[comp.org.eff.talk] Computer Hacking Research Rpt

baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) (01/30/91)

[]

Apropos of very little... has anyone seen IBM research Report #RC 16111,
titled "Computer Hacking - An Overview of an Underculture". I'd like
to get a review of it.

--
		  baum@apple.com		(408)974-3385
{decwrl,hplabs}!amdahl!apple!baum

theo@cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) (01/30/91)

baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) writes:

> []
>
> Apropos of very little... has anyone seen IBM research Report #RC 16111,
> titled "Computer Hacking - An Overview of an Underculture". I'd like
> to get a review of it.
>
> --
> 		  baum@apple.com		(408)974-3385
> {decwrl,hplabs}!amdahl!apple!baum

I would like to get a COPY of it. Where is it available?

theo@cs.fau.edu
Theodora Heavey
Florida Atlantic University
Dept of COmputer Science

louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us (Louis Giliberto) (02/01/91)

In article <2HJkw3w163w@cs.fau.edu> theo@cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) writes:
>baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) writes:
>
>> []
>>
>> Apropos of very little... has anyone seen IBM research Report #RC 16111,
>> titled "Computer Hacking - An Overview of an Underculture". I'd like
>> to get a review of it.
>>
>> --
>> 		  baum@apple.com		(408)974-3385
>> {decwrl,hplabs}!amdahl!apple!baum
>
>I would like to get a COPY of it. Where is it available?
>
>theo@cs.fau.edu
>Theodora Heavey
>Florida Atlantic University
>Dept of COmputer Science

I would like a copy, too.  It would be interesting what Big Blue, a strictly
ordered, conservative company has to say about an anarchic pseudosociety
which they indirectly helped to create.

Can it be ordered from IBM, or is it an internal report?

Louis Giliberto
louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us

baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) (02/02/91)

[]
>In article <1991Feb01.033242.6364@vpnet.chi.il.us> louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us (Louis Giliberto) writes: (about the IBM hacking report)
>>
>I would like a copy, too.  It would be interesting what Big Blue, a strictly
>ordered, conservative company has to say about an anarchic pseudosociety
>which they indirectly helped to create.
>
>Can it be ordered from IBM, or is it an internal report?
>
>Louis Giliberto
>louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us

I'm trying to order the report- I'll post if I get it. I could conceivably
scan it in, and post, but... the legalities? Any comments?

--

jsharaf@world.std.com (Jim Sharaf) (02/05/91)

In article <48776@apple.Apple.COM> baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) writes:

==>I'm trying to order the report- I'll post if I get it. I could conceivably
==>scan it in, and post, but... the legalities? Any comments?

	It's probably protected by copyright, and you'd need
permission from the copyright proprietor to post the whole thing.
Brief quotations within the scope of the fair use doctrine are another
story.

nrt@nrtpc.uucp (Nicholas R. Trio) (02/06/91)

I'm the person who wrote IBM's Research Report RCC 16111 "Computer
Hacking - An Overview of an Underculture".  I believe if you want
a copy and you're from outside IBM you could try sending a note to:

	Technical Publications
	IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
	P.O. Box 218
	Yorktown Heights, NY 10598

If there's a problem getting a copy of the report (I don't think there
should be....it's unclassified and I presented it publically at the
Mid Atlantic conference of the American Society of Public Administrators
in Pittsburgh September 1990), then let me know via e-mail.

The research report is not, in any way, an official statement by IBM
on computer crime or the activities of the cracker "computer underground"
but rather work by me giving an overview on hacking and discussion of
incident prevention/incident response.  The paper is geared toward
public policy types who need to be concerned with the impact of these
vulnerabilities in their respective realms.  I'm the sole person
responsible for what was written (other than information that is
attributed to others).

The reason it came out as a research report is simply that whenever
someone at the research center publishes a paper for a conference, journal
etc., it is simultaneously released as a research report.  I'm kind of
suprised at the response this research report has gotten (I didn't know
anyone outside of IBM or who attended the conference where I presented
the paper even knew I had written it).

Also, I actually started doing research in this area about six years
ago when I was in graduate school (I hold an MA in Sociology in
addition to my MS in Information Science)...someone remembered the
paper I wrote on hacking way back then (when just about everyone still
called it "hacking") and persuaded me to get back into the field.
At the time, I spent time interviewing hackers who hadn't been caught
by (people) networking around.  Unfortunately, I don't have as much
contact today with folks really active in breaking into systems, though
I try to keep up with the various electronic newsletters on the subject.

I'm pretty easy to find on the net if you read the report and have
any questions...

Take care,
Nick
--
Nicholas R. Trio, WB3COR         UUCP: nrt@nrtpc.uucp Internet: nrt@ibm.com
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center  Work: (914) 784-7222 Home: (914) 228-1651

mbrown@testsys.austin.ibm.com (Mark Brown) (02/07/91)

About that report...I've ordered a copy on our internal system, I should get
it fairly soon. I've checked with the IBM database people and it's not
classified in any way, so I'll post a review when I get it. BTW: It'll come
to me in hardcopy, so don't bother asking me for copies....

Abstract: It's dated September 1990, and it concerns itself with the
problem of unauthorized intrusion in general, but in specific with
unauthorized intrusion by those "without any incentive for financial gain
or damage, but there to explore or learn". Its slant is on how to identify
and deal with these kinds of intrusions.

I haven't read the document, only the abstract; it seems like enough
thought was put into the subject to recognize there *are* different kinds
of hackers (flames for current useage *not* accepted!) and they aren't
all "evil".

Obligatory Disclaimer: While I *am* discussing an IBM report, and I *am*
an IBM employee, I *do not* speak for or represent IBM in any official
capacity. My opinions are my own, and should not be construed as
IBM policy in any way.
Mark Brown    IBM PSP Austin, TX.     (512) 823-3741   VNET: MBROWN@AUSVMQ
MAIL: mbrown@testsys.austin.ibm.com OR uunet!testsys.austin.ibm.com!mbrown
"... the Pick System and what it will bring when you do the DBMS Wild Thing".
      DISCLAIMER: Any personal opinions stated here are just that.

theo.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) (02/10/91)

mbrown@testsys.austin.ibm.com (Mark Brown) writes:

> About that report...I've ordered a copy on our internal system, I should get
How do lowly non-IBM types such as myself get ahold of this report? I am
highly interested in this report for personal and professional research
purposes. Since the IBMers you spoke to say it is NOT classified could
they tell us how to get a copy?