Subject: Atlanta / Georgia Caller*ID Update
Date: 28 Jan 91 18:34:25 GMT
Sender: news@accuvax.nwu.edu

I just spoke with Southern Bell's marketing department today to get
the latest info on Caller*ID.  You may remember that according to my
"inside source" at Southern Bell, CLID was supposed to have been
available FOR ORDERING today (Jan. 28).  That is not currently the
case.  A "no-later-than" implemementation date for the metropolitan
Atlanta area was set for February 14, according to Southern Bell PR
folks (as of my conversation with them in late Dec. '90).

As of sometime in the past week or so, Southern Bell is referring all
--MORE--(32%)

CLID questions to their Marketing department - the folks who will
actually market (naturally) and take orders for this new service.  My
call today to marketing - (404) 780-2525 - revealed that Southern Bell
will be holding training for their people beginning Feb. 14 and that
is quite likely the earliest date at which orders will now be taken.
Technically speaking, as of my last conversation with my "inside
source", the switching equipment and SS7 is all ready for CLID and the
appropriate software has been loaded to the various metro Atlanta
switches.  What currently stands between this stage and the next in
which the service is actually offered to the public is a (1)
testing/debugging phase (currently in progress) and (2) training of
the order-takers (see above), currently scheduled for Feb. 14.

Bottom line and my personal assessment: CLID will not be on-line until
Feb. 14 at the earliest.  With all due credit to Southern Bell, they
never went public with any date prior to Feb. 14.  It now appears that
their "no-later-than" date has since become a "no-sooner-than" date.
The feelings that I get from my various conversations with Southern
Bell employees (including my "Deep Throat"), is that they have
received quite a few inquiries about CLID - and that the greater
number of their calls have been to ask about when-can-I-order-it?  One
order clerk (with whom I spoke at relatively great length) did admit
that she had received a call from a somewhat upset "older gentleman"
--MORE--(76%)

along the lines of 'if Southern Bell follows through on offering CLID,
I'm going to have my phone disconnected!'

I'll keep the list posted, as I find out more.

Bill Berbenich    Georgia Tech, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
uucp: ...!{backbones}!gatech!eedsp!bill   Internet: bill@eedsp.gatech.edu

[Moderator's Note: The service rep talking to the 'older gentleman'
should have called his bluff on the spot:  If I'd been responding to
him I'd have probably said "Oh, my! Well, Mr. Jones, we'll certainly
be sorry to lose you as a good subscriber after X years. It has been
approved and will be available around February 14. Do you want me to
process the disconnect order on your service for the same day or would
you want me to have the service turned off sooner?"  (pause, let him
take it from there ...)   PAT]

Is this person biased, or what?  Would you want the moderators of all
of the conferences that handle controversial topics popping off like
this, making those who hold opposing points of view feel foolish?
As a moderator, I'm offended.  As someone with a regard for privacy
interests, I'm alarmed, because this newsgroup, comp.dcom.telecom,
wields a lot of informational power.  But what to do about this?

Bob Jacobson

jgd@Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) (01/29/91)

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:

>you want me to have the service turned off sooner?"  (pause, let him
>take it from there ...)   PAT]

>Is this person biased, or what?  Would you want the moderators of all
>of the conferences that handle controversial topics popping off like
>this, making those who hold opposing points of view feel foolish?
>As a moderator, I'm offended.  As someone with a regard for privacy
>interests, I'm alarmed, because this newsgroup, comp.dcom.telecom,
>wields a lot of informational power.  But what to do about this?

Hey, so Townsend's a dickhead.  WE've known that for a long time.  What to
do?  Simple. Post your telecom information to alt.dcom.telecom so that
in a few months, we can have a vote to make it a mainline group.  The
"free market" will then determine what readers like.  Also, be sure to
unsubscribe to comp.dcom.telecom (or store your .newsrc under a different
name when not reading news) so that Arbitron won't report you as a
telecom reader.  And if he posts something really bogus and won't post
your followup, simply forge an Approved: line on your article and let
it fly.  Net.anarchy is very effective at dethroning people if they get
too big for their britches.  (save the flames, guys.  I eat 'em for
breakfast.)

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of speed to the Trade"  (tm)
Rapid Deployment System, Inc. |  Home of the Nidgets (tm)

dcm@baldur.dell.com (Dave McCracken) (01/29/91)

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:

>Following is a posting from comp.dcom.telecom, the popular newsgroup on
>telecommunications.  The first part is a status report from Atlanta,
>where Southern Bell is forcing customers to accept Caller ID without the
>minimal safeguards of public choice, like per-call blocking.  But it's
>the moderator's addendum that I want you to especially notice:

>>Subject: Atlanta / Georgia Caller*ID Update
>>Date: 28 Jan 91 18:34:25 GMT
>>Sender: news@accuvax.nwu.edu

>>(...)

>>[Moderator's Note: The service rep talking to the 'older gentleman'
>>should have called his bluff on the spot:  If I'd been responding to
>>him I'd have probably said "Oh, my! Well, Mr. Jones, we'll certainly
>>be sorry to lose you as a good subscriber after X years. It has been
>>approved and will be available around February 14. Do you want me to
>>process the disconnect order on your service for the same day or would
>>you want me to have the service turned off sooner?"  (pause, let him
>>take it from there ...)   PAT]

>Is this person biased, or what?  Would you want the moderators of all
>of the conferences that handle controversial topics popping off like
>this, making those who hold opposing points of view feel foolish?
>As a moderator, I'm offended.  As someone with a regard for privacy
>interests, I'm alarmed, because this newsgroup, comp.dcom.telecom,
>wields a lot of informational power.  But what to do about this?

As a regular reader of comp.dcom.telecom (aka the telecom digest) I
am well aware of Pat Townsend's bias, as are most other readers of the
group, I'm sure.  He does not, however, use this bias in suppressing
dissenting views.  I don't feel that Pat's frequent editorial comments
have hindered my ability to gain an understanding of the various sides
of the topics under discussion.  Indeed, many times I think his comments
have led to a more complete discussion as people respond to him as well
as the original poster.

While I agree his bias is something to keep in mind while reading the
group, he is doing an excellent job of providing a high quality
discussion of the current state of telecom.  That group is the only
one I use the nn 'select all articles' command on.

--
Dave McCracken      dcm@dell.dell.com      (512) 343-3720
Dell Computer       9505 Arboretum Blvd    Austin, TX 78759-7299

oberman@rogue.llnl.gov (01/30/91)

In article <15377@milton.u.washington.edu>, cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:

> Is this person biased, or what?  Would you want the moderators of all
> of the conferences that handle controversial topics popping off like
> this, making those who hold opposing points of view feel foolish?
> As a moderator, I'm offended.  As someone with a regard for privacy
> interests, I'm alarmed, because this newsgroup, comp.dcom.telecom,
> wields a lot of informational power.  But what to do about this?

I don't recall Pat ever denying his biasses. People with a truely open mind
also have truely empty ones. I have never seen signs that Pat biases the group
according to his biases, so I don't see a problem. In fact, I look forward to
his notes even when I don't agree with them.

There is an unmoderated forum, alt.dcom.telecom, set up recently. It does not
get much activity. It was set up be someone tired of Pat refusing his posts.
However, it looks like the posts never made it to Pat since the person who was
trying to post never get the automatic acknowedment of the posts.

For whatever reasons, I have never had a post rejected by Pat. Maybe we agree a
lot, but certainly not always. And I have seen many postings on CLID on both
sides in that forum. Pat has refused ANY postings on Caller ID privacy issues
on either side due to the large volume and a new forum was established for the
discussion. Postings on implementation of SS7 and CLID continue, often with
Pat's comments.

					R. Kevin Oberman
					Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
					Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov
   					(415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
and probably don't really know anything useful about anything.

wex@dali.pws.bull.com (Der Grouch) (01/30/91)

In article <15377@milton.u.washington.edu> cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:
   Is th[e moderator of TELECOM digest] biased, or what?  Would you want the
   moderators of all
   of the conferences that handle controversial topics popping off like
   this, making those who hold opposing points of view feel foolish?
   As a moderator, I'm offended.  As someone with a regard for privacy
   interests, I'm alarmed, because this newsgroup, comp.dcom.telecom,
   wields a lot of informational power.  But what to do about this?

I have no opinion about TELECOM DIGEST.  I do not read it.  However, I do
sit across the hall from Steve Elias, a longtime reader of that group who is
in the middle of a feud with the moderator who, Steve claims, is not only
biased but is actively censoring the content of the digest to reflect his
(the moderator's) views.

I do not know if these claims are true.  However, Steve felt strongly enough
about the problem to create an alternative newsgroup, alt.dcom.telecom.  You
should subscribe to this group if you are interested in these topics.
Please propagate this group if you feel its content is worthwhile.  I do not
read this group and am not qualified to judge its merit.

Let me reiterate: I have no opinion vis a vis the concerns expressed by Bob
Jacobson and Steve Elias.  I am posting this information because Steve is
away for at least a week and this article will likely expire here before he
sees it.

--
--Alan Wexelblat			phone: (508)294-7485
Bull Worldwide Information Systems	internet: wex@pws.bull.com

tmkk@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Coleman) (01/30/91)

In article <15377@milton.u.washington.edu> cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:

>Following is a posting from comp.dcom.telecom, the popular newsgroup on
>telecommunications.  The first part is a status report from Atlanta,
>where Southern Bell is forcing customers to accept Caller ID without the
>minimal safeguards of public choice, like per-call blocking.  But it's
>the moderator's addendum that I want you to especially notice:
[...]
>[Moderator's Note: The service rep talking to the 'older gentleman'
>should have called his bluff on the spot:  If I'd been responding to
>him I'd have probably said "Oh, my! Well, Mr. Jones, we'll certainly
>be sorry to lose you as a good subscriber after X years. It has been
>approved and will be available around February 14. Do you want me to
>process the disconnect order on your service for the same day or would
>you want me to have the service turned off sooner?"  (pause, let him
>take it from there ...)   PAT]
>
>Is this person biased, or what?  Would you want the moderators of all
>of the conferences that handle controversial topics popping off like
>this, making those who hold opposing points of view feel foolish?

Although I certainly don't agree with everything Pat has to say (his
stance that BB Systems should pay business rates is one I particularly
agree with), I still think he has the right to an opinion, same as
everyone else. He has the right to express that opinion. The only thing
I would object to is him censoring those who oppose his point of view
(which I have not seen any indications of whatsoever; he published a
couple notes from me on the BBS + Business Rates issue, and I've seen
him post lots of other stuff which clearly diverged from his stated
opinion). Sure, he's biased - we all are. But so is the editorial page
of the newspaper.

What to do about it, you ask? What do you do about the editor of the
Washington Post or the New York Times?

--
Scott Coleman                                                    tmkk@uiuc.edu

"Unisys has demonstrated the power of two. That's their stock price today."
       - Scott McNealy on the history of mergers in the computer industry.

lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) (01/30/91)

I believe Patrick was properly exercising his right to editorial
remarks.  Moreover, I found those remarks quite amusing - the man was
threatening to cut his nose to spite his face.  What's worse is that
he was probably communicating with some poor clerk who couldn't care
less.
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@turbo.bio.net]

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (01/30/91)

I guess different moderators have different styles.  My style, if I
disagree with a posting, is to post my own reply, as a reply.  Putting
snide comments on others' postings is almost calculated to get people's
dander up.  Pat is clearly a technophile.  His postings should reflect
that.

Bob Jacobson

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (01/30/91)

Our node doesn't get alt.dcom.telecom...yet.  I'll make the request.

Bob J.

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") (01/30/91)

xposted to news.misc for lack of news.politics

In article <15377@milton.u.washington.edu> cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:
>[regards to Townson's running of comp.dcom.telecom.]
>Is this person biased, or what?

Yes, he certainly is.  Luckily, it's to the point where it's painfully
obvious that he's strongly biased.  Moderating a newsgroup is a bully
pulpit, for sure.

>... I'm alarmed, because this newsgroup, comp.dcom.telecom,
>wields a lot of informational power.  But what to do about this?

0. People could ask Townson to not put snide comments in articles
he disagrees with.

Failing that,
1. comp.dcom.telecom could be kicked into unmoderated mode.

2. A new moderator could be found, but Townson knows a lot about this
stuff, so it might not be easy to find someone as skilled.  Given
ignorance or opinions, I'd prefer the former.  The only real job
of a moderator is to keep the subject on the topic, correct?

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2120
"It is the cunning of form to veil itself continually in the evidence

milton@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Milton D Miller) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan30.000852.10527@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") writes:

>xposted to news.misc for lack of news.politics
>
>In article <15377@milton.u.washington.edu> cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:
>>[regards to Townson's running of comp.dcom.telecom.]
>>Is this person biased, or what?
>
>Yes, he certainly is.  Luckily, it's to the point where it's painfully
>obvious that he's strongly biased.  Moderating a newsgroup is a bully
>pulpit, for sure.
>
>>... I'm alarmed, because this newsgroup, comp.dcom.telecom,
>>wields a lot of informational power.  But what to do about this?
>
>0. People could ask Townson to not put snide comments in articles
>he disagrees with.
>
>Failing that,
>1. comp.dcom.telecom could be kicked into unmoderated mode.
>
>2. A new moderator could be found, but Townson knows a lot about this
>stuff, so it might not be easy to find someone as skilled.  Given
>ignorance or opinions, I'd prefer the former.  The only real job
>of a moderator is to keep the subject on the topic, correct?
>
>--
>J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2120
>"It is the cunning of form to veil itself continually in the evidence
>of content.  It is the cunning of the code to veil itself and to produce
>itself in the obviousness of value." -- Baudrillard

3. Use alt.dcom.telecom  (created within the last two weeks or so).

milton

jbuck@galileo.berkeley.edu (Joe Buck) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan30.000852.10527@lavaca.uh.edu>, jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") writes:
> 2. A new moderator could be found, but Townson knows a lot about this
> stuff, so it might not be easy to find someone as skilled.  Given
> ignorance or opinions, I'd prefer the former.  The only real job
> of a moderator is to keep the subject on the topic, correct?

That depends; on some moderated newsgroups, that's all the moderator does;
on others, the moderator's personality is strongly reflected throughout
(comp.risks, for example).  There's no rule about it.  Many of the groups
with dominant moderators evolved out of mailing lists, and when people
signed up for the mailing list, that's how it was (risks and telecom
both fit into this category); there's no reason to expect every moderated
group to be moderated the same way.

As for me, I'd choose opinions over ignorance any day of the week, even
though I often disagree with Townson.  I would prefer it if moderators
would restrain themselves from commenting on every little thing, though.
It's annoying.  It could be worse: he could insert bad puns after every
article like Peter Neumann does in comp.risks!

--
Joe Buck
jbuck@galileo.berkeley.edu	 {uunet,ucbvax}!galileo.berkeley.edu!jbuck

johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) (01/30/91)

The moderator of the Telecom Digest is extremely biased, and makes no
attempt to hide it.  His attitude is far easier to understand when you
realize that in real life he works as a high-powered bill collector.

Sometimes I wish he were less adamant about his opinions, but I know from
experience that running such a mailing list or moderated news group is a lot
of work, and he puts a lot of effort into it.  (I run comp.compilers, a far
smaller and less controversial group.)  He does a credible job, and I'm happy
to live with him.

As far as Caller ID goes, I have noted many times that for the purposes of
deterring annoying callers, other CLASS features are at least as useful as
Caller ID.  Call Trace records the number of the last call at telco, so
that you can call them later and report an annoying call.  They can
retrieve the number and do something with it.

Another even more useful feature for stopping annoying calls is Call
Block.  It lets you enter a set of phone numbers that you don't want to
hear from.  When any of them call, they get a recording saying that you're
not accepting their calls, and your phone doesn't ring.  As well as
entering specific numbers, you can also tell it to add whoever just called
to the blocked list.

Call Trace, unlike Caller ID requires neither presubscription nor special
equipment.  By comparison, Caller ID requires a special box to display the
phone number that costs between $50 - $100, and you have to sign up.  In
New Jersey, one of the few places where this is all turned on, Caller ID
costs $6.50/month, Call Block $4/month, and Call Trace $1/use.

--
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@iecc.cambridge.ma.us, {ima|spdcc|world}!iecc!johnl

jef@well.sf.ca.us (Jef Poskanzer) (01/30/91)

In the referenced message, Robert Jacobson wrote:
}I guess different moderators have different styles.  My style, if I
}disagree with a posting, is to post my own reply, as a reply.  Putting
}snide comments on others' postings is almost calculated to get people's
}dander up.

The old moderator of comp.sys.sun used to do this too, and was asked
to stop.  But the complaint in that case was mainly that his appended
comments were often incorrect.  For Pat I guess the complaint is that
the comments are obnoxious.  I see this as far less serious.
---
Jef

  Jef Poskanzer  jef@well.sf.ca.us  {apple, ucbvax, hplabs}!well!jef
"We've got provisions and lots of beer; the key word is survival on the
                            new frontier."

In article <1991Jan30.000852.10527@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") writes:
> Yes, he certainly is.  Luckily, it's to the point where it's painfully
> obvious that he's strongly biased.

> >But what to do about this?

>0., 1., 2.

3. Since his bias is honest and open, simply keep it in mind and put up
   with it.  There is an alt.dcom.telecom for equal time for the folks
   who really really want it.

   Personally, I have less problem with Pat than some other moderators
   who seem awfully quick to reject articles on the grounds that they
   perceieve them to be largely repeating other messages that they
   have recieved (but not yet posted) on the subject.

4. Comp.dcom.telecom could be removed, and the TELECOM digest could
   remain purely as a mailing list.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

hwt@bwdlh490.BNR.CA (Henry Troup) (01/31/91)

discussing it!  Why, if we was any more biased, he'd have created an
unmoderated group for discussing Caller Id!

Caller Id postings are still accepted in comp.dcom.telecom - provided they
are on technical matters.  Discussions/flame wars on the pros and cons are
referred to the mailing list.

Now grow up, eh!

Henry Troup - BNR owns but does not share my opinions | The .signature is the
P.O. Box 3511, Stn. C. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1Y 4H7| lowest form of humour
uunet!bnrgate!hwt%bwdlh490 HWT@BNR.CA +1 613-765-2337 |

dveditz@dbase.A-T.COM (Dan Veditz) (01/31/91)

Bob Jacobson (cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu) noticed a posting in
comp.dcom.telecom from Bill Berbenich in Atlanta (where, according to
*Bob* "Southern Bell is forcing customers to accept Caller ID without
the minimal safeguards of public choice, like per-call blocking.").
He goes ballistic over the moderator's addendum.

The article in question is in the TELECOM Digest Volume 11 Issue 75,
Message 9 of 12 by Bill Berbenich (bill@eedsp.gatech.edu):
> One order clerk (with whom I spoke at relatively great length) did admit
> that she had received a call from a somewhat upset "older gentleman"
> along the lines of 'if Southern Bell follows through on offering CLID,
> I'm going to have my phone disconnected!'
>
> [Moderator's Note: The service rep talking to the 'older gentleman'
> should have called his bluff on the spot:  If I'd been responding to
> him I'd have probably said "Oh, my! Well, Mr. Jones, we'll certainly
> be sorry to lose you as a good subscriber after X years. It has been
> approved and will be available around February 14. Do you want me to
> process the disconnect order on your service for the same day or would
> you want me to have the service turned off sooner?"  (pause, let him
> take it from there ...)   PAT]

To which Bob responds:
> Is this person biased, or what?  Would you want the moderators of all
> of the conferences that handle controversial topics popping off like
> this, making those who hold opposing points of view feel foolish?
> As a moderator, I'm offended.  As someone with a regard for privacy
> interests, I'm alarmed, because this newsgroup, comp.dcom.telecom,
> wields a lot of informational power.  But what to do about this?

First, Bob, you sound a little biased yourself -- Bill's article mentioned
that almost all of the calls to Southern Bell have been requests for the
service, which isn't exactly "forcing customers to accept Caller ID."
Although I agree with your view of CLID, obviously not everyone does.

But more to the point: the TELECOM moderator is a phone-service junkie.
If he weren't he probably wouldn't have the interest to spend as much
time moderating as he does, and he wouldn't have the knowledge that makes
his comments worth reading.  So yes, he does want to see CLID, but unless
I've misread his posts he also wants to see per-call ID Blocking implemented
along with it (if nothing else it's another phone service he can play around
with).  But that wasn't the point of his comment.

The point is that the old man in all likelyhood will *not* have his phone
disconnected, he was bluffing to make the poor service person feel bad or
to let off steam.  He may have been bluffing unconsciously, but the phone
is too useful to give up on, and even if he did the phone company wouldn't
really notice.  A response such as Pat suggested would at least point out to
the man the futility of making a statement in that way.  If he really wanted
to change things he shouldn't harass the service rep., he should write letters
to the PUC and to the highest telco exec he could get the name of.  Cancelling
service is pointless and ineffective UNLESS you also send a letter to
someone who counts explaining why you did it.

As for moderators "popping off", that's one of the things I like about
the TELECOM and RISKS digests because I usually find their comments
to be informative, but I wouldn't want to see all moderated groups
operate that way.  I suppose it depends on why the group is moderated
and what the moderator is expected to provide.  Not everyone likes
the way Pat does his job, so alt.dcom.telecom was recently created
as an outlet for unmoderated discussions on the topic.

To answer Bob's questions.  Biased? You bet -- isn't everyone?  "Popping
off"? Editorials from the Moderator are part of the culture in some
groups, and telecom is one of them.  Making people out to be fools?
I've not seen him do so to one of the participants of the group (though
he does hold strong opinions), but then my interpretation of this incident
differs from yours.  Unconcerned about privacy?  Not likely -- he often
posts (and allows others to post) tips on how to keep phone numbers out
of the hands of people you don't want to have them.  What to do about it?
I don't plan on doing anything, but you could try (in rough order):

   - writing to the Moderator in question and expressing your concern
     (maybe it's just a misunderstanding, or maybe the Moderator will
     see your point and change his policy).  Face it, if you get shoddy
     treatment from the clerks at Sears, complaining to Penny's customers
     isn't likely to make Sears any better.

   - posting to the group itself -- I often see moderators (including
     the TELECOM moderator) post articles that disagree with them.

   - bringing the matter up in news.groups, which covers discussions about
     newsgroups, not just NEW groups.  We've talked about specific moderators
     there in the past.  news.misc gets some of this traffic as well.

   - starting an alternative unmoderated/uncensored group with all the
     other disgruntled readers (like alt.dcom.telecom).

(Note that posting to a completely unrelated group is not on that list.)

A good rule of life: if you don't like what someone has done, confront
them privately first.  Maybe they won't listen, but if they do you can
avoid a lot of hassle, controversy, misunderstandings and ill-will.

And just maybe it'll turn out to be *you* who misinterpreted things and
you'll save yourself a lot of public embarrassment.

-Dan Veditz

dveditz@dbase.A-T.com
uunet!ashtate!dveditz

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") (01/31/91)

In article <10590@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> jbuck@galileo.berkeley.edu (Joe Buck) writes:
>As for me, I'd choose opinions over ignorance any day of the week, even
>though I often disagree with Townson.  I would prefer it if moderators

I was thinking of sci.virtual-worlds, where the moderator is pretty hands
off, but occasionally reminds us that we're straying off the topic.

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2120
"It is the cunning of form to veil itself continually in the evidence
of content.  It is the cunning of the code to veil itself and to produce
itself in the obviousness of value." -- Baudrillard

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (01/31/91)

Let's not forget that comp.dcom.telecom is not a USENET news group
per se, its just a convienent way for USENET readers to receive
the mailing list TELECOM DIGEST.  Pat is not bound by USENET
conventions at all, he is just being kind enough to run the
gateway between the mailing list and network news himself.  (He
didn't use to run it himself, but...)

Can a mailing list moderator be biased.  Sure, and if the people
don't like his bias, they leave the list and form another.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (02/01/91)

tmkk@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Coleman) writes:

}Although I certainly don't agree with everything Pat has to say (his
}stance that BB Systems should pay business rates is one I particularly
}agree with), I still think he has the right to an opinion, same as
}everyone else. He has the right to express that opinion.

I know this a matter of style, but I think that (ab)using his
prerogatives as moderator to engage in debate by 'editing' a posting he
doesn't agree with to include his 'rebuttal' is *NOT* a fair go.  If he
has a contribution to make to the thread, he should just post/mail a
separate item in the thread, under his *own* name; giving his personal
biases the look of apparent-authority of being from the 'moderator'
just doesn't seem right to me.  Now, to have [moderator: ....] comments
for simple factual corrections, or perhaps [in the case of the risks
digest/newgroup] to make the occasional (innocent) joke or pun feels
just right.

That is, I guess I'm saying two things: not only should moderators not
abuse their editorial prerogatives to force other peoples items carry
the moderator's opinions, but I don't even think those opinions should
come from the *moderator* at all... when it comes time to express
opinions, I think the moderator should be 'demoted' to being "just
another poster/mailer".

  /Bernie\

louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us (Louis Giliberto) (02/02/91)

My personal viewpoint is that the moderator has a right, just as anyone else
to give his opinions.  Because he is moderator does not mean he is stripped of
his right of free speech.

What I do have a problem with is the moderator either 1) stifling messages
because he does not agree with them or 2) inserting his comments into the
original message.  This is tampering with other persons' rights.

However, if the moderator responds in the normal way, he is merely expressing
his opinion like everyone else.  His job is to moderate, not to be an
impartial judge.

To stifle messages or tamper with them in any way is to abuse one's power
and to violate a user's rights if the cause is to further one's own
opinion.

That's my $.02

Louis Giliberto
louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (02/03/91)

Pat and I have settled this offline, so I would appreciate it if the
conversation on this topic ended.  He has a right to run his conference
as he chooses.  I would not choose to run my conference like that, and
I will probably be using his conference less as a result of our respec-
tive different points of view.

I think it is just as fair for a participant to point out apparent bias
in a newsgroup, and seek a constructive response from other netliners,
as it is for a moderator to exercise his right to free speech.  Now that
all the points have been covered, maybe it's time to press on with more
substantive issues.  Thanks for posting your feelings.

Bob Jacobson
(Moderator, sci.virtual-worlds)

hotte@sunrise.in-berlin.de (Horst Laumer) (02/05/91)

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:

>Following is a posting from comp.dcom.telecom, the popular newsgroup on
>telecommunications.  The first part is a status report from Atlanta,
>where Southern Bell is forcing customers to accept Caller ID without the
>minimal safeguards of public choice, like per-call blocking.  But it's
>the moderator's addendum that I want you to especially notice:
>
> [ stuff deleted ]
>
>>[Moderator's Note: The service rep talking to the 'older gentleman'
>>should have called his bluff on the spot:  If I'd been responding to
>>him I'd have probably said "Oh, my! Well, Mr. Jones, we'll certainly
>>be sorry to lose you as a good subscriber after X years. It has been
>>approved and will be available around February 14. Do you want me to
>>process the disconnect order on your service for the same day or would
>>you want me to have the service turned off sooner?"  (pause, let him
>>take it from there ...)   PAT]

>Is this person biased, or what?  Would you want the moderators of all
>of the conferences that handle controversial topics popping off like
>this, making those who hold opposing points of view feel foolish?
>As a moderator, I'm offended.  As someone with a regard for privacy
>interests, I'm alarmed, because this newsgroup, comp.dcom.telecom,
>wields a lot of informational power.  But what to do about this?

>Bob Jacobson

create 'comp.war.moderators', and then non-moderators create
'comp.desert-shield.moderators' ....
( #include <smily.h> )
I believe he has had a bad day, but I take it as that. I wanna thank
those folks who moderate the groups, thus risking rare instances of
mismoderation. It shows they're humans like me ! BTW, does a moderator
not have any opinion, or is it expected that he does not make it known
to public ? Don't take it as a hook to start a flame war. Nevertheless,
thanks to you for reminding the community and thus showing your opinion,
too !

sincerely hotte
Horst Laumer, Kantstrasse 107, D-1000 Berlin 12 ! Bang-Adress: Junk-Food
INET: hotte@sunrise.in-berlin.de                ! for Autorouters -- me --
UUCP: ..unido!fub!geminix!sunrise.in-berlin.de!hotte

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (02/07/91)

I do want to put the comp.dcom.telecom issue behind me, but I do want
to point out that the subject of Pat's and my attention was an old man
who, fearing an invasion of his privacy by Caller ID (no block version),
could only threaten the implausible retaliation of having his own phone
cut off.  Pat thought that was ironic.  I thought it was sad.  We're
both right.

Bob Jacobson

learn@igloo.scum.com (Bill HMRP Vajk) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Jan30.225646.23336@dbase.A-T.COM> Dan Veditz writes:

> Editorials from the Moderator are part of the culture in some groups, and
> telecom is one of them.

Is it supposed to be informative, or a culture? We're talking about a comp.
heirarchy group here. Last time such issues were discussed, the subheirarchy
comp.society was created. Is it perhaps time, based on experience, to relocate
this newsgroup?

> Making people out to be fools? I've not seen him do so to one of the
> participants of the group (though he does hold strong opinions), but then
> my interpretation of this incident differs from yours.

There have been some important misstatements made by Patrick based on hearsay.
They ended up smearing further someone with legal problems. That's not easy to
overlook.

The real problem is that personal conclusions seem to be of the National
Enquirer genre. They're sensationalistic in nature.

The folks I talk with agree that Patrick has done a wonderful job of running
the newsgroup. They agree, to a man, that the newsgroup/digest would be better
served with far less commentary by Patrick. None of them has volunteered to
take over, let alone sub for a day.

Bill Vajk

wcs) (02/13/91)

]In article <1991Jan30.225646.23336@dbase.A-T.COM> Dan Veditz writes:
]
]> Editorials from the Moderator are part of the culture in some groups,
]> and telecom is one of them.

I'm seldom bothered by moderator's comments; PAT's are usually
helpful or ignorable, and aren't as bad as PGN's worst puns in RISKS :-)
As long as moderation doesn't become censorship or molassesey delay,
it's ok.
--
				Pray for peace;
					Bill

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") (03/02/91)

In article <1991Jan29.092504.1@rogue.llnl.gov> oberman@rogue.llnl.gov writes:
>In article <15377@milton.u.washington.edu>, cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:
>For whatever reasons, I have never had a post rejected by Pat. Maybe we agree a

I have -- Pat didn't like my grammatical style and use of
gender-blurred pronouns.  After a little back-and-forth, he used it
anyway.

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2120
Skate UNIX or bleed, boyo...