[comp.org.eff.talk] Is it reasonable to become a lawyer?

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (04/11/91)

[This is cross posted to misc.legal because it contains questions
 about how one becomes a lawyer, and to comp.org.eff.talk, because
 it contains questions about what one should do after one becomes
 a lawyer if one wants to deal with the issues EFF deals with]

I estimate that in about five years (when I'm 35) I'll be tired
of my current line of work (programming).  I'll still be interested
in keeping up with computer technology, but will be tired of actually
spending all my time writing new programs.  And I do not want to
move into management.

I'm interested in several of the legal and social aspects of computing,
such as copyrights and patents as they apply to software, privacy and
liability in email, BBS freedom, etc..

I'm wondering if it would be reasonable when I tire of programming
to get legal training or even become a lawyer and specialize in
these areas.

What does it take to switch to law from another profession?  For
example, how much preparation must one have before law school,
and what does it take to get into law school, and how much does
it cost, and how long does it take?

And if I do this, what are the prospects after law school?  I don't
think I want to actually end up as a working lawyer.  I think I would
like to end up working with my current employer in a research capacity
(which the owner of the company says fits in with his plans for me)
which would take up maybe 30 hrs/week, and then maybe donate the
rest of my time to organizations like the EFF or other such organizations
that are interested in these issues or just providing free advice to
people who can't afford a lawyer (like, say, BBS operators or
shareware authors).  Would this be useful to such organizations
or groups, or am I just being crazy here?

						Tim Smith

mnemonic@eff.org (Mike Godwin) (04/12/91)

In article <41162@cup.portal.com> ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) writes:

>I'm wondering if it would be reasonable when I tire of programming
>to get legal training or even become a lawyer and specialize in
>these areas.

Assuming that it is ever reasonable to become a lawyer, yes, what
you describe here is reasonable.

>What does it take to switch to law from another profession?  For
>example, how much preparation must one have before law school,
>and what does it take to get into law school, and how much does
>it cost, and how long does it take?

No further educational prep is necessary, other than law school
itself, which typically lasts three years. Prices vary--check a
Barron's guide or something similar.

>And if I do this, what are the prospects after law school?  I don't
>think I want to actually end up as a working lawyer.  I think I would
>like to end up working with my current employer in a research capacity
>(which the owner of the company says fits in with his plans for me)
>which would take up maybe 30 hrs/week, and then maybe donate the
>rest of my time to organizations like the EFF or other such organizations
>that are interested in these issues or just providing free advice to
>people who can't afford a lawyer (like, say, BBS operators or
>shareware authors).  Would this be useful to such organizations
>or groups, or am I just being crazy here?

Job oppportunities will vary, depending on your performance in school
and your interests. It's hard to predict ahead of time what either will
be. I work for EFF because there aren't many lawyers like me. I think
there may well be a market for more of them.

On the other hand, there are a lot of lawyers out there.

--Mike

--
Mike Godwin, (617) 864-0665 | "Language is a virus
mnemonic@eff.org            |  from outer space."

twc@ys2.uucp (Ted Chan) (04/13/91)

[stuff deleted]

> I'm interested in several of the legal and social aspects of computing,
> such as copyrights and patents as they apply to software, privacy and
> liability in email, BBS freedom, etc..
>
> I'm wondering if it would be reasonable when I tire of programming
> to get legal training or even become a lawyer and specialize in
> these areas.

Law school shouldn't be too difficult for anyone with any training
in an intellectually rigorous discipline, e.g. engineering, math, cs.

> What does it take to switch to law from another profession?  For
> example, how much preparation must one have before law school,

If your basic reading and writing skills are up to snuff,  you
shouldn't require any preparation beyond taking a course to
prepare you for the LSAT.  Law is a discipline that places
a premium on diligence, rather than intelligence or aptitude (but
of course, the latter two characteristics do help...).

> and what does it take to get into law school, and how much does

Decent grades and decent LSAT scores.

> it cost, and how long does it take?

UC law schools are relatively cheap, but private school tuition
can run 10-15K/year.  Law school takes 3 years full-time, four
years part time.

> And if I do this, what are the prospects after law school?  I don't

Good for computer lawyers, so-so for run of the mill lawyers.

> think I want to actually end up as a working lawyer.  I think I would
> like to end up working with my current employer in a research capacity
> (which the owner of the company says fits in with his plans for me)
> which would take up maybe 30 hrs/week, and then maybe donate the
> rest of my time to organizations like the EFF or other such organizations
> that are interested in these issues or just providing free advice to
> people who can't afford a lawyer (like, say, BBS operators or
> shareware authors).  Would this be useful to such organizations
> or groups, or am I just being crazy here?

You can feel free to do what you like, however, if you don't practice
law, you'd better have an extremely good income from you chosen job
(to pay off those student loans)!

--twc

*  I have found a truly wonderful proof which  *  UCB Mathematics 1983   *
*  this margin is too narrow to contain.       *  Standard Disclaimer(s) *
*  Ted W. Chan        *   Micro Flexhead(TM)   *  UUCP:  twc@legal.uucp  *
*  Corporate Counsel  *   Contact Recording    *  DATA:  (408) 241-8373  *
*  Censtor Corp.      *   Heads and Media      *  VOICE: (408) 298-8400  *

louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us (Louis Giliberto) (04/15/91)

At Loyola University where I am an undergrad in CompSci (Chicago campus), they
have a program that may interest some people.  You can concurrently get
a masters degree in computer science and a law degree.  Loyola's law school
is pretty decent, and so is the CS program.  Being in Chicago is also a benefit.

I was thinking of doing this, but I would rahter try for a doctorate in CS
and I don't want to be in school until I'm 40, so....

I'm already in the combined BS/MS program (next semester) so I don't have time,
either.   Plus, my sister wants to be a corporate (gag!) lawyer and follow
in Daddy's footsteps (double gag!) so I'm not even going to bother.

What does this have to do with anything?  Nothing.  I just thought that
the particular program they had going was of interest to people.

Louis giliberto, Jr.
(louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us)

!       "As above, so below; as below, so above" -- The Kybalion          !
!       "I don't trust him; he has dark hair" -- My girlfriend's mother   !
!       "So I'm stupid; what's your point?" -- Me                         !

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (04/16/91)

I've received a few email replies to my posting on the reasonablness
of becoming a lawyer.  Most of them were either from people doing
what I was contemplating, or who want a summary of whatever I receive,
or both.

In a couple of weeks, I'll summarize the email and post it.

						Tim Smith

jwoodman@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jonathan A Woodman) (04/17/91)

In article <41162@cup.portal.com> ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) writes:

>I estimate that in about five years (when I'm 35) I'll be tired
>of my current line of work (programming).

>What does it take to switch to law from another profession?  For
>example, how much preparation must one have before law school,
>and what does it take to get into law school, and how much does
>it cost, and how long does it take?

I certainly am not an expert, but I can tell you by looking at the current crop
of law students at my school, that there are quite a few people who are in
similar positions to the one you describe. In fact, in Civil Procedure, I sit
next to a 39 year old ex-banker on one side, and a 42 year old ex-programmer
on the other.

Very little preparation is needed to get into law school, really. It seems
like the history and poli sci majors don't do any better than the engineers.
Law school is only three years (maybe the quickest doctorate there is) and
around here, in-state tuition is about $4,000/year, which is pretty reasonable
when you consider what the degree will be worth.

So if you have the inclination and motivation to switch to a legal career,
go for it! You certainly are not alone, and you may very well find it to
be a rewarding change.

Jonathan Woodman

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (04/18/91)

> Law school shouldn't be too difficult for anyone with any training
> in an intellectually rigorous discipline, e.g. engineering, math, cs.

I disagree.  Law school shouldn't be too difficult for anyone who enjoys
reading, understanding, and virtually memorizing hundreds of pages of dull and
boring text each and every night.  It really has nothing to do with previous
training in an "intellectually rigorous discipline".  The skills necessary to
do well in law school, besides a pathological need to have a book in one hand
and a yellow highlighter in the other, include sorting through reams and reams
of garbage to find the small glimmer of usefulness at the bottom.  Engineering,
math or CS will not prepare you for shoveling piles of bullshit.

> > and what does it take to get into law school, and how much does
>
> Decent grades and decent LSAT scores.

That's the way it USED to be.  The number of applications have increased so
much in recent years that many people with 4.0 averages and 48 LSAT scores are
being REJECTED.  Why?  Becuase they have no lives.  What is looked for now,
besides very good grades and very good LSAT scores are life skills, such as
prior career, prior publications, other organizations you have excelled with,
etc. etc.

> > And if I do this, what are the prospects after law school?  I don't

> Good for computer lawyers, so-so for run of the mill lawyers.

Oh?  Only if you are willing to move.  For example, I had 54 interviews with
firms in Washington DC that deal with computer law.  I was editor in chief of a
technology law journal.  My grades were very good, and I have good interview
skills.  NONE of these interviews resulted in a job.  Why?  MANY firms are just
plain not hiring (yet they interview anyway to keep in practice...at least that
was their "official" reasining).  I got my job by personal contacts in a
corporation.

> You can feel free to do what you like, however, if you don't practice
> law, you'd better have an extremely good income from you chosen job
> (to pay off those student loans)!

No kidding!  Problem is, even with the average associates income, if your loans
are substantial, such as top ten private schools (16,000 + per year, plus
living expenses), you STILL can't afford the loans unless you work on Wall
Street.  You certainly won't be able to afford a $40,000 corporate position, or
a $30,000 government or public service position.

Mikki Barry

jwoodman@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jonathan A Woodman) (04/20/91)

In article <DAB90.3BAD@intercon.com> ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) writes:

>> Law school shouldn't be too difficult for anyone with any training
>> in an intellectually rigorous discipline, e.g. engineering, math, cs.
>
>I disagree.  Law school shouldn't be too difficult for anyone who enjoys
>reading, understanding, and virtually memorizing hundreds of pages of dull and
>boring text each and every night.

I must say that I found my engineering texts much more boring and tedious than
the law cases I now read. Really! Reading some Cardozo cases is like reading
poetry. Truly a master of the finely turned phrase. Besides, the rule of law is
what really matters.

>It really has nothing to do with previous
>training in an "intellectually rigorous discipline".  The skills necessary to
>do well in law school, besides a pathological need to have a book in one hand
>and a yellow highlighter in the other, include sorting through reams and reams
>of garbage to find the small glimmer of usefulness at the bottom. Engineering,
>math or CS will not prepare you for shoveling piles of bullshit.

Geez, Mikki, are you *sure* you want to be a lawyer? As a fellow law student,
I must say, I don't feel this way at all.

>> > And if I do this, what are the prospects after law school?  I don't
>
>> Good for computer lawyers, so-so for run of the mill lawyers.
>
>Oh?  Only if you are willing to move.  For example, I had 54 interviews with
>firms in Washington DC that deal with computer law. I was editor in chief of a
>technology law journal.  My grades were very good, and I have good interview
>skills. NONE of these interviews resulted in a job.

Gosh, all the high-tech firms out here are saying that they have never seen a
better job market for people coming out of law school with technical
backgrounds. Maybe that is just out here in the Midwest, but look around. While
most law students are scared to death of the job market right now, those with
technical backgrounds appear to be sitting pretty.

>> You can feel free to do what you like, however, if you don't practice
>> law, you'd better have an extremely good income from you chosen job
>> (to pay off those student loans)!

Unless you go to a state-funded school! :-)

Jonathan Woodman
Class of '93

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr19.193313.314@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,
jwoodman@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jonathan A Woodman) writes:
> Gosh, all the high-tech firms out here are saying that they have never seen a
> better job market for people coming out of law school with technical
> backgrounds. Maybe that is just out here in the Midwest, but look around.
While
> most law students are scared to death of the job market right now, those with
> technical backgrounds appear to be sitting pretty.

I think that it is indeed because you are in the Midwest.  East Coast and West
Coast people are finding it very difficult to find jobs, even from elite
schools.  30-40% of my class are unemployed.  This includes computer lawyers,
as well as main journal editors.  The difference is that if your "technical
background" is in hardware, etc. and you want to be a patent lawyer, it's much
easier to find a job.  The problem is that CS is *not* considered a technical
discipline by the patent bar.  So, of course, the only people who know enough
about software to argue for/against a patent are summarily excluded.  But then,
that's government for you.

> >> You can feel free to do what you like, however, if you don't practice
> >> law, you'd better have an extremely good income from you chosen job
> >> (to pay off those student loans)!
>
> Unless you go to a state-funded school! :-)

You still usually need loans to sustain yourself since you can't really work
first year.

joeh@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Joe Hollinger) (04/23/91)

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) writes:

>You still usually need loans to sustain yourself since you can't really work
>first year.

I did.

barry@chatham.uucp (Barry Campbell) (04/23/91)

joeh@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Joe Hollinger) writes:

> ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) writes:
>
> >You still usually need loans to sustain yourself since you can't really work
> >first year.
>
> I did.

I'm a first-year, and I'm working at the moment... well, at the moment, I'm
posting on Usenet, but I do work. :)

It's not only possible, I'd recommend it... helps one keep one's feet on the
ground.

Barry Campbell
barry%chatham@duke.cs.duke.edu / UUCP: [...] mcnc!wolves!chatham!barry
Chatham Host BBS 919 932 1142 / Chapel Hill, North Carolina
"Pray for a good harvest, but don't stop hoeing." - Bohemian proverb

jwoodman@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jonathan A Woodman) (04/24/91)

In article  barry@chatham.uucp (Barry Campbell) writes:

>joeh@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Joe Hollinger) writes:

>> ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) writes:

>>>You still usually need loans to sustain yourself since you can't really work
>>>first year.

>> I did.

>I'm a first-year, and I'm working at the moment... well, at the moment, I'm
>posting on Usenet, but I do work. :)
>
>It's not only possible, I'd recommend it... helps one keep one's feet on the
>ground.

Me, too. I'm a first year, and I work part-time for a lawyer downtown. All of
my first-year friends are actually envious, because putting the stuff I have
learned into practice has made my first year *easier*. Besides, I'm learning
all sorts of things that they don't teach you in law school....

Jonathan Woodman

harkcom@spinach.pa.yokogawa.co.jp (Alton Harkcom) (04/24/91)

The subject line of this one really tickles me when I see it.

   ThinK:

   Lawyers
   Computers
   Reasonable

   Should keep one laughing for the few years it takes the law to ruin
the computer industry...

Al
--

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (04/24/91)

In article <2JHu11w164w@chatham.uucp>, barry@chatham.uucp (Barry Campbell)
writes:
> joeh@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Joe Hollinger) writes:
>
> > ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) writes:
> >
> > >You still usually need loans to sustain yourself since you can't really
work
> > >first year.
> >
> > I did.
>
> I'm a first-year, and I'm working at the moment... well, at the moment, I'm
> posting on Usenet, but I do work. :)
>
> It's not only possible, I'd recommend it... helps one keep one's feet on the
> ground.

The ABA guidelines for law schools limit the amount of time one can work and
remain in school full time.  Many schools extend this and absolutely prohibit
full time students from working their first year.  I believe that the ABA rules
limit first year students to 10 hours of work per week.

joeh@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Joe Hollinger) (04/25/91)

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) writes:

>The ABA guidelines for law schools limit the amount of time one can work and
>remain in school full time.  Many schools extend this and absolutely prohibit
>full time students from working their first year.  I believe that the ABA rules
>limit first year students to 10 hours of work per week.

So how many people have been sanctioned by your school?

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.021338.2747@oakhill.sps.mot.com>,
joeh@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Joe Hollinger) writes:
> >The ABA guidelines for law schools limit the amount of time one can work and
> >remain in school full time.  Many schools extend this and absolutely
prohibit
> >full time students from working their first year.  I believe that the ABA
rules
> >limit first year students to 10 hours of work per week.
>
> So how many people have been sanctioned by your school?

Well, they won't really tell us.  Disciplinary proceedings are confidential :-).

But seriously, probably not many.  Unless, of course, someone were to push it
and demand sanctions.  The school is a bit busy deciding what to do about our
AA flap and the person who "acquired" confidential information spoken about in
a previous posting.