[comp.org.eff.talk] CASE: softcopy vs. harcopy records

langz@asylum.SF.CA.US (Lang Zerner) (03/29/91)

In an article in the comp.dcom.telecom Usenet newsgroup,
dmr@research.att.com (Dennis Ritchie) writes:

There's a notorious trial going on now in suburban New York, often
called the `Fatal Attraction' case from its resemblance to a certain
movie plot.  Man A, married to woman B, had an an affair with woman C;
B was shot and killed, and C is being tried for murder.  All the
evidence is circumstantial.

There is reason to believe that C bought a pistol at Ray's Sport Shop
(oddly, just down route 22 from me in New Jersey); though the weapon
has not been found, a recovered bullet corresponds with its type.

Here's the Telecom connection. The prosecutor has summoned MCI, who
brought records showing a telephone call from C to Ray's a day or so
before before the weapon was purchased.

C denies making the call.  Moreover, she presented in evidence a paper
MCI bill for the period, which not only fails to show the call to
Ray's, but also shows a call to her mother at a time which, she
argues, would make it impossible for her to be at the murder scene.
MCI says it has no record of the call to C's mother.

The prosecution objected to the introduction of the paper MCI bill,
but the judge allowed it in evidence.  So the jury has (among other
things) to evaluate the trustworthiness of the MCI records as produced
from their tapes, vs. the piece of paper produced by the defendant.

Dennis Ritchie

--
langz@asylum.sf.ca.us         "Karma means `getting caught.'  The secret to
not creating karma is getting even without getting caught." --Rodent Kapoor

leif@sugar.hackercorp.com (Lee King) (03/29/91)

langz@asylum.SF.CA.US (Lang Zerner @ The Asylum, Belmont, CA)
wrote:

>In an article in the comp.dcom.telecom Usenet newsgroup,
>dmr@research.att.com (Dennis Ritchie) writes:
>There is reason to believe that C bought a pistol at Ray's Sport
>Shop (oddly, just down route 22 from me in New Jersey); though the
>weapon has not been found, a recovered bullet corresponds with its
>type.
>
>Here's the Telecom connection. The prosecutor has summoned MCI,
>who brought records showing a telephone call from C to Ray's a day
>or so before before the weapon was purchased.

   The question I've got is how did the woman buy the gun in the first
place?  It is illegal for a person to buy a pistol in a state other than
their state of residence and New Jersey has a waiting period/background
check for pistol purchases.  Is there more that we aren't being told?
Seems to me that there has to be a third person involved if the gun was
bought in New Jersey and used in New York (To legally buy it in NJ and
illegally sell it to the woman in NY).  If the woman accused of murder was
a resident of New Jersey at the time of purchase there would be a Federal
form (4473 I think) at the gun store with her name on it (if she bought it
herself).
--
Curious about the Libertarian Party? Call LP National HQ at 1-800-682-1776,
or send your USPS address to 76177.2310@COMPUSERVE.COM, attn. Marc Montoni