sbrack@isis.cs.du.edu (Steven S. Brack) writes:

   From: sbrack@isis.cs.du.edu (Steven S. Brack)
   Date: 30 Apr 91 20:40:06 GMT

   >The second regard GEnie (again) apparently terminating someone's account
   >because they were critical of GEnie's administrators.

	   ===== Begin reposted article =====

   From mnemosyne.cs.du.edu!uunet!lll-winken!telecom-request Mon Apr
   29 03:51:41 MDT 1991

   Dear Telecom Readers:

   In the {MacWeek}, April 16th, 1991, Volume 5, Number 14 issue, there
   is a story about a user lockout in the GEnie on-line service:

   A Toronto couple requested an explanation of the online service's
   recent lockout of members who disagreed publicly with GEnie
   management.

   Linda Kaplan, a GEnie member for more than five years, had both her
   internal account and her paid account discontinued last month in what
   she described as a series of personality conflicts and escalating
   misunderstandings.  She said that GEnie cancelled accounts not on the
   basis of rules being broken but just because someone lost their
   temper.

   Apparently, GEnie officials refused to comment on the matter but said
   that they would clarify their policies in the future.

   Ms. Kaplan had a paid account but she mainly used a systemwide free
   account designed to bring in more users.  She said that some account
   holders were bound by the secret agreements forbidding them from
   criticizing GEnie, its sysops or executives.  She added that friends
   who inquired about her absence from forums or who questioned
   management's handling of the incident either in on-line forums or
   private electronic mail found themselves drawn into the fray.

   When another long time user, Peter Pawlyschyn, contacted management
   and inquired about his rights on the service, he found himself
   censored and harassed.

   Other members have said that they were reduced to read-only status or
   had their accounts cancelled after simply mentioning Kaplan's name in
   postings.

   Soooooo, here we go again with the issue of censoring certain
   materials in large online systems.  Or is it really an issue?

   Alex Cruz  Associate, Center for Advanced Study in Telecommunications
   Consultant, American Airlines Decision Technologies

	   ===== End reposted article =====

   Steven S. Brack            sbrack@nyx.cs.du.edu  |  I have yet to find a
   I am not speaking for the Ohio State University. |  quote good  enough &
   Now, if only I could convince them of that  8)   |  short enough.