[comp.org.eff.talk] Law school, boring?

barry@chatham.uucp (Barry Campbell) (04/21/91)

Well, not exactly.  The first-year core has its dull moments, but in
general I've found it delightfully stimulating.  On the other hand,
I'm at a state school (UNC) with low tuition, a collegial and cordial
atmosphere, and few intellectual pretensions... which makes what BS
there is a bit easier to swallow.

Because I don't have enough excitement in my life :-), though, I'm
interested in starting an EFF chapter at the law school.  There are a fair
number of people interested in the civil rights implications of the electroi
(whoops) electronic/cybernetic revolution down here.

Can you help me out with that, Mike?

Barry Campbell
barry%chatham@duke.cs.duke.edu / UUCP: [...] mcnc!wolves!chatham!barry
Chatham Host BBS 919 932 1142 / Chapel Hill, North Carolina
"Pray for a good harvest, but don't stop hoeing." - Bohemian proverb

mnemonic@eff.org (Mike Godwin) (04/22/91)

In article <3DDq11w164w@chatham.uucp> barry@chatham.uucp (Barry Campbell) writes:
>Well, not exactly.  The first-year core has its dull moments, but in
>general I've found it delightfully stimulating.  On the other hand,
>I'm at a state school (UNC) with low tuition, a collegial and cordial
>atmosphere, and few intellectual pretensions... which makes what BS
>there is a bit easier to swallow.

Except for certain periods of panicky and a general loss of sleep,
I thought the first year was pretty interesting, and I didn't lose
interest as I continued in law school. I'm told I'm an exception on
this score, however.

>Because I don't have enough excitement in my life :-), though, I'm
>interested in starting an EFF chapter at the law school.  There are a fair
>number of people interested in the civil rights implications of the electroi
>(whoops) electronic/cybernetic revolution down here.

We're not quite at the stage where we can support EFF chapters, although
we'll want your help when we reach that stage. We're still waiting for
our 501c3 application to be processed, which makes a big difference.

In the meantime, check the Sunday New York Times magazine for its
article about John Perry Barlow, Mitch Kapor, and EFF.

--Mike
.

--
Mike Godwin,        |"Most pernicious of French imports is the notion that
mnemonic@eff.org    | there is no person behind a text. Is there anything more

wdstarr@athena.mit.edu (William December Starr) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr21.180107.10697@eff.org>,
mnemonic@eff.org (Mike Godwin) said:

> >Well, not exactly.  The first-year core has its dull moments, but
> >in general I've found it delightfully stimulating.  [Barry Campbell]

> Except for certain periods of panicky and a general loss of sleep,
> I thought the first year was pretty interesting, and I didn't lose
> interest as I continued in law school. I'm told I'm an exception
> on this score, however.

I'll second and third the above (except for the bit about Mike being
an exception; I'm not qualified to render judgement on that :-).

Sometimes it's fascinating, sometimes it frustration, occasionally
it's boring (especially when some other student is talking and is
either getting it wrong, is asking about something I already
understand, or is so clueless as to be incomprehensible...
naturally, *I'm* never guilty of any of these sins :-), and, in the
few weeks before finals, it can be downright terrifying... but in
general it's a good experience and it beats the hell out of working
in the real world. :-)
--
William December Starr <wdstarr@athena.mit.edu>

  Q: What happened then?

  A: He told me, he says, "I have to kill you because you can
     identify me."

  Q: Did he kill you?

  A: No.

gundrum@svc.portal.com (04/25/91)

>Sometimes it's fascinating, sometimes it frustration, occasionally
>it's boring (especially when some other student is talking and is
>either getting it wrong, is asking about something I already
>understand, or is so clueless as to be incomprehensible...
>naturally, *I'm* never guilty of any of these sins :-), and, in the
>few weeks before finals, it can be downright terrifying... but in
>general it's a good experience and it beats the hell out of working
>in the real world. :-)

I don't think law students have a monopoly on this. O:-)

Any statements made by this account are strictly based on heresay and
should be assumed to have no intelligence behind them. (No, that does
not mean they have the approval of management.) gundrum@svc.portal.com