90)

sblair@upurbmw.dell.com (Steve Blair) writes:

> In <wRNTu1w163w@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca>, idjiot@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Terry)
> |> don't for one second believe that the feds don't know how or can't
> |> retrieve any computer operation in its running state if they so desire...
>
> Some law enforcement types don't have the slightest clue of
> how to get into a system. To wit, a call was received to a person
> who worked in the UNIX support group.  The caller was the Travis County
> (Austin, Texas) District Attorney's office.
>
> Seems that they'd confiscated a UNIX system with our s/w on it
> in a drug raid. After a day of 2 of trying, and trying to get into
> the system, they called in one of our UNIX support staff to the
> DA's office to get into the system.
>
> steve

Steve points out that in one case, the District Attoreny's office lacked
the sophistication to deal with some evidence received in the course of a
drug raid.  But this may be an isolated instance.

At the Austin Police Department (Travis County, Texas - same city!) there
is (used to be?) at least one officer is quite familiar with computer
crime.  So familiar in fact that within in the last five years he ran a
BBS Sting on at least two occasions.  The mission, catch individuals
dealing in stolen telephone credit card numbers.   It was publically
reported (on television) that some of the users were identified, and
arrested.

As is often the case when dealing with multiple agencies, and multiple
juristiction (as was probably the case in the drug bust mentioned above)
one hand may not know what the other is doing, and one agency may not be
aware of the resources available at another agency.  Austin is a small
city.  I suspect the problem may be even worse in larger communities.

                   	    Lance Spangler
                 [...] cs.utexas.edu!dogface!wnss!las
	Damn fine coffee Norma!  Uh, that is you isn't it Norma?
ALL OBLIGATORY QUOTES, DISCLAIMERS, AND OTHER MEANINGLESS DRIVEL APPLIES!