[comp.org.eff.talk] The Moderator Who Doesn't Give A Sh*t

dogar@motcid.UUCP (Haroon H. Dogar) (02/13/91)

>In article <74436@bu.edu.bu.edu>

Um... are y'all sure the "Townson" (T. Moderator) posting wasn't a forgery?
Isn't Pat from Chicago (doesn't his mail originate at Northwestern University
in Evanston?)?

Just wondering.

-hd

Will the real T.Moderator please stand up?

laird@chinet.chi.il.us (Laird J. Heal) (02/13/91)

In article <4672@prussian9.UUCP> dogar@motcid.UUCP (Haroon H. Dogar) writes:
>>In article <74436@bu.edu.bu.edu>
>
>Um... are y'all sure the "Townson" (T. Moderator) posting wasn't a forgery?
>Isn't Pat from Chicago (doesn't his mail originate at Northwestern University
>in Evanston?)?

yes, the Message-ID of 74436@bu.edu.bu.edu gives it away and if I had any
connection with EFF and this newsgroup I would have canceled it immediately.

Not that one would have any luck, but the actual author should be found
and chastised by his news site system administrator, as that is not acceptable
nettiquite.
--
Laird J. Heal                           The Usenet is dead!
Here:  laird@chinet.chi.il.us		Long Live the Usenet!

mbrown@testsys.austin.ibm.com (Mark Brown) (02/14/91)

laird@chinet.chi.il.us (Laird J. Heal) writes:
|In article <4672@prussian9.UUCP> dogar@motcid.UUCP (Haroon H. Dogar) writes:
|>>In article <74436@bu.edu.bu.edu>
|>
|>Um... are y'all sure the "Townson" (T. Moderator) posting wasn't a forgery?
|>Isn't Pat from Chicago (doesn't his mail originate at Northwestern University
|>in Evanston?)?
|
|yes, the Message-ID of 74436@bu.edu.bu.edu gives it away and if I had any
|connection with EFF and this newsgroup I would have canceled it immediately.

And Laird might have been mistaken to do so. I sent mail to
uunet!bu.edu!cs!ptownson@cs.utexas.edu (yeah, so I mixed bangs and ats, so
what?) and it got to Pat, who sent me a (courteous) reply from his
Northwestern address.

It would take a *very* good spoofer to beat that, methinks.

Mark Brown    IBM PSP Austin, TX.     (512) 823-3741   VNET: MBROWN@AUSVMQ
MAIL: mbrown@testsys.austin.ibm.com OR uunet!testsys.austin.ibm.com!mbrown
  The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from!
      DISCLAIMER: Any personal opinions stated here are just that.

patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) (02/14/91)

writes:

>Um... are y'all sure the "Townson" (T. Moderator) posting wasn't a forgery?
>Isn't Pat from Chicago (doesn't his mail originate at Northwestern University
>in Evanston?)?

>Will the real T.Moderator please stand up?

I am the Moderator!  And I will post from where I please. I have accounts
on sites all over the USA and in a couple foreign countries. So you may
see me one day at chinet.chi.il.us, another day at eecs.nwu.edu, perhaps
at berkeley sometimes, or MIT or Boston University.

Maybe tomorrow I will post from gagme.chi.il.us or mcimail.com.

--
Patrick Townson
  patrick@chinet.chi.il.us / ptownson@eecs.nwu.edu / US Mail: 60690-1570

In article <1991Feb13.124536.1625@chinet.chi.il.us> laird@chinet.chi.il.us (Laird J. Heal) writes:

>yes, the Message-ID of 74436@bu.edu.bu.edu gives it away and if I had any
>connection with EFF and this newsgroup I would have canceled it immediately.

>Not that one would have any luck, but the actual author should be found
>and chastised by his news site system administrator, as that is not acceptable
>nettiquite.

I have accounts on any number of sites in the USA. The
reasons for this are many, but suffice it to say I can LEGALLY post
messages from several locations. I've had an account at Boston University
for a few years now.

As a matter of fact, I think the reason I was reading news at bu.edu was
becasue the Usenet gateway at accuvax.nwu.edu was out of order and I was
over there pushing comp.dcom.telecom stuff out to the net manually ...

Like the fool I am beginning to discover I am, if the gateway I normally
use for telecom postings is down rather than just saying screw it and
letting it sit in there until the gate comes up again I actually go to the
trouble of doing a remote copy of the queue to one of my accounts in
Boston where I then rlogin and Pnews it all out by hand ... I like turning
the news around fast ... or at least I did, but really, this whole thing
is beginning to be less and less FUN for me ... which was the only real
reason I got so involved.  That, and to give a helping hand to the former
moderator when he was unable to carry on with only a short notice.