[comp.org.eff.talk] First Issue of Effector

wab@Rational.COM (Bill Baker) (04/03/91)

I got the first issue of Effector last week sometime and I
confess I chucked into the junk mail pile and only looked at
it tonight.  Aside from the obvious kudos, like that it is a
very well-written, coherent, and valuable newsletter, I would
like to relate something unique about it that means a lot to
me.  Once I got it through my skull that this isn't more
liberal junk mail and is, in fact, a nascent organization I
am vitally interested in, I looked for the dunning notice.
There isn't one.  No EFF equivalent of "If you, Bill Baker,
don't send $30 today, five thousand Sudanese will die
horrible, lingering deaths."  Just this worthwhile
broadside.  Gratis.  Here I am, checkbook in hand,
all set to donate, but they don't want it.

For that alone the founders of EFF deserve a big round of
applause.  Most non-profits turn immediately to repaying
founders loans and ensuring income for staff salaries.  To
resist that temptation, if only in the first periodical issue,
is truly laudable.

My checkbook is still open, but you guys better hurry with the
"Dear Friend" letters.  After this posting I'm going to be up
to my ass in Greenpeace notices.

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (04/04/91)

Actually, it's not "five thousand Sudanese starving" in the African desert,
it's more like 20 million, according to the Wall Street Journal.  But we
online types shouldn't be bothered.  Anyway, I too was impressed that EFF
didn't solicit funds...but shouldn't it?  There's more to be done than EFF
can afford to do, so why be proud?

Bob Jacobson
--

mnemonic@eff.org (Mike Godwin) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr4.055916.16000@milton.u.washington.edu> cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:

>Anyway, I too was impressed that EFF
>didn't solicit funds...but shouldn't it?  There's more to be done than EFF
>can afford to do, so why be proud?

It's not pride, but a pending 501c3 application that's kept us from
actively soliciting funds. In the meantime, it seemed worthwhile to
publish something that let people know what we were up to.

--Mike

--
Mike Godwin, (617) 864-0665 | "You gotta put down the ducky
mnemonic@eff.org            |  if you wanna play the saxophone."

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (04/14/91)

	I sent my address (USMail) to where I read I was supposed to send
it, yet I haven't recieved the EFFector yet.  I had assumed that it was
still in the mail, but someone said he received it a week ago, so something
may be wrong.
--
The Ravings of the Insane Maniac Sameer Parekh -- zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

mnemonic@eff.org (Mike Godwin) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr14.062848.25968@ddsw1.MCS.COM> zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) writes:

>	I sent my address (USMail) to where I read I was supposed to send
>it, yet I haven't recieved the EFFector yet.  I had assumed that it was
>still in the mail, but someone said he received it a week ago, so something
>may be wrong.

We are short-handed. We did one mass mailout, using a mailing list
from the Well. All other mailings occur when we have a chance to get
to them.

--Mike

--
Mike Godwin, (617) 864-0665 | "Language is a virus
mnemonic@eff.org            |  from outer space."

louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us (Louis Giliberto) (04/16/91)

Could Mike Godwin or somebody please repost the E-Mail address to which
I should send my post office address to get the EFFector?

I'm pretty sure it's eff-request@eff.org, but I want to be sure.

Thanks!

Louis
(louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us)

!       "As above, so below; as below, so above" -- The Kybalion          !
!       "I don't trust him; he has dark hair" -- My girlfriend's mother   !
!       "So I'm stupid; what's your point?" -- Me                         !