[comp.org.eff.talk] Random paranoia...

wayner@kama.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) (01/23/91)

In another newsgroup, one fellow posted a long message describing
the virtues of routinely shopping around for long distance carriers
based on quality. This can be done by typing 10288+number to route
your call over the ATT network. There are similar prefixes for every
other LD company. At the end he writes:

>Use them!!  They're our best means of demonstrating competition!  I've had
>AT&T call me at one company I worked for because they noticed I was using
>10288 and they wanted to know if I wanted to switch services.  The company
>we were using (I don't remember, but they were a small one) had horrible
>service to New Jersey and my calls kept getting dropped or were full of noise.
>But they were inexpensive! :-}

>Anyway, the companies _DO_ notice when we use that.
Peter Wayner   Department of Computer Science Cornell Univ. Ithaca, NY 14850
EMail:wayner@cs.cornell.edu    Office: 607-255-9202 or 255-1008
Home: 116 Oak Ave, Ithaca, NY 14850  Phone: 607-277-6678