[comp.org.eff.talk] The city of mind, cyberpunks, and privacy

randolph@cognito.Eng.Sun.COM (Randolph Fritz) (01/04/91)

[This is a slightly-edited version of an essay I posted in one of the
political groups.  It seems to have some relevance to the discussions
going on here, so I'm reposting it here.]

Barlow uses the metaphor of the American frontier to describe the
current state of cyberspace.  But the frontier brings a whole set of
associations which don't really apply: isolation, privacy, wide open
spaces.  Cyberspace is intensely social (how many of you are reading
this?), intensely monitored, and everything is very close -- this
message will circle the world before I arrive at work tomorrow
morning.

I suggest one does better to think of cyberspace as a dense,
fast-growing, world-wide city.  If you drop a $100 bill on city
streets -- you don't expect to get it back if you go look for it in an
hour.  And no neighborhood shopkeeper is going to leave his shop
unlocked and untended, no, not even for a few minutes.  I contend
that, in fact, the very sloppy password security system used by TRW
for credit records is very nearly equivalent to that.  Returning to
that shopkeeper, he's going to have a devil of a time collecting on
his insurance if his insurance company finds out that he wasn't
minding the store.

This perhaps suggests a different approach to security.  One doesn't
call out the SWAT team for everyday problems, after all.  One relies
on watchful neighbors, guards, and the cop on the beat.  Surveillance
is the word.  And one locks doors.

The cyberspace equivalent of locks are, of course, access controls and
encryption.  There is currently a considerable debate over just how
widespread such technologies should be, with the intelligence
community favoring restrictions and the computing community favoring
wide dissemination.  In the view I'm proposing, widespread
dissemination is necessary for the full use of information
technologies.  After all, any city dweller needs locks and keys.  And
banks need vaults.

So far as public information is concerned, I propose that major data
banks have somewhat the same responsibility with personal information
that more conventional banks have with money and, just as monetary
banks have legal responsibilities towards their depositors, data banks
should have comparable responsibilities towards the people whose
personal information they hold.  You hold the banker responsible if
the banker neglects to lock their vault; negligence creates liability
(though of course the actual robbers are also criminals).  In this
view, there should be some similar liability for data banks, though
it's going to be a long time before those banks accept that!  (I
wonder if anyone's pulled the credit records of the president of TRW
Credit :-)

So that's another way to think about security in cyberspace.  I hope
it is of some value.  Especially, I hope it is useful in calming the
fears of our law-enforcement organizations.

   nd t
 ou    ui
R Press  T  __Randolph Fritz  sun!cognito.eng!randolph || randolph@eng.sun.com
 ou    ui     Mountain View, California, North America, Earth
   nd t

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (01/05/91)

Barlow lives in Wyoming.  It affects the way one sees things.  Mountain
View is another consciousness.  I appreciate the well-thought out critique.
However, the "frontier" is yet another consciousness...the American
metaphor for new places.  A melding of concepts would be appropriate.
EFF does a pretty good job, since Mitch Kapor is definitely a city type.

Bob Jacobson

In article <13765@milton.u.washington.edu> cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:

>Barlow lives in Wyoming.  It affects the way one sees things.  Mountain
>View is another consciousness.  I appreciate the well-thought out critique.
>However, the "frontier" is yet another consciousness...the American
>metaphor for new places.  A melding of concepts would be appropriate.
>EFF does a pretty good job, since Mitch Kapor is definitely a city type.

Metaphors can be dangerous (check out the recent article floating around
concerning metaphors of war and our relationship with Iraq).  What
the City metaphor misses completely, and the Frontier metaphor only gets
to a limited extent is the sense of _community_ on the net.  It's the
kind of thing where a complete stranger comes up and asks you a favor
(last night it was a phone call asking for a Usenet feed) and you don't
think twice about helping out.  That actually probably fits well into
the real Frontier, but most people's concept of it has been tainted by
too many westerns.

Personally, I always think of it as the Electronic Freedom Foundation.

--
Alfalfa Software, Inc.		|	motif-request@alfalfa.com
nazgul@alfalfa.com		|-----------------------------------

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.

randolph@cognito.Eng.Sun.COM (Randolph Fritz) (01/09/91)

Kee Hinckley writes:

  What the City metaphor misses completely, and the Frontier metaphor
  only gets to a limited extent is the sense of _community_ on the
  net.  It's the kind of thing where a complete stranger comes up and
  asks you a favor (last night it was a phone call asking for a Usenet
  feed) and you don't think twice about helping out.

Hmmmm.  Depends on the neighborhood, I think.  There are (or used to
be) city neighborhoods where helping strangers was the norm.  And they
used to be called communities.  Our newer car-oriented cities don't
develop this kind of community, since they are designed to discourage
casual social contact.  And, of course, very wealthy and very
dangerous neighborhoods have different sorts of community.

Continuing the metaphor we might consider the tax-supported and
privately-owned networks to be the analogs of wealthy neighborhoods --
they do not offer courtesy services.  And true renegade networks (if
any exist) would be too concerned with self-defense to offer courtesy.

By the way, "civil" is derived from Latin roots meaning city.  So
"civilizing" bears something in common with city building.

[My usual sig isn't available . . .]

__Randolph Fritz  sun!eng!randolph || randolph@eng.sun.com

randolph@cognito.Eng.Sun.COM (Randolph Fritz) (01/23/91)

Jon Lebkowsky, writes:

  Possible that 'city' and 'frontier' analogies are both
  inappropriate. The virtual community is unlike the city or the
  frontier in an important sense, the sense that it is in fact
  'virtual,' with its own sense of space and time. When I am online I
  don't feel that I am in a 'place'; rather, I feel that I am inside
  an *intelligence.*

Hmmm, interesting.  That is much the sense I get when I walk the
streets of a busy city.  Only some people respond to cities in that
way; Jane Jacobs, say, did, but I don't think Frank Lloyd Wright did,
or rather he felt that cities as we built them were terribly sick
intelligences.

I was more using the metaphor of city to get at some of the ways in
which social behavior is controlled in information-intensive social
environments.  For me, that's the important difference and what makes
cyberspace more city-like than frontier-like.  Clearly the metaphor
only works for some people and most people raised in car-oriented
cities miss the point entirely, since car-oriented cities are designed
to discourage casual social contact; crowds in such places are crowds
of cars.

Well, it's been an interesting discussion anyhow.