[comp.org.eff.talk] sysop liability/responsibility

mnemonic@eff.org (Mike Godwin) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May20.051224.16358@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> psun@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Pete) writes:

>The original objector, seeing
>no firm footing, subtly shifted topic into sysop liability.
>It is this persons contention (and this person claims to be
>something of an authority on communication law) that a sysop
>can be held liabel for anything posted on his system.  This
>doesn't seem unreasonable.  The person then further states
>that any system that receives the automated mailing from that
>system can likewise be held liabel for its contents.

As a lawyer, I've been doing research on the issue of sysop liability
for the Electronic Frontier Foundation. It is by no means clear
that mere republication by a sysop of (say) libelous material
would make the sysop liable. Bulletin-board systems are run differently
from newspapers, magazines, and broadcast stations--the latter are
liable for republication because the operators or their agents
always have an opportunity to review the material they republish.

This is not the case for many BBSs--many postings to BBSs, like postings
to Usenet, are not normally reviewed by system operators, and the
volume of traffic on many BBSs (and certainly on Usenet) makes such
review impossible.

Law professor (and software author) Loftus Becker argues in an article
for the Connecticut Law Review that sysops should be liable only if
actual knowledge of the libelous material is shown. This conclusion,
in my opinion, dovetails nicely with the Supreme Court's reasoning in
Gertz v. Robert Welch Inc. (1973), in which the standard of liability
for public figures is explained as being lower than that for private
individuals because public figures have more access to the media to
correct defamation. In the world of BBSs, typically, the defamed person
has as much potential access to correct the defamation as the defamer had to
spread it in the first place. (Just as a public figure may go to a
different newspaper to correct defamation in the NATIONAL ENQUIRER,
a person defamed on a BBS may seek access to another BBS to tell his
story.)

The law on this issue is not settled, of course. There have been very
few, if any, cases concerning BBS defamation (primarily, I believe,
because the remedy of responding to the defamer is so much easier than
the remedy of suing him). So anyone who claims that the law is settled
in this area is not telling the truth.

--Mike

--
Mike Godwin,        |         To see a world in a grain of sand
mnemonic@eff.org    |         And heaven in a wild flower

riddle@hoss.unl.edu (Michael H. Riddle) (05/20/91)

In <1991May20.051224.16358@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> psun@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Pete) writes:

>Let me begin by apologizing for dredging up a topic that has likely
>been thrashed about many times before.

* * *

>  The original objector, seeing
>no firm footing, subtly shifted topic into sysop liability.
>It is this persons contention (and this person claims to be
>something of an authority on communication law) that a sysop
>can be held liabel for anything posted on his system.  This
>doesn't seem unreasonable.  The person then further states
>that any system that receives the automated mailing from that
>system can likewise be held liabel for its contents.

>Is there any truth in this?  What can be considered an
>illegal posting?  Can UseNet as an electronic distribution
>mechanism similar to fidonet, be used as a model for
>appropriate postings?  If half of what this lawyer stated on
>the echo is true, any university or business receiving a
>usenet feed can be shut down...

>Answeres appreciated as always.

Well, the real answer is that the law on this is "unsettled" and that some
systems /have/ been shut down and some sysops placed at jeopardy because
of information received from outside and made available on their systems.
The names JOLNET and Steve Jackson Games come quickly to mind.

I've cross-posted this response to comp.org.eff.talk (if my news.reader
works correctly), which is probably a better place for this.

There are two models which might be used in the legal discussion.  The
first is that of the Normal Citizen, who is responsible for what he says
or does.  If you hear something libelous and repeat it, you might well be
liable for your repetition.  (There's a whole body of law limiting this in
the case of public figures and controversy.  It's how lawyers pay the
bills.)

The second model is that of the publisher.  There might be a limited
defense/exception for "republication."  There might not be.  If there is,
it might or might not apply to sysops.  As someone said about recent
Secret Service investigations, while comparing "Phrack" (electronic only
publication) to "2600" (electronic and paper)--"I come out on paper, and
the Constitution knows how to handle that."

Of course, shutting down the Illuminati BBS is not the same thing as
shutting down Usenet, and somehow I think the difference would become
important quickly.  Which isn't to say that size makes it right, but
rather acknowledges reality.

Disclaimer:  I'm a graduate J.D., but not yet licensed in any jurisdiction
and this certainly isn't specific legal advice.  Anyone needing legal
advice needs to see a lawyer licensed in their state.

--
            <<<< insert standard disclaimer here >>>>
riddle@hoss.unl.edu                  |  Nebraska Inns of Court

brown@cs.utk.edu (Lance A. Brown) (05/20/91)

I do not know if this applies, but there was some (IMHO) really slimey
tactics being used in the Knoxville area by some government agent a couple
months ago.

This guy somehow managed to get a-hold of passwords for some users on the
largest local BBS's.  He used these accounts to upload commercial software
and then waited to see what happened.  If the sysop removed the software
then nothing happened, but if the sysop appeared to not do anything about
it this agent would come forward and warn the sysop about his behavior and
threaten legal action.

This happened on at least 4 BBS systems that I know of, and was relayed to
me by the sysop of one of the boards so I KNOW it happened.  I find this
kind of behavior reprehensible, and what I would call entrapment.  The fact
that this agent had somehow stolen passwords also makes me angry.

Lance
--
brown@cs.utk.edu
Lance A. Brown                        The Crystal Wind is the Storm,

bei@d75.UUCP (bei) (05/21/91)

In article <BROWN.91May20115025@duncan.cs.utk.edu> brown@cs.utk.edu (Lance A. Brown) writes:
>I do not know if this applies, but there was some (IMHO) really slimey
>tactics being used in the Knoxville area by some government agent a couple
>months ago.
>This guy somehow managed to get a-hold of passwords for some users on the
>largest local BBS's.

Think of an individual's computer(s) seized in a government raid.  All the
ProComm, Red Ryder, et cetera dialing directories are perused.  Do the gov't
folks call any of those numbers and log on as the account's owner?  If so, are
they impersonating that person?  If you were going to say no, consider the
common law enforcement claim that the username that one uses online (even if
it's an alias) represents an actual person.  You don't necessarily need a paid
confidential informant, just a seized computer with account IDs and passwords
on it.
Another aspect of this is an individual's liability for acts committed by law
enforcement personnel in disguise.  Joe Average has his computer seized, and
scrapes the cash together to buy a new one and a modem in six months.  Whether
by finding old backups or reading his phone bills, he pieces together much of
an old dialing directory.  On his first calls to Genie or Compu$erve, it soon
becomes apparent that his account has been used in the time that his equipment
was not in his possession.  Is he financially liable for those connect charges?
Let's also assume that Joe A. joined a few pay bbses and paid for time in
advance.  When he dials one of them, the time that he paid for has past.  In
the seizure of his equipment, he was prevented from accessing electronic
information services of which he was (presumably) a customer in good standing.
Is it relevant that he could have used another computer to dial them up?  Yes,
if the computer stores in your neighborhood are giving them away for free.
Law enforcement personnel, and the private security personnel that accompany
them, wouldn't be unduly hampered in their jobs by an awareness and sensitivity
to the role that computers can play in people's lives.  A computer which holds
your personal phone numbers, your tax and other financial information, and the
fruits of your skills and creativity should not be denied you for undue
amounts of time.  The lack of skilled investigative techniques and personnel
doesn't absolve law enforcement agents from a duty of conscience, to do what
they need to do and then *end* it.

> He used these accounts to upload commercial software
>and then waited to see what happened.  If the sysop removed the software
>then nothing happened, but if the sysop appeared to not do anything about
>it this agent would come forward and warn the sysop about his behavior and
>threaten legal action.

Was this software concealed in any way?  Did the agent clearly identify it
as the commercial software that it was?  It doesn't play well in Peoria when
a narcotics undercover officer snorts the same coke as the guy that he
arrests, but pays no penalty (other than the use of the drug -- ObAnti-Drug
message.)

>I find this
>kind of behavior reprehensible, and what I would call entrapment.  The fact
>that this agent had somehow stolen passwords also makes me angry.

It sounds like entrapment to me as well.  If, for example, the agent puts up
Microsoft Word and it's downloaded by seventy-five users before the sysop
spots it and removes it.  Even if it was only half an hour before the file
was expunged, it was circulated.  Who is culpable if civil or criminal charges
result?  The bbs operator who exercised reasonable caution and removed the
files in a timely fashion?  Or the user that uploaded them?  (Who, were he
not a spook or in the employ of spooks would face charges for those actions.)
-- Bob
--
     Opinions expressed in this message are those of its author, except where
    messages by others are included with attribution.  No endorsement of these

                       Bob Izenberg [ ] Ralph Kirkley Associates
                 work: 512 838 6311 [ ] bei@rt_trace.austin.ibm.com
                 home: 512 346 7019 [ ] bei@dogface.UUCP

mnemonic@eff.org (Mike Godwin) (05/21/91)

In article <3935@d75.UUCP> bei@rt_trace.austin.ibm.com (Bob Izenberg) writes:
>message.)
>
>>I find this
>>kind of behavior reprehensible, and what I would call entrapment.  The fact
>>that this agent had somehow stolen passwords also makes me angry.
>
>It sounds like entrapment to me as well.

Will someone explain to me why he believes that this person harassing
Knoxville BBSs was actually a government agent?  In none of these stories
has anyone actually *seen* the purported agent, gotten a name, or
checked an ID. I think it's a little premature to lay these antics at
the door of the government.

--Mike

--

jcomer@netxcom.netx.com (Jeff Comer) (05/25/91)

In article <BROWN.91May20115025@duncan.cs.utk.edu> brown@cs.utk.edu (Lance A. Brown) writes:
>I do not know if this applies, but there was some (IMHO) really slimey
>tactics being used in the Knoxville area by some government agent a couple
>months ago.
>
>This guy somehow managed to get a-hold of passwords for some users on the
>largest local BBS's.  He used these accounts to upload commercial software
>and then waited to see what happened.  If the sysop removed the software
>then nothing happened, but if the sysop appeared to not do anything about
>it this agent would come forward and warn the sysop about his behavior and
>threaten legal action.
>
>This happened on at least 4 BBS systems that I know of, and was relayed to
>me by the sysop of one of the boards so I KNOW it happened.  I find this
>kind of behavior reprehensible, and what I would call entrapment.  The fact
>that this agent had somehow stolen passwords also makes me angry.

I would use the term odious. I cannot imagine that any such case would ever
be tried; if the agent "managed to get a-hold of passwords" (ie, steal),
then that clearly is theft, B&E, and unlawful computer access or whatever
the feds call it - they have laws for that. And evidence obtained illegally
is not admissable. No DA would ever attempt to put that before a judge. Well,
maybe I shouldn't say "ever".....

As I understand it (having just gone through it with the Marion Barry case),
entrapment is basically trying to get someone to do something they would not
have done otherwise.  In the sysop case, there is no evidence to suggest
whether or not the sysop would have removed or kept the copyrighted soft-
ware had it arrived from another source.

Any idea of how the agent managed to steal the passwords?

+^^^^|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^+
| jc | ROCOCO: You haven't seen the last of me!            |
|    | DANGER: No, but the first of you turns my stomach!  |

learn@ddsw1.MCS.COM (William Vajk) (05/27/91)

In article <419@netxcom.netx.com> jcomer@netxcom.netx.com (Jeff Comer) writes:

>In article <BROWN.91May20115025@duncan.cs.utk.edu> (Lance A. Brown) writes:

>>This guy somehow managed to get a-hold of passwords for some users on the
>>largest local BBS's.

>Any idea of how the agent managed to steal the passwords?

I have a feeling that "agents" of more than one sort do manage to steal
passwords, some of them quite regularly with little effort.

System igloo was "broken into" by such means this year. The details were
forwarded to every individual and group who might be interested, with the
concensus that there was actually little to be done.

Personally, I KNOW exactly who it was.

Bill Vajk

brown@cs.utk.edu (Lance A. Brown) (05/28/91)

>In article <1991May21.120543.1000@eff.org>, mnemonic@eff.org (Mike Godwin) writes:
> In article <3935@d75.UUCP> bei@rt_trace.austin.ibm.com (Bob Izenberg) writes:
>>message.)
>>
>>>I find this
>>>kind of behavior reprehensible, and what I would call entrapment.  The fact
>>>that this agent had somehow stolen passwords also makes me angry.
>>
>>It sounds like entrapment to me as well.

> Will someone explain to me why he believes that this person harassing
> Knoxville BBSs was actually a government agent?  In none of these stories
> has anyone actually *seen* the purported agent, gotten a name, or
> checked an ID. I think it's a little premature to lay these antics at
> the door of the government.

  All I can say is that the person doing this represented himself as a
government agent, ( I do not remember which agency specifically ) and that
I have spoken personally with the sysops of one board where this occured
and was warned to immediately change my password by the sysops of the three
largest BBS's in Knoxville.  I will recontact the sysop I spoke with and
attempt to obtain more information regarding this.

Lance
--

bei@d75.UUCP (bei) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May26.192145.14175@ddsw1.MCS.COM> learn@ddsw1.MCS.COM (William Vajk) writes:
>System igloo was "broken into" by such means this year. The details were
>forwarded to every individual and group who might be interested, with the
>concensus that there was actually little to be done.

When Bill first told me about this, the incident with the dentists going to the cops
about their computer hadn't become public knowledge.  A break-in is a break-in, and if
a mistake caused by an old BBS listing can garner police attention, so can an attempt
to defraud by a user who may or may not have intentionally loaned out their password.
Without mentioning the name of your user's employer, you can have no doubt that the
company in question would have a room full of Federal officials come out to see you if
the situation was reversed.
Which law enforcement organizations did you contact?  What was their response?  We've
all heard of some people at the state and federal level who have aggressive policies
on computer intrusion.  I'm at least five percent sure that the tradition of fair
and prompt attention that some Illinois and Texas residents have come to expect will
get this matter resolved.  Only someone with no interest in his job, or too much
interest in hiding the malfeasance of corporations that co-operate in investigations,
would fail to heed your complaint.
-- Bob
--
     Opinions expressed in this message are those of its author, except where
    messages by others are included with attribution.  No endorsement of these
         opinions by Ralph Kirkley Associates or IBM should be inferred.

                       Bob Izenberg [ ] Ralph Kirkley Associates
                 work: 512 838 6311 [ ] bei@rt_trace.austin.ibm.com
                 home: 512 346 7019 [ ] bei@dogface.UUCP

rogue@cellar.UUCP (Rache McGregor) (05/29/91)

brown@cs.utk.edu (Lance A. Brown) writes:

   /* Prior discussion removed */

>   All I can say is that the person doing this represented himself as a
> government agent, ( I do not remember which agency specifically ) and that
> I have spoken personally with the sysops of one board where this occured
> and was warned to immediately change my password by the sysops of the three
> largest BBS's in Knoxville.  I will recontact the sysop I spoke with and
> attempt to obtain more information regarding this.
>
> Lance

I'd like to know how the accounts that the 'agent' used were ascertained to
be stolen.  Were these BBSes invitation-only or public access systems?  Had
the 'agent' previously been removed from or refused validation to these
boards?

[The use of quotes around the word agent is not meant to be combative.  It is
meant to convey the unaffirmed identity of the caller involved.]

Rogue Winter       | "The truth knocks on the door and you say,
rogue@cellar.uucp  | "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so
uunet!cellar!rogue | it goes away.  Puzzling."
Cellar 215/3369503 |  -Robert Pirsig (quoted in Zen_To_Go, Jon Winokur)

learn@piroska.uchicago.edu (William Vajk (igloo)) (06/05/91)

In article <3962@d75.UUCP> bei@d75.UUCP (Bob Izenberg) writes:

>In article <1991May26.192145.14175@ddsw1.MCS.COM> William Vajk writes:

>>System igloo was "broken into" by such means this year. The details were
>>forwarded to every individual and group who might be interested, with the
>>concensus that there was actually little to be done.

>Which law enforcement organizations did you contact?  What was their
>response?  We've all heard of some people at the state and federal level
>who have aggressive policies on computer intrusion.  I'm at least five
percent sure that the tradition of fair and prompt attention that some
>Illinois and Texas residents have come to expect will get this matter
>resolved.  Only someone with no interest in his job, or too much interest
>in hiding the malfeasance of corporations that co-operate in investigations,
>would fail to heed your complaint.

To be fair to the readers, I believe that I should mention that Bob and I
have been discussing this very topic by phone as well, and I am afraid I
have been something of a disappointment to Bob in that I haven't filed
a police report, nor do I intend to. There are some prudent man
considerations at work here which overwhelm my otherwise zealous approach
to these difficulties.

For openers, need I mention that Rich Andrews was a fine role model and model
citizen at the leading edge of this electronic frontier when he saw some text
on his public access system which caused him to lose sleep. He reported this
information, as some keep suggesting I do presently, and lived to regret his
actions. The results have devestated sevaral lives. Riggs, Darden, Grant,
Neidorf, and Rose all fell prey to the predations of law enforcement, directly
resulting from Rich's call for assistance. Rich also lost his job, his friends,
and his equipment. They ript the tongue from the bearer of bad tidings.

The written record shows that Andrews was cooperating with the authorities.
He had been served a subpoena for certain records which he provided.
Subesquently it was determined by the powers that be that the information
he provided was not sufficient to meet the immediate needs of the
investigation (read this to mean they wanted info in a hurry, they were
quite obviously rushing justice and Rich's rights got in the way.) They
applied for and received a search warrant, went out and too Rich's equipment
away.

They escalated the search proceedures well past reasonability and confiscated
additional equipment from Steve Jackson Games and others.

Given there are risks involved for an individualwho reports a "computer
crime," I decided to take a pass. I haven't the fortune to be a
philanthropist, nor do I see anyone wiling to fill that niche for me on
the horizon.

And finally, where I live is served by the Cook County Sherriff's Department
for local police services. The unincorporated county is shrinking rapidly,
and they are, in my opinion, not equipped nearly as well as San Luis Obispo
was to handle "the case of the missing bbs."

Bill Vajk