[comp.org.eff.talk] Getting off Equifax's marketing list

carols@drilex.UUCP (Carol Springs) (03/24/91)

In article <159401@felix.UUCP> asylvain@felix.UUCP (Alvin "the Chipmunk"
Sylvain) writes:

>If you don't want Equifax selling your info, try asking them nicely not
>to.  They may say yes, or they may say no.  I don't know their policy,
>but many companies will honor your request.  No matter what, if you don't
>like the answer, and if it's that important to you, punish them.

This will only help in the junk mail context, but...

Equifax will "remove" (their word) your name from its direct marketing file
at your request.  As part of a mutual arrangement, it also notifies the TRW
and TransUnion bureaus to do the same.  "This should eliminate pre-approved
credit offers and other types of direct mail from the customers of these
organizations" -- Equifax standard form letter.

An address for Equifax Options was circulating around the time of the great
Lotus Marketplace debacle.  I didn't keep the address and it wasn't included
in the form letter from Equifax, but the return address on the envelope is:

             Equifax Marketing Decision Systems, Inc.
                  [note:  "Equifax Options" might route
                          your request faster]
             Two Ravinia Drive
             Suite 500
             Atlanta, GA  30346

If anyone has a better address, perhaps it's time to post it again.

--
Carol Springs                      carols@drilex.dri.mgh.com