[comp.org.eff.talk] S.266: What you can do.

metzger@watson.ibm.com (Perry E. Metzger) (05/22/91)

[The opinions contained herein are not necessarily those of IBM; I'm
acting on my own, folks.]

Long, but hopefully informative article, about my call to Senator
Biden's staff member who actually is handling this, follows.

In article <1991May20.162520.4822@b11.ingr.com> craig@b11.ingr.com (Craig Presson) writes:
>In article <1991May19.231103.19394@bellcore.bellcore.com>, karn@epic.bellcore.com (Phil Karn) writes:
>|> Yesterday I received a response to my letter to Senator Joseph
>|> Biden expressing concern about the anti-cryptography provisions of
>|> S.266. Here it is in its entirety. --Phil

>The way I read this letter, it's extremely generous to call it a
>"response". It is utterly non-responsive except for a "proof by
>vigorous assertion":
>|> 	I wish to assure you that this bill and U.S. anti-terrorism
>|> efforts would not infringe upon the legitimate privacy rights of
>                                       ----------------------------
>|> individuals.
>   -----------
>It looks like we and Senator Biden do not agree on some basic
>definitions here.

I actually bothered to follow up on my (identical) form letter from
Sen. Biden's office.

I spoke to John Bentivoglio, who is on the Senator's Judiciary
committee staff (not his personal staff), who claims to have been the
person who drafted the letter that went out on Joe Biden's signature.

He's more or less unmovable, though he is friendly.

He has already heard from lots and lots of people from the net about
this. His claim is more or less this: the stated section of the law is
intended more to get communications providers to help with the tapping
of things like Cellular Phones and the like, which he claims is now
difficult. (All of us on the net, of course, know you can tap a
cellular phone with a radio scanner and some patience, but never mind
that). He also claims that they understand that there are technical
reasons making the provisioning of back doors into cryptosystems
difficult, and that is the reason for the "sense of congress" thing.
He also claims that this is not the proverbial crack in the dike, and
that the Senator has no intention of following through with additional
legislation to enforce a ban on non-tappable cryptosystems.

Personally, I have no idea whether to believe him. My gut says, never
trust a politico, and that he is trying to sell me a bridge. Thats not
the part that matters, though. The part that matters is whether or not
we can still do something to stop this clause from getting through.

My suggestion is that we, the UseNetters, organize an attempt to get
S.266 Section 2201, and S.618 Section 545, discussed in a
congressional hearing.

My suggestion: Call up as many of the following Senators as you can.
(Maybe you can leave out Biden, he's probably useless at this point.)
Ask to speak to an actual human on their staff for a few minutes;
don't just register a complaint with a random bill. Say something like
"I'd like to speak to a member of the senators staff about a bill
coming before the Judiciary committee that I am very concerned about."
When you get someone, calmly and quietly tell them why you oppose
S.266 section 2201 and S.618 section 545. (the wording in both is
identical, and be sure to mention that the two sections are
identical). Explain to them that there are lots of other people who
think the same way and tell them you would like to see hearings held
where people who are members of prominent organizations like the
Electronic Freedom Foundation, the ACLU, and other similar groups
would be given a chance to oppose the section. Be nice; these men are
the ones who we have to count on to rescue us. (Gawd help us all!)

Here, again, is the text of what we are opposing, which is identical
in both S.266 sec. 2201 and S.618 sec. 545:

COOPERATION OF TELECOMMUNICATIONS PROVIDERS WITH LAW ENFORCEMENT

It is the sense of Congress that providers of electronic communications
services and manufacturers of electronic communications service equipment shall
ensure that communications systems permit the government to obtain the plain
text contents of voice, data, and other communications when appropriately
authorized by law.

The members of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which will be acting on
these bills, are:

Chair: Joeseph R. Biden, Delaware

Edward M. Kennedy, Massachusetts
Howard M. Metzenbaum, Ohio
Dennis DeConcini, Arizona
Patrick J. Leahy, Vermont
Howell Heflin, Alabama
Paul Simon, Illinois
Herbert Kohl, Wisconsin
Strom Thurmond, South Carolina
Orrin G. Hatch, Utah
Alan K. Simpson, Whyoming
Charles E. Grassley, Iowa
Arlen Specter, Pennsylvania
Hank Brown, Colorado

The phone number of the U.S. Senate Switchboard, which will get you
any of these men's staff's, is...

(202)-224-3121

Their specific numbers and addresses are...

DEMOCRATS:

Senator Joseph Biden (Del)
Suite 221
Russell Building
U.S. Senate, Washington DC 20510 <-- for all of them
(202) 224-5042

Senator Edward Kennedy
Suite 315
Russell Building