[comp.org.eff.talk] Lotus Marketplace -- Lotus to pull out?

jsharaf@world.std.com (Jim Sharaf) (01/24/91)

A story in this morning's Boston Globe reports that Lotus is expected, at a
news conference today, to announce that it will *not* go ahead with the
marketplace product.  Apparently there have been so many complaints, and so
many people asking to have their names & info deleted, that Lotus decided to
call it quits.  Also, sales of the comparable product with business (rather
than consumer) info are reported to have been poor.
So, complaints and general noise-making sometimes do pay off.

           James A. Sharaf             |           (617) 964-5866
           46 Newbury Street           |    Internet: jsharaf@world.std.com

U21187@uicvm.uic.edu (John Schulien) (01/25/91)

In article <JSHARAF.91Jan23130147@world.std.com>, jsharaf@world.std.com (Jim
Sharaf) says:

>A story in this morning's Boston Globe reports that Lotus is expected, at a
>news conference today, to announce that it will *not* go ahead with the
>marketplace product.  Apparently there have been so many complaints, and so

I just called their 800 number (1-800-688-8320) and heard the following
recorded message:

|  Lotus has announced it will not be shipping the Lotus Marketplace
|  Households product and therefore is no longer processing requests
|  for name removal.
|
|  The decision to cancel the product came after an assessment of the
|  public concerns and misunderstanding of the product.
|
|  we hope this has not caused you any inconvenience, and thank you for
|  calling Lotus.

Alright!

- jms

cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) (02/11/91)

jsharaf@world.std.com (Jim Sharaf) writes:

> A story in this morning's Boston Globe reports that Lotus is expected, at a
> news conference today, to announce that it will *not* go ahead with the
> marketplace product.  Apparently there have been so many complaints, and so
> many people asking to have their names & info deleted, that Lotus decided to
> call it quits.  Also, sales of the comparable product with business (rather
> than consumer) info are reported to have been poor.
> So, complaints and general noise-making sometimes do pay off.

I thought that the official release was made two weeks ago...

| C. Matthew Curtin             ! "This is a strange game.  The only way to   |
| P.O. Box 27081                ! win is not to play."  -Joshua               |
| cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp _______!______________Apple_II_Forever!______________|