[comp.org.eff.talk] Pat has a cow

jgd@Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) (02/12/91)

ptownson@cs.bu.edu (Patrick Townson) writes:

Tsk, Tsk, Pat, lighten up dude.  Take a breather.  Get control of yourself.
Listen to what people have to say here.  I hope this is not a bit
of meglomania creeping in:

>.... But I built the Digest up to the
         ^^^
>level of readership it has today, and I did the same for
>comp.dcom.telecom.

Hmm, wonder if the readership level would have anything at all to do with the
people who actually WRITE the articles?

Pat, you have the unique ability to piss a lot of us off even when
we AGREE with your position on an issue.  A lot of folks, me included,
think that you take advantage of your position as moderator with your
wisecrack additions and pontifications to articles. Why can't you just
post replies like the rest of us do?

And then there's your habit of stirring flamefests between participants.
I feel pretty confident that you instigated the fight between Lippman
and myself.  I KNOW, as does the rest of the readership, that you
promoted it once it got started.  No, we don't forget the teasers you put
out well in advance of your packaging up our fight in a "special" issue.
And I'm only one.

Perhaps you should read sci.military sometime and try to learn a bit from
Bill Thacker, someone who I consider to be a model moderator.  Bill goes
out of his way to keep fights down even though military subjects have
as much religion associated with them as do telcom.  He took an issue
that arose between me and another person and instead of escalating it
in a "special digest" like you do, he put us together in Email
and suggested we discuss our differences there.  Turns out that we
found common ground to agree on.  If we'd squared off in telecom, I have
no doubt the result would have been much different.

Perhaps what the people in this group are saying is that they'd like
for you to be less of a hate monger and more of a calming influence.
After all, that is why people vote for moderated groups.

Finally,

>I don't intend to be silent merely to placate those of you who do not
>like what I have to say. I will continue to say what I want, when I
>want, and try to always accomodate 'the opposing viewpoint'. If you
and encourage others --

And if you can't quite manage to accomodate "the opposing viewpoint',
you get upset that people use the means available to them, such
as header forgery, to be heard?  Amazing.

>presumably people from a socially responsible organization like EFF to
>violate news etiquette by posting direct to the news group bypassing
>the moderator?  Is that any more incredible than the fact that not one
>person from the socially responsible among you criticized such a
>technique?

The reason such techniques are not being criticized here is that it
strikes to the heart of electronic freedoms.  This "electronic frontier"
allows "the masses" to exert some control and feedback on the "masters".
Abernathy learned that the hard way and as a  result, he backed back into
his safe little print cocoon.  You and the other moderators serve at the
pleasure of me and the others who pay the freight on the net.  When you
get a bit out of line, we'll tweak you to  remind you that you do NOT
hold any special authority.  If you get really out of line, we'll vote
you out completely, we'll direct telecom to the bitbucket or whatever
other things are appropriate.  This is a true cooperative; you have to
cooperate with us as well as vice versa.

Didja ever wonder why telecom seems to get more forged messages than
other moderated groups?  Perhaps it should tell you something Pat.  I
personally welcome seeing your opinions framed in the proper context.  I
think you're dead wrong on things like caller-ID but then opinions are
like assholes,  we all got 'em.  But when you abuse your position by
inserting your snide comments into a majority of opposing articles or
when you fan the flames, don't be surprised when people call you shithead
or bypass you with articles.   You should realize the same thing that
managers and politicians learn - the more power and authority you
accumulate, the more carefully you have to apply it and usually, the
less you get to say.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of speed to the Trade"  (tm)
Rapid Deployment System, Inc. |  Home of the Nidgets (tm)