[comp.org.eff.talk] Punishing Evil-Doers

asylvain@felix.UUCP (Alvin "the Chipmunk" Sylvain) (03/22/91)

Trip Martin, of night@rpt.edu graces us with:

> >In article
> >  <1991Mar11.070712.4223@cs.ucla.edu>,
> >     gast@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (David Gast) writes:
> >>
> >> Anyway, when did I ever make Equifax my agent and ask them to sell info
> >> about me?
> >>
> >You freely gave information that is valuable and Equifax is selling
> >it as the agent of the person you gave it to or as their own agent.
>
> More like he was forced to give that information or be denied service.

Hmmmmmm .... I wouldn't quite use the word "force" here.  I mean, it's
not like Equifax is selling anything necessary to your life, liberty and
persuit of happiness, are they?

I suppose that you'd call it "force" if Toyota simply _insisted_ that you
give them some of your _money_ before they gave you a car, hmmm?   Oh,
oh, oh, oh, what a feeling!

If you don't want Equifax selling your info, try asking them nicely not
to.  They may say yes, or they may say no.  I don't know their policy,
but many companies will honor your request.  No matter what, if you don't
like the answer, and if it's that important to you, punish them.

_Keep_your_money!_  (You probably should've put it into CD's anyway!)
--
=========== Opinions are Mine, Typos belong to /usr/ucb/vi ===========
"We're sorry, but the reality you have dialed is no longer in service.

woolf@isi.edu (Suzanne Woolf) (03/29/91)

In article <159401@felix.UUCP> asylvain@felix.UUCP (Alvin "the Chipmunk" Sylvain) writes:
>Trip Martin, of night@rpt.edu graces us with:
>> >In article
>> >  <1991Mar11.070712.4223@cs.ucla.edu>,

>> >You freely gave information that is valuable and Equifax is selling
>> >it as the agent of the person you gave it to or as their own agent.
>>
>> More like he was forced to give that information or be denied service.
>
>Hmmmmmm .... I wouldn't quite use the word "force" here.  I mean, it's
>not like Equifax is selling anything necessary to your life, liberty and
>persuit of happiness, are they?

Nope.  Equifax probably hasn't sold him anything at all.  I've never
done business directly with Equifax; chances are you haven't either;
information he gave to his bank/lender/whoever as part of a business
transaction he made with them was sold to Equifax by them-- not him.

>I suppose that you'd call it "force" if Toyota simply _insisted_ that you
>give them some of your _money_ before they gave you a car, hmmm?   Oh,
>oh, oh, oh, what a feeling!

No.  Toyota gives me something, I give them something, we're both free
to do it and we both do it with prior, informed consent.  When Toyota
then turns around and makes the information I gave them as their
customer in a business relationship available to a third party,
without limitation and without my knowledge or consent, that's
different.

This is where the argument really starts: should there be a third
choice in addition to "Give them the information so they can do
whatever they want" and "Don't do business with anyone who wants
information about me."

I think so.  There are situations in which it would be fine with me to
have a credit record; I willingly authorized my mortgage lender to ask
the other people I do business with if I pay my bills.  I even paid a
fee so they could do so.  It seems reasonable to make a distinction
between authorizing specific uses, which I'd be willing to pay for or
allow as part of doing business with someone, and a blanket
authorization to do whatever anyone wants.

You're right that "forced to give information or be denied service" is
a questionable choice of words above.  But I think it's important to
keep in mind that in the case being discussed the individual was not a
customer of Equifax, never had been, and did not have the option of
deciding not to give them the information.

>If you don't want Equifax selling your info, try asking them nicely not
>to.  They may say yes, or they may say no.  I don't know their policy,
>but many companies will honor your request.  No matter what, if you don't
>like the answer, and if it's that important to you, punish them.

This is always a good idea: try reason first.  Someone's already
posted a followup with an address people can write to if they want to
be taken off Equifax's marketing lists.

But also realize that there are plenty of cases where the people who
have the information didn't get it from you and don't care what you
think.  It's not currently feasible to punish companies in this
situation: you can't refuse to do business with them since you're not
their customer, and there's no recognition currently by law or by
custom that they shouldn't have the information in the first place, or
that they should be limited by your preferences in what they do with
it.

Do you think that agreeing to buy a car from Toyota should implicitly
include giving your consent to having information about you propagated
to whomever they choose, indefinitely?

					--Suzanne
					woolf@isi.edu