[comp.org.eff.talk] Anonymous postings

gwh@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan09.175609.6303@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>Assume serious legal action begins.  It has to look for a target.  There
>are no targets.  Perhaps it goes away frustrated, but all it takes is one
>plaintiff not willing to go away.
>
>Targets include uunet and the NSF to begin with.  Or some big sites.
>
>Problem is that at many sites all it would take is a whiff of a lawsuit to
>have the site removed from the net by admins who are unaware of usenet or
>uncomfortable with it.   "Who needs trouble?"

Ok, Brad has neatly summarized the crux of the real problem here.  I have a
suggestion, a small proposal for 1) a Usenet local admin policy and
2) a law to back it up.

	What I'm suggesting is this:  We create an administrative policy guide
for News admins.  Simply; it is not the responsibility of a news site to check
any information about any incoming news; however, if the site admin is notified
that an article at that site is illegal/libelous/etc, it is that site's
responsibility to as soon as reasonable locally cancel it.

	Supporting this, we mount a drive to get the US Congress to approve a
law that supports this: basically, absolving any computer owner from legal
responsibility for an article that they did not origionate that they did not
know to be illegal in some way.

	Suggestions?  Flamage?  I'm willing to send _my_ congresspeople a horde
of letters... are you, for the long-term good of Usenet and other computer
systems.

  == George William Herbert ==   * UNIX ate my last .sig, Waiting for Plan 9! *
 == JOAT for Hire: Anything, ==  ######### I do Naval Architecture,  ##########
== + Anywhere, at my price. + == # Spacecraft Design, UNIX Systems Consulting #
 == + gwh@ocf.berkeley.edu + ==  # RPG writing/development, and lots of other #
  == +   ucbvax!ocf!gwh   + ==   ## random stuff, of course.  I'm a JOAT 8-) ##

kadie@cs.uiuc.edu (Carl M. Kadie) (01/11/91)

The ACLU handbook on the rights of authors and artists offers this
information:

"Who can sued in a libel or privacy case?

The original writer or creator is always directly answerable, much as
the driver of a delivery truck is answerable for any accident. The
employer of the writer, if any, is also answerable, like the employer
of a driver. The publisher/broadcaster of the work may also be
answerable, even if the writer is a free-lance contributor; and
individual editors, producers, and collaborators who participate in the
creation of a work may also be held answerable [187].

It occasionally happens that a plaintiff sues the printer of a work,
its distributor and/or retailer, even the advertisers who have
sponsored it. However, because of the Supreme Court's decision in the
Getz case requiring plaintiffs to prove that libelous statements have
been published with fault on the part of the defendant, it seems
unlikely that tangential defendants will be found liable [188].

 ------
[187] For a complex but important recent discussion of the potential
defamation liability of the persons and entities in the publishing
process -- original newspaper publishers vs. paperback (re)publishers,
original reports vs. paperback editor, etc -- see Karaduman v. Newsday,
51 N.Y.2d 531 (1980)

[188] See, e.g., Maynard v. Port Publications, Inc., 98 Wis.2d 555,
297, N.W.2d 500(1980]
 -------
  "

I think a Usenet BBS owner is more like a conventional printer or
distributor than like a conventional publisher. Like a [conventional]
printer and distributor, the BBS owner doesn't necessarily read the
material, but he or she knows where the material comes from.

Or to use Brad Templeton's terminology, conventional printing
and distribution is a unmonitored, nonanonymous system.

[The quote is from _The Rights of Authors and Artists: Comprehensive
and Up-to-Date, A Basic Guide to the Legal Rights of Authors and
Artists_ (An American Civil Liberties Union Handbook), 1983, by
Kenneth P. Norwick & Jerry Simon Chasen with Henry R. Kaufman]

--
Carl Kadie -- kadie@cs.uiuc.edu -- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Fourth Amendment (War-on-Drugs version): The right of the people to be secure

jbuck@galileo.berkeley.edu (Joe Buck) (01/11/91)

In article <40305@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, gwh@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) writes:
> 	What I'm suggesting is this:  We create an administrative policy guide
> for News admins.  Simply; it is not the responsibility of a news site to check
> any information about any incoming news; however, if the site admin is notified
> that an article at that site is illegal/libelous/etc, it is that site's
> responsibility to as soon as reasonable locally cancel it.

> 	Supporting this, we mount a drive to get the US Congress to approve a
> law that supports this: basically, absolving any computer owner from legal
> responsibility for an article that they did not origionate that they did not
> know to be illegal in some way.

George, Usenet is an international network.  Brad Templeton, who raised this
issue, is a Canadian.  The US congress has jurisdiction of only a very limited
part of the worldwide network.

Different countries have different laws.   Most western democracies besides
the US have limits on racist speech; in many cases these laws were put on
the books to help keep the Nazis and Fascists from rising again.  This has
caused problems in the past.

Anyone remember Don Black?  He identified himself as an "identity Christian" --
this is a hate group that claims Jesus Christ was really of Teutonic stock
and had nothing to do with the Jews, and that denies that the Holocaust
ever took place.  Many of his postings explicitly violated the laws of
many European countries -- they were often extremely anti-Semitic (I am
not talking anti-Israeli; I am talking about explicit pro-Nazi stuff).
For the early part of his Usenet career, net.politics went to Europe.
While one of the reasons for cutting the transmission was cost, several
system administrators cited laws against "hate literature" as a reason as
well.

Even if this weren't a problem, getting the attention of Congress to the
legal status of Usenet is likely to backfire.  Can you imagine what Jesse
Helms will do when alt.sex.bondage is brought to his attention?  Or even
soc.motss?

I'm afraid that any attempt to "fix" the ambiguous legal situation will
only make the problems worse, and that the best solutions are to treat
problem articles on a case-by-case basis.

Here are some suggested responses to various possibilities; they are
only suggestions based on my seven years or so around here:

Example 1: someone posts a stolen credit card number on the net.

Action: any system administrator who sees it should immediately forge
a cancel message, and alert news.admin and other appropriate channels
so it is removed wherever possible.

Example 2: someone posts proprietary or licensed software on the net.

This has happened before.  ONCE IT HAS BEEN MADE CERTAIN THAT THE
POSTING WAS ILLEGAL, procedure #1 should be followed.  (In one of
the more notorious occurrences of this, Reed College removed itself
from the net completely after a student there illegally posted source
code).  In addition, a news.announce.important message should alert
people at sites where cancel messages may not have reached that the
indicated software is illegal and should be deleted.  Software companies
are familiar enough with how networks operate that I anticipate no
trouble from them is this procedure is followed thoroughly.

Example 3: "hate literature" type postings (extremely vile and
racist postings that may be illegal in some countries)

In the US, let them stand; flame the hell out of the jerk that
sent them.  In the past, it's often turned out that for the really
sickening postings, the real sender is not the person in the From:
line and that person is an innocent victim of a forged posting.
If system administrators in other countries have a concern,
they can decide on their own to cancel the articles:
control messages should be limited in distribution to specific countries
(this works best in those areas where the network is more closely
organized and administered).  The net as a whole can be made aware
of problems in news.admin.

Example 4: allegations of libel/slander.

99 times out of a hundred, this is just a round of namecalling
that's gotten out of hand -- I prefer to work on soothing the
ill feelings and correcting any errors than to treat it as a
legal issue.

There was only one semi-serious threat of a suit that I recall --
the idea was that harrassment of women on the net was so severe that
companies that carry the net in the US could be sued under the
equal employment opportunity/affirmative action rules, for providing
conditions that discriminate against women.  The person in question
was the infamous Mark Ethan Smith.  Nothing ever came of it,
partly because comp.society.women was approved (oh, what a
glorious war that one was).

I think that in such cases we should look for some kind of
face-saving compromise for all parties; usually the person
making the noise does have a legitimate grievance but has lost
all sense of proportion.  As someone said, "after all, it's only ones
and zeros..."

Some purists say that no one should ever post forged cancel messages
under any conditions.  Given that the US government has seized
people's computers and threatened them with jail because actions
#1 or #2 above were done to their BBSes, can you really expect
system administrators and owners from taking that kind of risk?

--
Joe Buck
jbuck@galileo.berkeley.edu	 {uunet,ucbvax}!galileo.berkeley.edu!jbuck

I must agree that we must seek nothing specific for USENET.
Let the net grow and become important.  Then when the lawmakers come, they
will have to codify what's there instead of trying to change it to
something else.

The creation of a new class of information distributor, halfway between
common carrier/enhanced service provider and publisher, to fit the BBS
and BBS network world is something that we're almost ready for, but no
great need to rush it.    Until they start bringing out their goons.

When the goons come, it is too late for those they attack, but far from too
late for the rest.   Instead, the goons are (as they have been in the case
of the formation of the EFF) the instigation of a proper effort on our part.

dutcher@seas.gwu.edu (Sylvia Dutcher) (01/11/91)

In article <40305@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> gwh@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) writes:
>	Supporting this, we mount a drive to get the US Congress to approve a
>law that supports this: basically, absolving any computer owner from legal
>responsibility for an article that they did not origionate that they did not
Phil Gagner, my husband who's a lawyer and computer scientist, comments:
When Congress passes a statute, it defines narrowly the scope of the law in
that area.  I do not believe that we have enough experience with computer
communication systems to draft a good law.  Check out the proposed computer
virus law pending in Congress for a really poorly drafted statute, based on
a lack of technical understanding of the consequences of the law.
  Probably better to let the courts, with their strong tendency to protect
1st Amendment values, wrestle with the problem.  Congressional "protection" of
an activity is sometimes the kiss of death.

mikeh@microme.uucp (Michael L. Hasenfratz) (01/12/91)

efdca

walter@sumax.seattleu.edu (walter) (01/13/91)

The following is a quote from a message posted on 1-10-91 RE: "Anonymous
postings" by George William Herbert in a discussion concerning liability
of news administrators at USENET sites. I think George offers a solution
here that doesn't actually address what Brad was referring to.

>>Assume serious legal action begins.  It has to look for a target.
>>There are no targets.  Perhaps it goes away frustrated, but all it
>>takes is one plaintiff not willing to go away.
>>
>>Targets include uunet and the NSF to begin with.  Or some big sites.
>>
>>Problem is that at many sites all it would take is a whiff of a
>>lawsuit to have the site removed from the net by admins who are unaware
>>of usenet or uncomfortable with it.   "Who needs trouble?"
>
>Ok, Brad has neatly summarized the crux of the real problem here.  I
>have a >suggestion, a small proposal for 1) a Usenet local admin policy
>and  >2) a law to back it up.
>
>What I'm suggesting is this:  We create an administrative policy guide
>for News admins.  Simply; it is not the responsibility of a news site to
>check any information about any incoming news; however, if the site
>admin is notified that an article at that site is illegal/libelous/etc,
>it is that site's responsibility to as soon as reasonable locally cancel
>it.
>
>Supporting this, we mount a drive to get the US Congress to approve a
>law that supports this: basically, absolving any computer owner from
>legal responsibility for an article that they did not origionate that
>they did not >know to be illegal in some way.

     It is my perception that SOMEONE will always be the target until
American society itself changes. Whether we like it or not, we live in
litigious times. When someone does something we don't like, we are apt
to seek out and assign blame. If we are personally impacted, we seek
out and assign blame with the greatest of vigor. (i.e. in cases where
potentially libelous statements are issued) If you absolve site
administrators of responsibility for information that is libelous (or
otherwise illegal) as long as they are personally unaware the information
exists or that it is illegal, you will most likely find it necessary to
assign responsibility to some OTHER person or organization. With
anonymous postings, the problem is enhanced. Who's to blame? If no one
can be blamed, how can the alleged injured/libeled party gain redress?
Maybe, in the interest of fostering free speech, Congress should pass an
ACT exempting the NET from libel laws. How realistic would we be to
expect this to happen in the near future?

     If one feels they've been damaged, they wish and petition for legal
remedy. Since the concept of no fault libel does not yet exist in the
U.S., (granted, we cut some slack where public figures are concerned) you
and your representatives in Congress would be fighting a strong
lobby --- not the least of which would be a bevy of lawyers who consider
libel litigation as their bread & butter. Libel, of course, is just one
of several arenas where litigation can impact USENET or ANY public
computer telecommunications NET.

     So, who or what shall we blame -- OR -- how do we change what
seems inherent in human nature? In the process of pushing the sort of
legislation you're interested in through Congress, you'll have to
answer one or both of those questions. Then there is the matter of
implementing your answers. I wish you luck in this project. Color me
pessimistic in the short term, however.

              Walter Scott

wrs@apple.com (Walter Smith) (01/13/91)

In article <10129@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> jbuck@galileo.berkeley.edu (Joe
Buck) writes:
> ...getting the attention of Congress to the
> legal status of Usenet is likely to backfire...
>
> There was only one semi-serious threat of a suit that I recall --
> the idea was that harrassment of women on the net was so severe that
> companies that carry the net in the US could be sued under the
> equal employment opportunity/affirmative action rules, for providing
> conditions that discriminate against women.

Interesting anecdote:  The entire alt.sex hierarchy was removed from
internal machines here at Apple because of fear of lawsuits under
California's sexual harassment law.  Several of the messages in the
ensuing uproar said that attempts to change this policy by calling Usenet
to the attention of the Apple legal department were likely to backfire.
(See, even *we're* scared of our legal department! :-)  Getting the
"Establishment" to understand the potential of computer networks will have
to be a gentle, gradual process to avoid reflexive panic reactions.

- Walt

--
Walter Smith                            wrs@apple.com, apple!wrs
Apple Computer, Inc.                    (408) 974-5892

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (01/13/91)

Good point, Wally, about gradual accommodation of the public to the
potential of computer networks.  But why is that?  Obviously, the
public has been primed to react negatively.  And keeps getting
negative reinforcement from law enforcement and corporate security
types, not to mention the moralists who are active on every cultural
front.  This is going to take as long as the Mideast to resolve...
have courage.

Bob Jacobson

mcbride@rust.zso.dec.com (Melinda McBride) (01/13/91)

In article <11705@goofy.Apple.COM> wrs@apple.com (Walter Smith) writes:

>Interesting anecdote:  The entire alt.sex hierarchy was removed from
>internal machines here at Apple because of fear of lawsuits under
>California's sexual harassment law.

At my site, management decided to remove the entire alt hierarchy
because of concerns about liabilty under anti-harassment laws.  And
our site manager made the same threat to people who complained--if we
weren't careful, we might lose even more access to USENET (and our own
internal VAX NOTES conferences that are not directly work related).

It scares me that even computer companies such as Digital and Apple,
who should know better, feel they must take such a heavy-handed approach
to controlling access to information.

Melinda McBride
Open Systems Publishing Tools Group	decwrl!rust!mcbride
DECwest Engineering			(206)865-8705
Digital Equipment Corporation
14475 NE 24th St.
Bellevue, WA 98007

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (01/14/91)

Obviously anyone can sue anytime, let's get that out of the way...

But I'm curious about the (legal) wisdom of companies like DEC and
Apple removing certain hierarchies such as alt.sex.

It would seem to me that at that point they are admitting an editorial
function and would therefore leave themselves much more open to
(successful) litigation.

They have now created the evidence that they take responsibility for
the content of USENET. If I were considering filing a suit based on
some posting I would take glee at this admission. They've admitted
they're liable, now I would only have to argue that they were
negligent in performing that function.

Is it possible that the legal depts in these companies have allowed
their prudishness cloud their judgement?

Or, as is much more likely, has middle management just found a
bullshit excuse to enforce their own morality?

Compare this thread with the thread in alt.activism regarding
university campus censorship and the claim that these sort of
"legal fears" are often used just to manipulate policy.
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | {xylogics,uunet}!world!bzs | bzs@world.std.com

kadie@cs.uiuc.edu (Carl M. Kadie) (01/14/91)

In <BZS.91Jan13110941@world.std.com> bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:

>Obviously anyone can sue anytime, let's get that out of the way...

>But I'm curious about the (legal) wisdom of companies like DEC and
>Apple removing certain hierarchies such as alt.sex.
[...]

Here is what the ACLU's "Rights of Women" handbook says:

    [aside: the book was published in 1983 and so may be out-of-date]

'Several federal courts have ruled that [...] different treatment
based on sex is a form of employment discrimination forbidden by Title
VII.  "Sexy" pictures and lewd comments also may amount to sex
discrimination on the job if they create a work environment which is
hostile and offensive to the woman worker.

[...]  One of the best definitions of sexual harassment is one
proposed by the National Orgainzation for Women and the Working Women
United Institute:

  Sexual harassment is any repeated or unwanted verbal or
  physical sexual advances, sexually explicit derogatory
  statements, or sexually discriminatory remarks made my someone
  in the workplace which is offensive or objectionable to the
  recipient or which causes the recipient discomfort or humiliation
  or which interfers with the recipient's job performance.

[...] Unwanted touching, sexual comments and innuendo, and
offensive displays of "sexy" pictures or cartoons may also be
sexual harassment.

In 1980 the EEOC passed guidelines[41] which defined sexual harassment
by focusing more specifically on the required impact on a worker's
job. Under the guidelines, in order to establish a violation of Title
Vii, you mush show one of three things: [...] (3) that the harasssment
itself is intended to or does interfere with your work or creates "an
intimidating, hostile, or offensive working environment," whether or
not there is any other unfavorable job action.

-----
Note: The ACLU handbook is by Susan Deller Ross and Ann Barcher.

==============================

IMHO, merely subscribing and reading the alt.* newsgroups is not
sexual harassment. However, displaying "sexy" notes that a coworker
finds offensive is harassment (and quite rude). For example, taking a
note that someone finds offensive and making it the message of the
day, or posting it to the local general newsgroup, or e-mailing it to
the offendable person, or reading it loudly, or printing it out and
pinning it up, etc. are examples of harassment.  Note that such
actions are harassment regardless of were the material comes from.
--
Carl Kadie -- kadie@cs.uiuc.edu -- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (01/14/91)

>IMHO, merely subscribing and reading the alt.* newsgroups is not
>sexual harassment. However, displaying "sexy" notes that a coworker
>finds offensive is harassment (and quite rude). For example, taking a
>note that someone finds offensive and making it the message of the
>day, or posting it to the local general newsgroup, or e-mailing it to
>the offendable person, or reading it loudly, or printing it out and
>pinning it up, etc. are examples of harassment.  Note that such
>actions are harassment regardless of were the material comes from.
>--
>Carl Kadie -- kadie@cs.uiuc.edu -- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Yes, I'm comfortable enough with that since the implication is that an
employee took a specific action (msg of the day, re-posting) and it's
that specific action which is being questioned, not the mere existence
or availability of the materiels.

It's sort of like saying owning a baseball bat is fine, but hitting
other employees with them is unacceptable. The problems arise when
someone outlaws baseball bats on the possibility that someone might
hit someone else.

It is precisely that claim to read another's intent that gets our
rights into trouble.
--

cerebus@bucsf.bu.edu (Tim Miller) (01/15/91)

On 10 Jan 91, gwh@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert)

G> In article <> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:

 >Problem is that at many sites all it would take is a whiff of a lawsuit to
 >have the site removed from the net by admins who are unaware of usenet or
 >uncomfortable with it.   "Who needs trouble?"

G> Ok, Brad has neatly summarized the crux of the real problem here.  I have a
G> suggestion, a small proposal for 1) a Usenet local admin policy and
G> 2) a law to back it up.

	1) Enforced by what mechanism?
	2) The same.

G> [...]
G> 			 however, if the site admin is notified
G> that an article at that site is illegal/libelous/etc, it is that site's
G> responsibility to as soon as reasonable locally cancel it.

	Here the qustion of what libel is arises.  Last I heard, it
takes a judge and a jury to do that on a case-by-case basis.  There are
few standards and precedents to go by.  What seems libelous to one man
is criticism/commentary to another.  Case in point: Falwell vs. Larry
Flynt Publications, in which Falwell attempted to claim libel/emotional
trauma after a (IMHO damn funny) full-page critical 'ad' appeared in
_Hustler_.  He was defeated resoundingly.

G> 	Supporting this, we mount a drive to get the US Congress to approve a
G> law that supports this: basically, absolving any computer owner from legal
G> responsibility for an article that they did not origionate that they did not
G> know to be illegal in some way.

	Such a bill will be promptly defeated by the lawyers in Congress
and the lobbyists for every legal orginization from here to Calcutta.

	You forget how these folks make their money: as a percentage of
the cash awards they win for their clients.  The more the
settlement/award, the richer they get.  Joe Newsposter is piss-poor.
His organization or school or the site that is fingered as a prime
distributer of the offending article is not.  You don't sue poor people.
You sue rich insurance companies and businesses.

	The rich companies then shaft their customers for the costs.
Just ask any insurance company that sell malpractice or auto insurance.

G> 	Suggestions?  Flamage?  I'm willing to send _my_ congresspeople a horde
G> of letters... are you, for the long-term good of Usenet and other computer
G> systems.

	The long-term good of Usenet is to keep as low a profile as
possible.

-- Cerebus <cerebus@bucsf.bu.edu>
"The methods which you propose would result in a recognizable USENET
 organization; this would only make a beter target to sue."

bagchi@eecs.umich.edu (Ranjan Bagchi) (01/16/91)

In article <11705@goofy.Apple.COM> wrs@apple.com (Walter Smith) writes:
>In article <10129@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> jbuck@galileo.berkeley.edu (Joe
>Buck) writes:
>> ...getting the attention of Congress to the
>> legal status of Usenet is likely to backfire...
>>
>> There was only one semi-serious threat of a suit that I recall --
>> the idea was that harrassment of women on the net was so severe that
>> companies that carry the net in the US could be sued under the
>> equal employment opportunity/affirmative action rules, for providing
>> conditions that discriminate against women.
>
>Interesting anecdote:  The entire alt.sex hierarchy was removed from
>internal machines here at Apple because of fear of lawsuits under
>California's sexual harassment law.  Several of the messages in the
>ensuing uproar said that attempts to change this policy by calling Usenet
>to the attention of the Apple legal department were likely to backfire.
>(See, even *we're* scared of our legal department! :-)  Getting the
>"Establishment" to understand the potential of computer networks will have
>to be a gentle, gradual process to avoid reflexive panic reactions.
>
>- Walt

	Perhaps off the subject, but the removal of alt.sex* is likely
to be extremely counter-productive, if the goal of such removal is to
keep potentially "harassing" material off the net.

	Why were groupd like alt.sex created in teh first place?  To
give the perverts (myself included) a place to hang out?  Only
indirectly.  According to the story I've heard, groups like alt.sex,
and alt.drugs, and rec.pyrotechnics are there so people interested in
some of the more perverse aspects of sci.bio or sci.chem, etc. will
have a place to talk about it, and leave those who deal with biology
or chemistry for a living with a newsgroup with a relatively high
signal to noise ratio.

	All the removal of such groups is going to do is undo the
benefits of their creation.  And your "sensitive" types who read
rec.pets are going to have to worry about those who miss
alt.sex.bestiality.

>--
>Walter Smith                            wrs@apple.com, apple!wrs
>Apple Computer, Inc.                    (408) 974-5892
>My corporation disavows any knowledge of my activities on the network.

	-rj
Ranjan Bagchi - At Large.  Well Kinda.  |  what kind of person
bagchi@[eecs                            |  would want to count syllables
        caen,                           |  just to write haiku?
	math.lsa].umich.edu     	|