[comp.org.eff.talk] Can we stay on the subject, please?

gray@s5000.RSVL.UNISYS.COM (Bill Gray x2128) (01/03/91)

In article <ABRAMS.90Dec19001938@division.cs.columbia.edu> abrams@cs.columbia.edu (Steven Abrams) writes:
>In article <5308@rsiatl.Dixie.Com> jgd@Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond)
>takes my bait and writes:
>>abrams@cs.columbia.edu (Steven Abrams) writes:
>>>Is this sufficient reason for making databases illegal? This is
>>>almost along the lines of the "guns don't kill people" type of
                                  ^^^^
stuff deleted

>>Yes it is.  The gun analogy is not quite right.  In general, things
                  ^^^ ^^^^^^^
>>that can easily cause harm to people through inadvertant use and/or
>>things that have the potential for mass destruction are most heavily
>>regulated.  Plus the degree of regulation (should) depend on the ease
>>of use of the potential harmful force.

stuff deleted

>sarcastically, but it was meant to get a reaction.  To put databases
>in the same category as guns or explosives is ludicrous, in my
        ^^^^ ^^^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^^^^^
>opinion.  Let me explain what I feel to be true about databases,

Please do.

>computers and regulations.  These are IMHO, and not meant to be
>construed as law or my opinion of law.

Lucky us.

>4) The fact that a device can be misused to harm people is not cause
>in and of itself for regulation.  Yes, guns and explosives are and
                                   ^^^  ^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^
>should be heavily regulated.  Probably because if you use a gun
 ^^^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
>correctly, you shoot someone or something, not only if you misuse it.
>And explosives blow things up as a rule, not an exception.  Knives, on
>the other hand, have many uses.  They cut wood, meat, wires, and yes,
>they kill people.  But they are not (nor should they be) regulated.

I may be naive, but I thought this forum was for issues arising from the
increasingly computerized world in which we live.  This new malignancy from
Lotus certainly qualifies, and I appreciate hearing from writers who have
something to contribute to the discussion.

However--I am a member of a minority that has been the subject of deadly
persecution by both mobs and governments.  As a result, I have studied the
issues involved in self-defense and weapons regulation with considerable care.
I do *not* pretend to be an attorney, but I suspect that on this subject I
could give at least some of them a run for their copious sums of money.

Are you getting mad yet?  Are you itching to hit the 'j' key yet?  Are you
screaming (even if silently) that this is *not* the place for "gun nuts" to
spout off their tiresome drivel?

That's how I feel about the anti-gun crowd, except I have actually studied
facts and I know that they are wrong.

So here's the deal I offer:  if your imagination is so infertile you cannot
argue about Lotus w/o referring to firearms, don't post.  If you just cannot
bring yourself to keep still about firearms in this forum, expect rebuttals
on the firearms-related errors you post.  For my part, I'll keep still about
the rape of the Second Amendment as long as the rapists are discreet.

Bill
--
: gray@rsvl.unisys.com                      :                                  :
:                                           :  My gun is safer than Ted        :