[comp.org.eff.talk] Dealing with a bad credit report

randolph@cognito.Eng.Sun.COM (Randolph Fritz) (03/22/91)

There is a federal law requiring that the company who turns you down
for credit must give you a copy of the credit report.  You can also
request a correction if there are errors, and add your own version if
the credit reporting company refuses to correct an error.  Procedures
for this are published every so often in *Consumer Reports*, and I
suggest you check there -- putting things in writing and obeying time
limits may be important.

Also, check around in your local library -- they may have something on
this.

   nd t
 ou    ui
R Press  T  __Randolph Fritz  sun!cognito.eng!randolph || randolph@eng.sun.com
 ou    ui     Mountain View, California, North America, Earth
   nd t

luce@aurs01.UUCP (J. Luce) (03/22/91)

-
-Also, check around in your local library -- they may have something on
-this.
-
-   nd t
- ou    ui
-R Press  T  __Randolph Fritz  sun!cognito.eng!randolph || randolph@eng.sun.com
- ou    ui     Mountain View, California, North America, Earth
-   nd t

I am well aware of this stuff, what *IRKS* me is that they or anyone
else with this so-called vested interest can access my data without
asking *AND* getting my permission. What you suggest is after-the-fact
stuff. I want to know if there is anything on the Federal Books against
the accessing of this credit info without written or at the very least
verbal OK to do so...

del@fnx.UUCP (Dag Erik Lindberg) (03/28/91)

In article <10215@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> randolph@cognito.Eng.Sun.COM (Randolph Fritz) writes:
>There is a federal law requiring that the company who turns you down
>for credit must give you a copy of the credit report.  You can also
>request a correction if there are errors, and add your own version if
>the credit reporting company refuses to correct an error.  Procedures
>for this are published every so often in *Consumer Reports*, and I
>suggest you check there -- putting things in writing and obeying time
>limits may be important.

I don't think this is germane(sp?) to the issue.  The issue is with a man that
was denied PREPAID service because of a bad credit report.  Maybe he really
DOES have bad credit.  So what?  Maybe the man screwed up and wasn't able
to pay a few bills.  He gets a bad credit rating.  Now he can't buy
insurance on his house, even if he pre-pays.  His house burns down, with
everything in it, and now the man is left with nothing.  And probably a
major outstanding debt, which combined with bad credit will certainly
prevent him from buying a new house.  And if landlords in NC also have
a 'vested' interest in his credit rating (and who could argue they don't?)
the man wouldn't even be able to rent a place.  The guy ends up on the
street, or begging for a couch from friends.

IMHO this is serious misuse of credit information, and I'll make sure I
*never* move to NC!

--
del AKA Erik Lindberg                             uunet!pilchuck!fnx!del
                          Who is John Galt?