[comp.org.eff.talk] What is a moderator?

sjackson@pro-smof.cts.com (Steve Jackson) (02/18/91)

        Since I'm not a telecom reader (and may never be now - sigh) I
have no opinion on the matter, other than what I've seen posted here.
        If Pat Townsend has been accurately represented, I probably
disagree with a lot of his opinions. Nevertheless, he's entitled to them.
And I feel that a moderator can legitimately make editorial comments!
        The objections that I saw here seemed very much like personal
flamage: "I don't like his opinions, and he's a prominent person, so
his evil opinions are a threat to me personally, so he must be a wicked
jerk." Pretty lame chain of logic!
        Forging headers, etc., and blaming it on the wicked fascist
baby-eating moderator, is hypocritical in the extreme. That's not
net.freedom; that's vandalism.
        The net may now have lost a service which was valuable to many.
It does sound to me as though Pat overreacted - but it's tragic to work
hard on a project and have it vandalized, and be subject to personal
attacks, because someone disagreed with your personal opinions. Speech
is free, but only for the politically correct, eh?
        The Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR) is
hosting a roundtable meeting in Washington next week. One of the chief
meta-subjects will be "How should the providers of net services interact
with their users?" This will be an interesting case study. I will be
there, and I'll be sure to bring it up, unless someone better-informed
beats me to it!
        Apologies for the long post. But look! No trash.sig!

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (02/19/91)

You missed the point of the criticisms. Vandalizing aside, what most
critics had to say about comp.dcom.telecom was that operating a newsgroup
is a rare privilege, especially one as important and central to our
concerns as telecommunications; and that the moderator was trivializing
this privilege with his often off-the-mark commentary. The subsequent
flame-on by the moderator and the responses posted here and elsewhere
had little to do with the substance of the issue.

Bob Jacobson

learn@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (William Vajk ) (02/19/91)

In article <7618@crash.cts.com> Steve Jackson writes:

>        The net may now have lost a service which was valuable to many.

Actually, the service is pretty much available for the asking, simply
via mail instead of a "newsgroup."

>Speech is free, but only for the politically correct, eh?

Actually, speech is free, but so is some semblence of responsibility
for the things one says and supports. Patrick's rights haven't been
called into question here. But anyone can be called to account for the
things they say, and regularly are. Good, bad, or indifferent, this is
the nature of the beast we call usenet.

I am unconcerned about Patrick's response to the confrontation. He has a
right to do exactly as he pleases. My personal opinion has not been altered
one bit concerning anyone involved in the microflamefest. In short, a few
pushed Patrick's buttons, and on cue, he exploded.

Of course, there were other explosions before Patrick became moderator of the
Usenet group(s). One had to do with a system attempting to expand BBSing in
the public library sphere, and another with FIDO management in some form or
another. Those of us to whom the regional bbs scene has been near and dear
as a source of information and data for some time have had the pleasure
of witnessing Patrick's wrath before.

In short, new business for some of you is simply a continuation of old
business for others of us.

This is not to say that when given his head, he doesn't do an excellent job.
But still, there is always room for criticism just as there is always room
for improvement.....for all of us.

Bill Vajk

ccplumb@rose.uwaterloo.ca (Colin Plumb) (02/20/91)

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) wrote:

>You missed the point of the criticisms. Vandalizing aside, what most
>critics had to say about comp.dcom.telecom was that operating a newsgroup
>is a rare privilege,

Privilege is, I submit, not an apropriate word.  Moderating a busy newsgroup
is a lot of work, the pay is lousy, and so are the holidays.  *I* certainly
wouldn't want the job.

Anyone who can keep news flowing though a moderated newsgroup for a few
months has my greatest respect.  To those who aspire to the power, I
say, please try.  I don't believe there's any surplus of competent
moderators on the net.

If you want your own newsgroup to play with, just find enough material
to get a few discussions rolling, create alt.foo.bar with yourself as
moderator, and post an announcement to related groups elsewhere.
Then cope with about three dozen mail messages asking if you can
set up a parallel mailing list, as their sites don't get alt.*.

Congratulations; you now have the opportunity to earn the respect of the
net.
--
	-Colin