[comp.org.eff.talk] Denise Caruso reports on new anti-encryption bill: S.618

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (05/07/91)

Denise Caruso wrote a great piece for her "Inside Technology" column of the
Sunday, 5 May 1991, SF Examiner, on page E-14.  It concerns the attempts
to outlaw encryption and why that is a bad idea.  She claims that there
is a second bill that has had anti-encryption stuff quietly slipped into it
last week by the FBI: S.618, "The Violent Crime Control Act of 1991".

I'll quote her closing paragraph to encourage you to get and read it all:

	"I want crime to stop.  I want terrorism to stop.  But do we
	want to secure the networks or not?  I have *never* seen
	evidence that power in the hands of government authority
	didn't corrupt.  I have never heard of a compromise-able
	network that didn't get compromised.  With increasing reliance
	on computer-based networks, back doors for law enforcement (or
	whoever else figures it out) make me afraid.  I don't think
	they're a good idea."
--
John Gilmore   {sun,uunet,pyramid}!hoptoad!gnu   gnu@toad.com   gnu@cygnus.com
*  Truth :  the most deadly weapon ever discovered by humanity. Capable of   *

rockwell@socrates.umd.edu (Raul Rockwell) (05/07/91)

John Gilmore:
   Denise Caruso wrote a great piece for her "Inside Technology"
   column of the Sunday, 5 May 1991, SF Examiner, on page E-14.  It
   concerns the attempts to outlaw encryption and why that is a bad
   idea.  She claims that there is a second bill that has had
   anti-encryption stuff quietly slipped into it last week by the FBI:
   S.618, "The Violent Crime Control Act of 1991".

Maybe this is the begining of an attempt to legislate cyberpunks into
existence?  We've already got a number of laws and legal precidents on
the books which basically legalize "criminals" (both in the government
and out).

And you thought this wasn't a free country. :-) :-/ :-)

Raul Rockwell

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (05/07/91)

So what is anyone going to do about S.618?  Send email?  To whom?

Bob Jacobson
--

woodsd@infonode.ingr.com (Scott D. Wood) (05/07/91)

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:
>So what is anyone going to do about S.618?  Send email?  To whom?
>Bob Jacobson
>--

Yes...good question, hmmm - if you belong to Compu$erve you could send a
CongressGram(TM).  You write it on-line and send it as email and it pops out
of a printer and gets *really* mailed (at a slight value-added cost, I'm sure).
Seriously though, letters would help -- and an email address would be great.

Anyone got an address for the Hill?  Do they use computers up there?  Are
politico's *that* with-it?

-Scott Wood

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.141648.7055@infonode.ingr.com> woodsd@infonode.ingr.com (Scott D. Wood) writes:
>cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:
>>So what is anyone going to do about S.618?  Send email?  To whom?
>>Bob Jacobson
>>--
>
>Yes...good question, hmmm - if you belong to Compu$erve you could send a
>CongressGram(TM).  You write it on-line and send it as email and it pops out
>of a printer and gets *really* mailed (at a slight value-added cost, I'm sure).
>Seriously though, letters would help -- and an email address would be great.
>
>Anyone got an address for the Hill?  Do they use computers up there?  Are
>politico's *that* with-it?
>
>-Scott Wood

	Did you actually think they were intelligent?  On the freenet they
say you should write them and maybe they will do it. (Cleveland freenet) Not
so. . .I have written Paul Simon a few times and he just replies with a form
letter.
--
The Ravings of the Insane Maniac Sameer Parekh -- zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

otto@fsu1.cc.fsu.edu (John Otto) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.141648.7055@infonode.ingr.com>, woodsd@infonode.ingr.com (Scott D. Wood) writes...
>cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:
>>So what is anyone going to do about S.618?  Send email?  To whom?
>>Bob Jacobson
>>--
>
>Yes...good question, hmmm - if you belong to Compu$erve you could send a
>CongressGram(TM).  You write it on-line and send it as email and it pops out
>of a printer and gets *really* mailed (at a slight value-added cost, I'm sure).
>Seriously though, letters would help -- and an email address would be great.
>
>Anyone got an address for the Hill?  Do they use computers up there?  Are
>politico's *that* with-it?
>
>-Scott Wood
  It just so happens that an address (domain, at least) crossed my screen
today.  House Information Systems  (HOUSE-DOM)
        House Annex II
        2nd and D Streets SW
        Washington, DC   20515      Domain Name:  HOUSE.GOV

John G. Otto   jgo@fsu.bitnet   jgo@rai.cc.fsu.edu

kmc@netcom.COM (Kevin McCarty) (05/08/91)

woodsd@infonode.ingr.com (Scott D. Wood) writes:

>cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:
>>So what is anyone going to do about S.618?  Send email?  To whom?
>>Bob Jacobson
>>--

>Yes...good question, hmmm - if you belong to Compu$erve you could send a
>CongressGram(TM).  You write it on-line and send it as email and it pops out
>of a printer and gets *really* mailed (at a slight value-added cost, I'm sure).
>Seriously though, letters would help -- and an email address would be great.

>Anyone got an address for the Hill?  Do they use computers up there?  Are
>politico's *that* with-it?

>-Scott Wood

Oh my, can you picture how pathetic it looks for us to have forgotten
how to send a postcard? Our senators (S.618 means it's a Senate bill)
do their business at
Senate Office Building
Washington DC, 20510
--
Kevin McCarty			kmc@netcom.COM
				netcom!kmc@apple.com

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (05/08/91)

In <1991May7.221009.2545@mailer.cc.fsu.edu>, otto@fsu1.cc.fsu.edu writes:
>  It just so happens that an address (domain, at least) crossed my screen
>today.  House Information Systems  (HOUSE-DOM)
>        House Annex II
>        2nd and D Streets SW
>        Washington, DC   20515      Domain Name:  HOUSE.GOV

  Perhaps this is related to visit scheduling, etc?
  It appparently goes thru uunet for its email, btw.
  Followups to comp.org.eff.talk. This is a really nasty case of cross-posting.

--
     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
  Widener University in Chester, PA                A Bloody Sun-Dec War Zone

alain@elevia.UUCP (W.A.Simon) (05/09/91)

In <17597@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>Denise Caruso wrote a great piece for her "Inside Technology" column of the
>Sunday, 5 May 1991, SF Examiner, on page E-14.  It concerns the attempts
>to outlaw encryption and why that is a bad idea.  She claims that there
>is a second bill that has had anti-encryption stuff quietly slipped into it
>last week by the FBI: S.618, "The Violent Crime Control Act of 1991".
>I'll quote her closing paragraph to encourage you to get and read it all:

>	"I want crime to stop.  I want terrorism to stop.  But do we
>	want to secure the networks or not?  I have *never* seen
>	evidence that power in the hands of government authority
>	didn't corrupt.  I have never heard of a compromise-able
>	network that didn't get compromised.  With increasing reliance
>	on computer-based networks, back doors for law enforcement (or
>	whoever else figures it out) make me afraid.  I don't think
>	they're a good idea."

	Considering that with a few rare exceptions, terrorists have
	been financed, trained, sheltered, and given logistical support,
	by one government or another, I shudder at the idea of giving
	any political power the keys to my backdoor.  NOT MY BACKDOOR,
	or NMB is the operative response.

ps - See: The Economist - May 4-10 1991 - Computers and Privacy - page 21
     for a superb analysis of this and many other related issues.

--
William "Alain" Simon
                                                   UUCP: alain@elevia.UUCP

cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) (05/09/91)

Two things:

When time is of the essence, a card hardly suffices (and it gets lost
in the piles, believe me).

Also, if you are lucky enough to hook up with someone who IS using
email and a computer, you can be sure your message will be taken more
seriously (presuming it is computer policy related).

So, is there a SENATE.GOV domain?  And how does one use it?

Bob
--

hes@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Henry E. Schaffer) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May9.065816.2286@milton.u.washington.edu> cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:
>So, is there a SENATE.GOV domain?  And how does one use it?

  My router says that house.gov is reached via uunet, and that
senate.gov doesn't exist.

--henry schaffer  n c state univ

otto@fsu1.cc.fsu.edu (John Otto) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May9.140913.616@ncsu.edu>, hes@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Henry E. Schaffer) writes...
>In article <1991May9.065816.2286@milton.u.washington.edu> cyberoid@milton.u.washington.edu (Robert Jacobson) writes:
>>So, is there a SENATE.GOV domain?  And how does one use it?
>
>  My router says that house.gov is reached via uunet, and that
>senate.gov doesn't exist.
>
>--henry schaffer  n c state univ

Could you post the info from your router?  I'm just curious, learning how
various look-up mechanisms work...jgo