[comp.org.eff.talk] Getting your credit report for free

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz) (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr6.191817.23675@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, spm2d@uvacs (Steven P. Miale) writes:
| I also believe we should be able to get our credit reports for free instead
| of having to pay $X a month for them, but that is another topic.

Actually, they're easy to get for free (OK, the cost of one or two
stamps).

Apply for some credit.  Any credit.  Most importantly, something you
will get rejected for.  (AmEx Turbo-Platinum, if you wish. :-) (To
keep it to only costing one stamp, use one of those AmEx card
applications with the prepaid business-reply envelopes from some
store.)

When the reject letter appears, it *must* contain the name of the
credit bureau that provided some information to the credit grantor.
Simply send a copy of the reject letter, along with your name, SSN,
date of birth, and recent home/mail addresses to the designated credit
bureau.  (I don't even write a cover letter anymore.  I just scribble
that info on top of the copy, and a big note "send me my credit
report".)

In two weeks or less, for the cost of a stamp, bingo, a big envelope
appears in the mail.  (Even better, at this point, I can challenge
*any* info in the report that seems to be out of line.)

You must write the credit bureau within 30 days of the date on the
reject letter.

Why pay $X a month?  (Or even $X/5? :-)

Just another credit user,
--
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |

pflueger@thewav.enet.dec.com (Free speech is a sound investment) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr7.065321.7204@iwarp.intel.com>, merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes...
>In article <1991Apr6.191817.23675@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, spm2d@uvacs (Steven P. Miale) writes:
>| I also believe we should be able to get our credit reports for free instead
>| of having to pay $X a month for them, but that is another topic.
>
>Actually, they're easy to get for free (OK, the cost of one or two
>stamps).
>
>Apply for some credit.  Any credit.  Most importantly, something you
>will get rejected for.  (AmEx Turbo-Platinum, if you wish. :-) (To
>keep it to only costing one stamp, use one of those AmEx card
>applications with the prepaid business-reply envelopes from some
>store.)

[...]

The downside risk on this strategy is that the negative reference will remain
on your credit profile for 6 months.  Also be careful that you know what credit
reporting bureau they use before you send in your application.  If you don't
ask, then you run the risk of getting multiple rejections on a single report,
while your intent was to obtain your TRW/CBI/Equifax report.

If you want to try this idea, then ask the creditor (call them toll free)
as to what bureau they use before you fill in the application.

This scenario can be used to your advantage when you apply for credit; If you
have a better report with TRW, then apply with a creditor that won't pull your
CBI!  [Of course, that's assuming that your TRW is better than your CBI]

 *-				    --+--                                     -*
  Jim Pflueger  		      |	      pflueger@thewav.enet.dec.com
  DEC Enterprise Integration Services |	      !decwrl!thewav.enet!pflueger
  Costa Mesa, California              |   < This reply entered via News-Notes >
				      +
         --  The mind once expanded to the dimensions of a larger  --
               --  idea never returns to its original size  --
                     --<    Oliver Wendell Holmes    >--

smith@pyrite.SOM.CWRU.Edu (Phil Smyth) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr7.065321.7204@iwarp.intel.com> merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:
>credit bureau that provided some information to the credit grantor.
>Simply send a copy of the reject letter, along with your name,
>SSN,
Why are you sending them your SSN, because they require it??
BS, I didn't send them mine and they had no trouble producing my report.