[comp.org.eff.talk] privacy vs. convenience

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (05/30/91)

In article <14356.2829E991@fidogate.FIDONET.ORG>, Tom.Jennings@f111.n125.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Tom Jennings) writes:
> Quoting John Otto's message of 03 May:
>
>  >Ah, but with Automatic Vehicle Identification (AVI) they don't have to
>  >...
>  >as well.  It's convenient, too.  You get a road bill at the end of the
>  >month, like a phone bill now.  But I really hate the privacy invasion
>  >involved in both.
>
> Nearly all of the anti-privacy are billed as or are in fact "convenience"
> saving.
>
> This drive for "convenience" is gonna kill us ...

This one, like the others, has a reasonably simple solution that does
not involve the same privacy hit.

Use a device comparable to the smart card with Postage Meter style
filling up possible and install an automatic decrementer on the
highway.  Make the communication protocol not contain any serial
number data.  Let people buy their Highway Toll Meter from any
of a variety of manufacturers.  Recharge them at banks and gas
stations.  Or by buying tokens like the Japanese telephone tokens
(this card available at newstands and elsewhere is good for 100 Yen
of pay phone service) and swiping them through it.

How do we make the decision makers make better decisions?

dan herrick
herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (06/06/91)

In article <4713.2843cf76@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com> herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:

>How do we make the decision makers make better decisions?
>
>dan herrick
>herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com
	We become the decision makers.

--