[comp.org.eff.talk] EFF Chapters

louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us (Louis Giliberto) (03/20/91)

One thing I would like to see, and I think it might work out well, is the
creation of EFF chapters at colleges.  ACM does this, and although their
agenda is different, it seems to work quite well with respect to informing
students and teachers about computers.

If the EFF did this, they would be addressing some of the problems of the
electronic frontier at the basic level -- the corporate employees, lawyers,
programmers, etc. of the future.

The chapters could sponsor lectures about Computer Use In Business and The
Responsibilty Therein and so on.  Basically, adress the same issues that
come up here on comp.org.eff.talk but within an academic environment.  It could
help to heighten awareness about what goes on with hackers and networks and
direct-mail-advertisement databases and so forth.

It would also help people like me who are frustrated and don't know what to
do to help actually get out there and do something instead of sit back and
read comp.org.eff.news every couple of weeks.

If the EFF were to do something like this, I would be glad to help here at
Loyola in Chicago any way I could.  I'm not too great at organizing or
making an agenda, so they would have to spoon feed me an outline or something.

Is anyone else interested in this?  In the EFF or other students/teachers?

Louis Giliberto
(louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us)

!       "As above, so below; as below, so above" -- The Kybalion          !
!       "I don't trust him; he has dark hair" -- My girlfriend's mother   !
!       "So I'm stupid; what's your point?" -- Me                         !

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (03/20/91)

In <1991Mar19.213148.14254@vpnet.chi.il.us>, louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us writes:
>One thing I would like to see, and I think it might work out well, is the
>creation of EFF chapters at colleges.  ACM does this, and although their
>agenda is different, it seems to work quite well with respect to informing
>students and teachers about computers.

  That'd be great!
  Only one catch .. the politics involved in creating anything beyond
 a "meet in the caf' for coffee and talk" group would be so
 hellatious as to make it impossible. Maybe our faculty's more uptight
 than most, but the very thought of bringing up such a thing with most
 of them would bring a rain of fire down from heaven. To try to talk
 ethics with some of these people would be pretty interesting.

--
     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
  Widener University in Chester, PA                A Bloody Sun-Dec War Zone

poulson@cs.widener.edu (Joshua Poulson) (03/20/91)

Brendan,

Don't be so sure that getting the EFF in as an organization would be so
difficult.  All you need is one faculty advisor to sponsor the activity
and don't ask the Student Government Association for any money.
Besides, you always have the public's right to freely assemble and voice
opinions.  If the faculty you know are uptight about such things they
say so in the student newspaper.  You've done some good work in
_The_Dome_ (Widener's newspaper for those who are from elsewhere) before
and I'm sure you'd love to again.

Now... where are you going to find a sponsor?  <grin>

(by the way, Brendan, we know where you live... ;-> )

--
--JRP [Joshua.R.Poulson@cyber.Widener.EDU] [poulson@cs.Widener.EDU]
"It is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything

theo.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) (03/21/91)

louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us (Louis Giliberto) writes:

> One thing I would like to see, and I think it might work out well, is the
> creation of EFF chapters at colleges.  ACM does this, and although their
> agenda is different, it seems to work quite well with respect to informing
> students and teachers about computers.

What do you mean by saying that ACM has a different agenda. Yes, ACM
does NOT take a legal or political stand on these issues. RATHER,
the chapters share information regarding issues in computing and let
the membership decide as to their own point of view.

We cover ethics in one of our SIGs and here at FAU at least we try to
discuss the ethical/legal implications of our actions in academia
as well as the computing environment.

karish@mindcraft.com (Chuck Karish) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar19.213148.14254@vpnet.chi.il.us>
louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us (Louis Giliberto) writes:
>One thing I would like to see, and I think it might work out well, is the
>creation of EFF chapters at colleges.  [ ... ]
>
>The chapters could sponsor lectures about Computer Use In Business and The
>Responsibilty Therein and so on.  Basically, adress the same issues that
>come up here on comp.org.eff.talk but within an academic environment.

Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility is a membership
organization that's set up to do these things.  CPSR already has a
strong cooperative relationship with EFF.  There are about twenty local
chapters.  I don't think they're directly tied to academic
institutions, but they're located in cities that make them available to
many students.

Outreach to colleges is something that could be pursued either
by interested students or from within CPSR.

Here's a membership form and contact information:

------------------------------

Membership Form for Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility

Name:

Address:

Company:

Type of work:

E-mail address:

Chapter: __Austin  __Berkeley  __Boston  __Chicago  __Denver-Boulder
         __Los Angeles  __Madison  __Maine  __Milwaukee  __Minnesota
         __New Haven  __New York  __Palo Alto  __Philadelphia
         __Pittsburg  __Portland  __San Diego  __Santa Cruz  __Seattle
         __Washington DC

Interested in relationship of computing to:
         __Privacy and Civil Liberties  __International Security
         __Crime  __Weapons  __Education  __Workplace  __Environment

Membership level:  __  $20 Student/Low-income
                   __  $40 Basic
                   __  $75 Regular (receive CPSR poster)
                   __ $150 Supporting (receive all CPSR working papers)
                   __ $500 Sponsoring (receive working papers and book)
                   __$1000 Lifetime (receive poster, papers, book, t-shirt)

Additional donation to help support CPSR's work:

Make check out to: CPSR

Mail form with check to:

    CPSR
    P.O. Box 717
    Palo Alto, CA 94302-9917

Notice:  The CPSR membership database is never sold, rented, loaned,
exchanged, or put to use for anything other than official CPSR
activity.  CPSR may elect to send members mailings with information
from other organizations, but the mailing will always originate within CPSR.

------------------------------

	Chuck Karish		karish@mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (03/24/91)

	Hmm, I'd be interested in starting an EFF chapter in my High School.
Any ideas?  This would be a pure education type thing I guess, and I
think it would be good to educate the students about their rights before
they go to universities like GAT and have them taken away.

--
The Ravings of the Insane Maniac Sameer Parekh -- zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

mvp@hsv3.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) (03/26/91)

In article <669491914.4141@mindcraft.com> karish@mindcraft.com (Chuck Karish) writes:
>In article <1991Mar19.213148.14254@vpnet.chi.il.us>
>>One thing I would like to see ... is ... EFF chapters at colleges.

>Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility is a membership
>organization that's set up to do these things.

Yes, but there are people interested in promoting the aims of EFF who
aren't interested in promoting the entire spectrum of trendy causes
which the Politically Correct define as "Social Responsibility."
The electronic frontier might be better served by a separate group.
--
"It was more dangerous to drive                 Mike Van Pelt
away from Three Mile Island than                Headland Technology/Video 7

learn@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (William Vajk ) (03/26/91)

In article <7846@hsv3.UUCP> mvp@hsv3.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:

>Yes, but there are people interested in promoting the aims of EFF who
>aren't interested in promoting the entire spectrum of trendy causes
>which the Politically Correct define as "Social Responsibility."

It is of great interest to me to hear how "the Politically Correct"
might define "Social Responsibility" any differently then Mike Van Pelt
does.

Beyond that, I am also interested in hearing what the "trendy causes"
might include which, by implication in the included text, have little to
no permanent significance to our societal framework.

It seems that everyone who has thought about the issues we discuss here
determines which axe, if any, they wish to grind. In my experience, such
axes are merely a focal point of an individual's interest, and don't seem
to denote exclusivity of interest at the expense of other, though perhaps
somewhat lesser, emotional attachment to causes celebre.

There is a supurb cohesion which manifests whenever individuals who are
members of some otherwise abstract class feel threatened. Please note that
membership can be inadvertant and passive, yet such a declaration by Law
Enforcement sticks and can be used against an individual in ways impossible
to defeat.

Computer users who haven't yet felt threatened by the events of the past
two years simply haven't yet understood the implications of government
activity as an extension of private interests.

The eventual understanding will, without a doubt, result in a swell
similar to that accompanying the generally belated realizations of our
role in Viet Nam. It is to be expected that the level of anger will exceed
the past example, as we're directly damaging our own citizens this time,
with an obvious and inexcusable malice.

Bill Vajk

samuel@shemp.cs.wisc.edu (Samuel Bates) (03/27/91)

In article <7846@hsv3.UUCP> mvp@hsv3.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
>Yes, but there are people interested in promoting the aims of EFF who
>aren't interested in promoting the entire spectrum of trendy causes
>which the Politically Correct define as "Social Responsibility."
>The electronic frontier might be better served by a separate group.
>--
>"It was more dangerous to drive                 Mike Van Pelt
>away from Three Mile Island than                Headland Technology/Video 7
>to stay there." -- Dr. Bruce Ames.              ...ames!vsi1!v7fs1!mvp

Before tarring an entire organization with the brush of Political Correctness,
you should try to find out if Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility
does in fact promote "trendy causes."  Furthermore, there are twenty different
CPSR chapters, and they have widely differing interests.  I'm not saying that
you shouldn't start a separate group, but kindly do not sling mud at a group
who is, after all, working with the EFF on a number of civil liberties issues.

						--Samuel Bates
						  Chair, CPSR-Madison

faustus@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (Kurt Ackermann) (03/27/91)

In comp.org.eff.talk you write:

>One thing I would like to see, and I think it might work out well, is the
>creation of EFF chapters at colleges.  ACM does this, and although their
>agenda is different, it seems to work quite well with respect to informing
>students and teachers about computers.

>If the EFF did this, they would be addressing some of the problems of the
>electronic frontier at the basic level -- the corporate employees, lawyers,
>programmers, etc. of the future.

Something else you might consider is the general activism of college students.
EFF News could be distributed and talked about, perhaps excerpted in college
papers as timely or interesting issues came up that concerned a broad
enough base of students.  Also, as recently mentioned in another thread in
c.o.e.t, the local chapters could organize trips to certain court cases
(recently very popular in the Chicago area I might add :-) for a show of
support and interest.  Students might also send mailings to congress-folk,
make phone calls, etc.  Young, idealistic, and motivated individuals are a
good base to build.

>The chapters could sponsor lectures about Computer Use In Business and The
>Responsibilty Therein and so on.  Basically, adress the same issues that
>come up here on comp.org.eff.talk but within an academic environment.
>It could help to heighten awareness about what goes on with hackers and
>networks and direct-mail-advertisement databases and so forth.

These are good ideas, too.

>It would also help people like me who are frustrated and don't know what to
>do to help actually get out there and do something instead of sit back and
>read comp.org.eff.news every couple of weeks.

>If the EFF were to do something like this, I would be glad to help here at
>Loyola in Chicago any way I could.  I'm not too great at organizing or
>making an agenda, so they would have to spoon feed me an outline or something.

>Is anyone else interested in this?  In the EFF or other students/teachers?

I'm certainly interested.  Let's see how this strikes others.

>Louis Giliberto
>(louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us)

Kurt Ackermann      |  Grey, dear friend, are all     |
                    |  of your theories; the golden   |

theo.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) (03/27/91)

samuel@shemp.cs.wisc.edu (Samuel Bates) writes:

> In article <7846@hsv3.UUCP> mvp@hsv3.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
> >Yes, but there are people interested in promoting the aims of EFF who
> >aren't interested in promoting the entire spectrum of trendy causes
> >which the Politically Correct define as "Social Responsibility."
> >The electronic frontier might be better served by a separate group.
>
> Before tarring an entire organization with the brush of Political Correctness
> you should try to find out if Computer Professionals for Social Responsibilit
> does in fact promote "trendy causes."  Furthermore, there are twenty differen
> CPSR chapters, and they have widely differing interests.  I'm not saying that
> you shouldn't start a separate group, but kindly do not sling mud at a group
> who is, after all, working with the EFF on a number of civil liberties issues
>
> 						--Samuel Bates
> 						  Chair, CPSR-Madison

Sam,

Being from an educational organization's student chapter (ACM) I would like
to get more information about CSPR to pass along to our chapter (and others
as well). Please send the relevant address(es) etc. and then we can ALL
get educated about what CSPR does and does not do.

theo heavey
chair, acm
florida Atlantic university
theo@cs.fau.edu

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) (03/27/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1991 23:47:40 GMT

Quick and general question:
Where can one find more information about EFF?  Does it have a membership?
What does it do at the local level?
Will appreciate all pointers,

Tony

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (03/29/91)

In article <1396@gargoyle.uchicago.edu>, learn@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (William  Vajk ) writes:
> In article <7846@hsv3.UUCP> mvp@hsv3.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
>
>>Yes, but there are people interested in promoting the aims of EFF who
>>aren't interested in promoting the entire spectrum of trendy causes
>>which the Politically Correct define as "Social Responsibility."
>
> It is of great interest to me to hear how "the Politically Correct"
> might define "Social Responsibility" any differently then Mike Van Pelt
> does.
>
> Beyond that, I am also interested in hearing what the "trendy causes"
> might include which, by implication in the included text, have little to
> no permanent significance to our societal framework.
>
> It seems that everyone who has thought about the issues we discuss here
> determines which axe, if any, they wish to grind. In my experience, such
> axes are merely a focal point of an individual's interest, and don't seem
> to denote exclusivity of interest at the expense of other, though perhaps
> somewhat lesser, emotional attachment to causes celebre.

On about half of what I have seen announced as agenda of CPSR over the years
I find myself concerned about the issue and on the opposite side of the
debate from CPSR.  Other groups that assume the label "Social Responsibility"
are wrong a higher proportion of the time.  The label "Politically Correct"
seems to reliably tie to the areas of difference.

Of course, I'm speaking for me, not for Mike Van Pelt.

dan herrick
herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com

swoodcoc@isis.cs.du.edu (Steven Markus Woodcock) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar26.164325.2631@spool.cs.wisc.edu> samuel@shemp.cs.wisc.edu (Samuel Bates) writes:
>In article <7846@hsv3.UUCP> mvp@hsv3.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
>>Yes, but there are people interested in promoting the aims of EFF who
>>aren't interested in promoting the entire spectrum of trendy causes
>>which the Politically Correct define as "Social Responsibility."
>>The electronic frontier might be better served by a separate group.
>>--
>>"It was more dangerous to drive                 Mike Van Pelt
>>away from Three Mile Island than                Headland Technology/Video 7
>>to stay there." -- Dr. Bruce Ames.              ...ames!vsi1!v7fs1!mvp
>
>Before tarring an entire organization with the brush of Political Correctness,
>you should try to find out if Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility
>does in fact promote "trendy causes."  Furthermore, there are twenty different
>CPSR chapters, and they have widely differing interests.  I'm not saying that
>you shouldn't start a separate group, but kindly do not sling mud at a group
>who is, after all, working with the EFF on a number of civil liberties issues.
>
>						--Samuel Bates
>						  Chair, CPSR-Madison

   With all due respect, Mr. Bates, your organization lost MY respect when
it came down against the SDI concept, favoring the demonstrably amoral
M.A.D. doctrine over M.A.S. (Mutually Assured Survival).

                                                 --Steven M. Woodcock
                                                   SDI Simulations Engineer
                                                   Senior Software Engineer
                                                   National Test Bed

--
    "...Men will awake presently and be Men again, and colour and laughter and
 splendid living will return to a grey civilization. But that will only come

swoodcoc@isis.cs.du.edu (Steven Markus Woodcock) (04/01/91)

Kurt:

   Count me as interested in helping to form an EFF chapter or two out here
(in the Denver/Boulder/Colorado Springs area).

--

karish@mindcraft.com (Chuck Karish) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Apr1.061003.18924@isis.cs.du.edu> swoodcoc@isis.UUCP
(Steven Markus Woodcock) writes:

>   With all due respect, Mr. Bates, your organization lost MY respect when
>it came down against the SDI concept, favoring the demonstrably amoral
>M.A.D. doctrine over M.A.S. (Mutually Assured Survival).
>
>                                                 --Steven M. Woodcock
>                                                   SDI Simulations Engineer
>                                                   Senior Software Engineer
>                                                   National Test Bed

It takes some pretty tricky moral gymnastics to deny to oneself
that a fully functional `defensive' system would also be a potent
tool in an offensive setting.  I see no clear-cut moral distinction
between the two concepts.

If the answer is "But we'd never do that!", please keep it to
yourself (note Woodcock's `Organization:' header: `The Good Guys').

karl@ficc.ferranti.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr1.061003.18924@isis.cs.du.edu> swoodcoc@isis.UUCP (Steven Markus Woodcock) writes:
>   With all due respect, Mr. Bates, your organization lost MY respect when
>it came down against the SDI concept, favoring the demonstrably amoral
>M.A.D. doctrine over M.A.S. (Mutually Assured Survival).
>
>                                                 --Steven M. Woodcock
>                                                   SDI Simulations Engineer
>                                                   Senior Software Engineer
>                                                   National Test Bed

With SDI, survival is neither "mutual" nor "assured".  You are either telling
the Big Lie, that such a shield would be impenetrable, or you are optimistic
or oblivious to a level approaching religious fanaticism.

While I won't go so far as to say "It can't work", it's not too difficult to
conclude "it won't work perfectly", i.e. lots of people and places will
still get vaporized, perhaps enough to bring down civilization.  Some of you
SDI guys have pointed to the phone system as a huge, networked application
that doesn't crash.  Well, it pretty much did crash, and furthermore it is
continually being used, affording lots of opportunities for discovering and
fixing problems.  You'll never have a real SDI test of the magnitude of the
one where it'll have to actually work or dire consequences will result,
hardly "assured survival."
--
-- Have computer, will travel.	    Same old story, same old song;
Come to Texas for the		    it goes all right till it goes all wrong.

randolph@cognito.Eng.Sun.COM (Randolph Fritz) (04/04/91)

[Followups to talk.politics.misc.]

   nd t
 ou    ui
R Press  T  __Randolph Fritz  sun!cognito.eng!randolph || randolph@eng.sun.com
 ou    ui     Mountain View, California, North America, Earth
   nd t

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (04/06/91)

karish@mindcraft.com (Chuck Karish) writes:
>It takes some pretty tricky moral gymnastics to deny to oneself
>that a fully functional `defensive' system would also be a potent
>tool in an offensive setting.  I see no clear-cut moral distinction
>between the two concepts.

It takes a real pacifist to think that such reasoning has any relevancy
to national policy.

--
	The best way to preserve your RKBA is to vote Libertarian.

karl@ficc.ferranti.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>While I won't go so far as to say "It can't work", it's not too difficult to
>conclude "it won't work perfectly", i.e. lots of people and places will

So it won't work perfectly. Does that mean it's no good? Are you
perfect? Should we send Star Trek's Nomad after you to eliminate
imperfection?

--
	The best way to preserve your RKBA is to vote Libertarian.

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) (04/06/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1991 22:32:00 GMT

In article <670552208.6477@mindcraft.com> karish@mindcraft.com (Chuck Karish) writes:
>In article <1991Apr1.061003.18924@isis.cs.du.edu> swoodcoc@isis.UUCP
>(Steven Markus Woodcock) writes:
>>   With all due respect, Mr. Bates, your organization lost MY respect when
>>it came down against the SDI concept, favoring the demonstrably amoral
>>M.A.D. doctrine over M.A.S. (Mutually Assured Survival).
>
>It takes some pretty tricky moral gymnastics to deny to oneself
>that a fully functional `defensive' system would also be a potent
>tool in an offensive setting.  I see no clear-cut moral distinction
>between the two concepts.

So you see no difference between a scud and a patriot?  And it takes
tricky moral gymnastics for you to figure that out.
And you see no clear cut moral distinctions between defense and an
indiscriminate weapon of terror.
I think you just broke a record in my book of intellectual rape on
oneself a person would commit to justify his ideology.

Tony

jefu@twics.co.jp (Jeffrey Shapard) (04/06/91)

While one approach would be to set up EFF chapters whenever
you have enough people to call it such (how many is that?),
it seems to me to be appropriate to AFFILIATE with other
groups and organizations, professional and otherwise, which
have members that share common concerns. And the concerns
of the EFF _should_ be the concerns of all of us in this
medium and all of those associated with computers or telecom
in any capacity. And whether you are on the "right" side
or the "wrong" side -- supply your own definitions of these
values.

The relationship betwee the EFF and the CPSR, and their
cooperation in pulling together one helluva conference in
San Francisco -- and one which brought together folks from
almost all sides of the issues, cops and hackers, DAs and
lawyers, sysops and users, law-makers and law-breakers,
the whole range -- is a good model. If you personally do
not like the overall tone or agenda of the CPSR chapters,
then what about other organizations you are involved in?
What about appropriate SIGs of the ACM? What about the EMA,
the ENA, the VIA and all those other acronym orgs out there?

I always feel a bit distraught when I see a new group arise
and calls for yet another organization (I call it the UN
Syndrome), when it may be more appropriate to work with
and between other existing groups with shared concerns.
Hey, isn't that what networking is all about?

I would like to see the EFF here in Tokyo, but it would be
a lot more effective if we could involve folks in/from
other groups, rather than just having a dozen of us off in
the back booth of a coffee shop talking into the wind.

This newsgroup, by the way, is carried on major nodes of
JUNET, Japan's largest internet, but I have yet to see
anyone else fro other sites here say a thing... though
the issues raised are certainly relevant to the Japanese
context as well. The electronic frontier is booming in
the land of the rising sun.

--jefu

* Jeffrey Shapard <jefu@twics.co.jp>                       "Connectivity   *
* Connect-activist and Operations Director, TWICS, Tokyo    is our biz..." *

shore@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Melinda Shore) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr3.223200.9420@novell.com> tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) writes:
>So you see no difference between a scud and a patriot?  And it takes
>tricky moral gymnastics for you to figure that out.
>And you see no clear cut moral distinctions between defense and an
>indiscriminate weapon of terror.

The US Army biological warfare research program was dismantled in 1968
but the research and development continues, purportedly for "defensive"
purposes.  I'm surprised that anyone would consider anthrax anything
but an indiscriminate weapon of terror.

>I think you just broke a record in my book of intellectual rape on
>oneself a person would commit to justify his ideology.

This sentence is unparseable.  Does an idea lurk within?

Follups to alt.activism
--
                    Software longa, hardware brevis
Melinda Shore - Cornell Information Technologies - shore@theory.tn.cornell.edu

karl@ficc.ferranti.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr5.204255.360@amd.com> phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>karl@ficc.ferranti.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>>While I won't go so far as to say "It can't work", it's not too difficult to
>>conclude "it won't work perfectly", i.e. lots of people and places will

>So it won't work perfectly. Does that mean it's no good? Are you
>perfect? Should we send Star Trek's Nomad after you to eliminate
>imperfection?

Jeez, quote two lines out of the article and discard the rest so that you
can post a followup that misses the whole point, why don't you?  My entire
post was in response to a guy who called SDI "Mutual Assured Survival".  The
part you excerpted was only a piece of a criticism of the mutuality and the
assuredness of "MAS".  I did not conclude that it couldn't or shouldn't be
done, only that it was not "mutual" or "assured", as the original poster, a
software engineer at one of the SDI testbeds, asserted.
--
-- Have Unix system, will travel.   Same old story, same old song;

trevor@ccc.govt.nz (04/11/91)

(Tony Porczyk) writes:

>> [ header deleted... ]
>>
>>It takes some pretty tricky moral gymnastics to deny to oneself
>>that a fully functional `defensive' system would also be a potent
>>tool in an offensive setting.  I see no clear-cut moral distinction
>>between the two concepts.
>
> So you see no difference between a scud and a patriot?  And it takes
> tricky moral gymnastics for you to figure that out.
> And you see no clear cut moral distinctions between defense and an
> indiscriminate weapon of terror.
> I think you just broke a record in my book of intellectual rape on
> oneself a person would commit to justify his ideology.
>
> Tony

Ultimately, weapons of "defence" are blurred with weapons of "offense"; the
issue is not at all a back-and-white one (as Algernon Moncrieff said, the
truth is rarely plain and never simple). Part of British "defence" in WWII
was the nightly bombing of German industry (and also cities...). More recently,
the point of the ABM limitation treaties (and ABMs certainly ARE defensive, in
the same way that Patriots are) was the realisation that ABM sites would
encourage the proliferation of ICBMs and SLBMs to whatever point was neccessary
to saturate all extant ABM systems AND THEN destroy the cities they
"protected". (Re-read that ... kill the people ... ). I would cite the
realisation that there is no philosophical difference between offense and
defence as the major point of Robert McNamara's education during his term as
U.S. defence advisor (please read his account of it before flaming me over
this).

What has this to do with EFF? Not a lot, I suspect, but since the issue is here
I felt a need to answer it. Applying the same sort of arguments to caller-ID
(I'm for it), some arguments say it is a defence of privacy and others say it
will invade privacy; these arguments are not incompatible: it will do both, at
the same time. Someone, somewhere will make a profit out of the
junk-call/call-blocking "race" (but it still beats the arms race, morally), and
we may (those of us who can afford to participate) end up benefitting in some
sort of "quality of life" way from freer & more flexible comms. (We also
benefit from technological improvements "spun off" the arms race...)

Trevor Ingham     			trevor@ccc.govt.nz
Christchurch City Council,              (the address in my header may be
Chch, New Zealand.                      incorrect)

The opinions expressed above may not be construed as representing those of my
employer or anyone else except myself.

"To know the moral precepts, and not to use them to eliminate suffering, is to
be like a sick person, who carries around a large medicine chest which is never
opened" 				- Dagpo Lha Dje