[comp.org.eff.talk] Biden's proposal for Backdoors..

ccastmg@prism.gatech.EDU (Michael G. Goldsman) (04/13/91)

Read the last few comp.risks postings...

There has been an interesting discussion reguarding a drive
by Senator Biden to require vendors of cytological hardware to
create backdoors which law enforment officials could us to decrypt data
if need be...

If I had a business which dealt with a lot
of sensative information, there would be no way I would
buy such hardware.  (I guess that would mean all software ...slow...
encryption right??)

It really bothers me that the government will have the power to
look at anything  they want to...   "But Mike, if you're not
doing anything illegal you have nothing  to worry about..."
That's just a bit police-statish (is that even a word???), isn't it...

Does anyone have the text of Biden's proposal??
(There is a brief excerpt in one the digests...)

-Mike

truesdel@nas.nasa.gov (David A. Truesdell) (04/13/91)

ccastmg@prism.gatech.EDU (Michael G. Goldsman) writes:
>There has been an interesting discussion reguarding a drive
>by Senator Biden to require vendors of cytological hardware to
>create backdoors which law enforment officials could us to decrypt data
>if need be...

>If I had a business which dealt with a lot
>of sensative information, there would be no way I would
>buy such hardware.  (I guess that would mean all software ...slow...
>encryption right??)

>It really bothers me that the government will have the power to
>look at anything  they want to...   "But Mike, if you're not
>doing anything illegal you have nothing  to worry about..."
>That's just a bit police-statish (is that even a word???), isn't it...

Another reason to avoid such hardware;  Any backdoor known to the police
will surely end up in the hands of criminals in a very short time.
You may not mind the information in the hands of the police, but in the
hands of a competitor?
--
T.T.F.N.,
dave truesdell (truesdel@nas.nasa.gov)