[comp.org.eff.talk] Invasion of Privacy in Australia

peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) (01/25/91)

In article <6532@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM>, ginn@neon-tetra.Eng.Sun.COM (Michael Ginn) writes:
> One of the most far-reaching of recent laws is the one that confiscates assets
> `SUSPECTED' of being the proceeds of crime or even associated with crime. It
> can deny the accused access to his money for legal representation, and in some
> cases reverse the onus of proof.

Sounds like RICO... the U.S. government isn't that far "behind" Australia here.

The rest of the stuff sounds bloody awful. I've been holding onto my Oz
citizenship partly as a hedge against erosion of liberties. Sounds like
I've been living in a fool's paradise.
--
               (peter@taronga.uucp.ferranti.com)
   `-_-'

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (01/29/91)

In article <AUSKQK@taronga.hackercorp.com> peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <6532@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM>, ginn@neon-tetra.Eng.Sun.COM (Michael Ginn) writes:
>> One of the most far-reaching of recent laws is the one that confiscates assets
>> `SUSPECTED' of being the proceeds of crime or even associated with crime. It
>> can deny the accused access to his money for legal representation, and in some
>> cases reverse the onus of proof.
>
>Sounds like RICO... the U.S. government isn't that far "behind" Australia here.
>
>The rest of the stuff sounds bloody awful. I've been holding onto my Oz
>citizenship partly as a hedge against erosion of liberties. Sounds like
>I've been living in a fool's paradise.
	What exactly IS RICO.  When I first encountered the rights-activism
scene, I had no idea what it was. . now I have some idea.  BUT, is it onelaw,
a set of laws, does someone have the complete text on-line? (as paper?, if you
USMail me, I may type it up.)

--
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (02/01/91)

Bad news comes in waves:

CANBERRA, AUSTRALIA, 1991 JAN 30 (NB) -- The data age has
advanced one more step in Australia with the implementation of
legislation for the tracking of all bank account holders'
transactions. The Cash Transaction Reports (CTR) Act requires
banks and customers to follow a number of rigid new procedures
involving identification and reporting.

[ The rest of the article goes on to detailing procedures required
to identify yourself before opening a bank account, credit card
account, fixed deposit account, or safety deposit box.

The stated aim is to reduce money laundering and other activities
associated with drug trafficking and tax evasion.  It's also a handy
surveillance tool on anyone the government becomes interested in. ]

/pbp
--
         Paul Pomes

UUCP: {att,iuvax,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul   Internet, BITNET: paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2910