[comp.org.eff.talk] remember "the moderator who didn't give a hoot?"

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (05/15/91)

do you recall all that silly hoopla about comp.dcom.telecom
and "the moderator who ..."?

things aren't so silly with comp.dcom.telecom lately -- a chump
ATT worker posted obviously improper info in the moderated
group and got fired.  if you want to read details on this,
keep your eye on the NYT or the Middlesex News (not in that order),
or read my brief tirade in alt.dcom.telecom,
or read the postings in comp.dcom.telecom.

"Norman, coordinate."

--
/* eli@spdcc.com ; 415 688 4517 */

johne@hp-vcd.HP.COM (John Eaton) (05/21/91)

<<<<
< things aren't so silly with comp.dcom.telecom lately -- a chump
< ATT worker posted obviously improper info in the moderated
< group and got fired.
----------
This illustrates one of the big weaknesses of institutions that collect
personal records. It doesn't matter how secure the official company
policy is in respect to privacy. Your records can be pulled by any number
of clerks and others capable of passing the data on to others.

This is one area where computers could actually enhance security. You could
keep track of any record that an clerk should view and require them to
show a "Need-to-know".

John Eaton
!hp-vcd!johne

ptownson@eecs.nwu.edu (Patrick A. Townson) (05/21/91)

In article <6750026@hp-vcd.HP.COM> johne@hp-vcd.HP.COM (John Eaton)
quoted an earlier writer:

>< things aren't so silly with comp.dcom.telecom lately -- a chump
>< ATT worker posted obviously improper info in the moderated
>< group and got fired.

That's right ... and a good object lesson and example for other telco
employees it was, if I do say so myself.

Except officially he has not been fired. He is in limbo right now,
suspended without pay while the union grieves. This process will go on
for a period of time while the matter is reviewed.

Then John continues:

> This illustrates one of the big weaknesses of institutions that collect
> personal records. It doesn't matter how secure the official company
> policy is in respect to privacy. Your records can be pulled by any number
> of clerks and others capable of passing the data on to others.

Precisely my point in the object lesson provided for my readers.

I am a Moderator/Facilitator/Editor, not a personal savior. I've
railed in the past about people who are presumptuous enough to get in
the business of saving people from themselves. I've never done it, and
don't feel like starting now. I opt for the personal freedom of
letting people decide for themselves how to govern their lives. Some
of you might try it sometime ... its a refreshing change from the old
liberal orthodoxy that has stunk up the net for so long.

If Mr. Borow wanted to commit a virtual suicide on my doorstep there
was little I could do about it. If I had killed his message, then
perhaps he would have taken it over to alt.I.hate.the.telecom.moderator
and posted it there.

By the way, the original message in this thread was the first time
I've ever heard 'hoot' used as a synonym for 'shit'.  I said I didn't
give the latter.

Still not giving one, I remain,

PAT

federkin@motcid.UUCP (John Federkins) (05/24/91)

ptownson@eecs.nwu.edu (Patrick A. Townson) writes:

>By the way, the original message in this thread was the first time
>I've ever heard 'hoot' used as a synonym for 'shit'.  I said I didn't
>give the latter.

Haven't you ever heard of Woodsy the Owl?
"Give a hoot, don't pollute!"