[comp.org.eff.talk] Opposition to Apple spectrum petition

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (04/14/91)

In article <1991Apr10.010002.5003@markets.amix.com>, jeff@markets.amix.com (Jeff Crilly N6ZFX) writes:
> [While this note really isn't about ham radio, I thought I'd post it
> anyhow, seeing how there was such heated debate a while ago regarding
> the Apple petition for spectrum.]

Also there's some discussion in comp.org.eff.talk.

> I just read today in Communications Week (4/8/91) that the telcos and the
> utilities have objected to Apple's request for a seperate spectrum
> allocation (in the 1850-1990 MHz band) for "Data-PCS".
> The opposition wants Apple's request folded into a the FCC's broader
> PCS inquiry, which has been underway since june.
> ... Also,
> SWBell thinks that Apple is asking for too much spectrum and hasn't offered
> any compensation for existing users of that spectrum. (1850-1990 MHz is
> currently allocated to commercial, fixed microwave users, such as large
> corporations and utilities that operate private networks.)

Is there any reason besides the standard Apple (intergalactic grade)
case of Not Invented Here, that they can't use the existing Part 15
regulations.  Even in the face of some Part 18 (Industrial, Scientific
, Medical) interference, you should be able to go 50 meters on
the 1 watt allowed under section 15.247.  Bandwidth shouldn't
be a problem with the ranges of 2400 -2483.5 Mhz and 5725-5850 Mhz.

(Yes, those are also ham bands... )

Mark Zenier  markz@ssc.uucp  mzenier@polari.uucp