[comp.org.eff.talk] Caller ID? Hardly

tom.jennings@f111.n125.z1.FIDONET.ORG (tom jennings) (04/15/91)

OK, this is against etiquette re: verbosity, but I think I can sum up the issue at hand:

OK, enough hypothetical cases. First I'll give you some data, then you get
to make a Hard Decision. Be honest now.

I am 35 years old. Male, white, etc. My boyfriend just turned 20. I publish
a gay/punk zine called HOMOCORE. Lots of kids 'n' not so kids read it,
write to it and such. Maybe your kids. I find most gay activism too
complacent and willing to assimilate into the mess we call society. I'm
skilled programmer/designer (author/architect of FidoNet & other things). I
have other skills greater than that. I am a gun owner, and an NRA-certified
firearm instructor. I converted my car to propane. I had a SECRET security
clearance once. I attend protests, such as when the catholic pope was in
San Francisco. I have wierd haircuts and a leather jacket. I have actually
read the Constitution. I have never been arrested in my life. I personally
favor certain substances, such as LSD, and dislike others, such as cocaine.
I am outspoken and extremely honest at all times.

OK now, the question (OK it's two) -- (a) If I was accused of some crime,
would you emotionally, non-intellectually feel a gut satisfaction in this?
(b) Would you personally speak up in my defense if you knew I was innocent?

To be continued.

--
tom jennings - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!111!tom.jennings

swoodcoc@isis.cs.du.edu (Steven Markus Woodcock) (04/21/91)

In article <13824.280D44B3@fidogate.FIDONET.ORG> tom.jennings@f111.n125.z1.FIDONET.ORG (tom jennings) writes:
>OK, this is against etiquette re: verbosity, but I think I can sum up the issue at hand:
>

>OK, enough hypothetical cases. First I'll give you some data, then you get
>to make a Hard Decision. Be honest now.
>
>I am 35 years old. Male, white, etc. My boyfriend just turned 20. I publish
>a gay/punk zine called HOMOCORE. Lots of kids 'n' not so kids read it,
>write to it and such. Maybe your kids. I find most gay activism too
>complacent and willing to assimilate into the mess we call society. I'm
>skilled programmer/designer (author/architect of FidoNet & other things). I
>have other skills greater than that. I am a gun owner, and an NRA-certified
>firearm instructor. I converted my car to propane. I had a SECRET security
>clearance once. I attend protests, such as when the catholic pope was in
>San Francisco. I have wierd haircuts and a leather jacket. I have actually
>read the Constitution. I have never been arrested in my life. I personally
>favor certain substances, such as LSD, and dislike others, such as cocaine.
>I am outspoken and extremely honest at all times.
>
>OK now, the question (OK it's two) -- (a) If I was accused of some crime,
>would you emotionally, non-intellectually feel a gut satisfaction in this?
>(b) Would you personally speak up in my defense if you knew I was innocent?
>
>To be continued.
>

>--
>tom jennings - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
>    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!111!tom.jennings
>INTERNET: tom.jennings@f111.n125.z1.FIDONET.ORG

Tom:

   (a)  Presuming that I know you personally (i.e., you're a friend of mine
    and/or I "know" you wouldn't do whatever the crime was), of course not.
    I'd do everything I could to help you fight the rap.
   (b)  I already answered that.

   If you want to be homosexual, that's your business.  Privacy is paramount.

Steven W.

--
    "...Men will awake presently and be Men again, and colour and laughter and
 splendid living will return to a grey civilization. But that will only come

lee@wang.com (Lee Story) (04/24/91)

Tom,
   Personally I've never been terribly attracted to a member of the
same sex, and insofar as "punk" is a subspecies of "rock", I see it as
a degrading influence on the great tradition of American popular song,
from Kern through Arlen to Bernstein.  So we don't agree on
everything.
  On the other hand, I'm sure that anyone who protests the Pope (over
the church's population policies, I hope), is concerned about pollution,
and prefers acid to cocaine can't be all bad.

What's troubling about your posting is that you seem to assume without
question that a typical netter (whatever that is) would find your
personality and preferences (or perhaps it's an assumed personality)
repugnant, and that the only question is whether (s)he is willing to
grant you legal rights.  Do you really think of yourself as a litmus
test for toleration?  Like most paranoid positions, this seems awfully
egotistical.  Are you sure anyone notices or gives a damn?  That's the
real problem in the environmental movement AND in rights movements
like EFF: getting people to give enough of a damn.  Actually, I hope
AND EXPECT that in 30-40 years your opinions AS STATED HERE (or at
least many of them) will be considered MAINSTREAM REPUBLICAN, and your
kids will consider you "square" (or whatever they'll call it).

  Lee Story (lee@wang.com) Wang Laboratories, Inc.
     (Boston and New Hampshire AMC, and Merrimack Valley Paddlers)