[comp.org.eff.talk] Harrasing calls

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") (04/01/91)

In article <9YT25UG@taronga.hackercorp.com> peter@taronga.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>More and more people are becoming reluctant to answer the phone. My wife
>often does not answer the phone during the day simply because of all the
>nuisance calls. You're lucky in that they don't bother you. Caller-ID, far
>from closing people away, will help them open up again.

On a similar note:  Every day when I get home from work, there's at least one
"non-message" on my answering machine, usually a dial-tone or a receiver click.
The other day, I was home sick, and bothered answering the phone.  3 different
"would you like a <foo>" calls in 6 hours.

I've decided to stop answering the phone altogether.  If somebody calls
while I'm here, and I recognize their voice while they leave a message
(usually "Eric, I know you're there, pick up the phone, this is your
mother"), I go pick up the receiver.  Otherwise, nada.

Makes my life really simple and *no* caller-id is involved.

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2120
Skate UNIX or bleed, boyo...