[comp.org.eff.talk] bizarre question...

mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) (05/23/91)

metzger@watson.ibm.com (Perry E. Metzger) writes:

>You have done nothing by simply implementing the algorithm. ONLY USE
>OF, OR SALE OF, A PATENTED INVENTION IS ACTIONABLE.

	Can you prove that I did, in fact, encrypt my data with an RSA
scheme, in court, without my being forced to incriminate against myself?

The intuitive argument: the way to prove that in fact I had been using
RSA to encrypt my data would be to decrypt it, thereby proving that you
know the encryption scheme.

	Otherwise I can just claim that I used a one-time pad, and that
you're just reading what you want to see out of the noise.

	Am I totally off base? My uderstanding of cryptography is limited,
but I thought the better cryptosystems tend to make the ciphertext look
like random noise. How, then, do you tell? (code-breakers must have a
reasonable array of tools that can certainly imply what kind of system
you used, but can you *PROVE* it to a jury of ignorami?)

mjr.

ptownson@eecs.nwu.edu (Patrick A. Townson) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May23.005453.4406@decuac.dec.com> mjr@hussar.dco.dec.
com (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:

>	Can you prove that I did, in fact, encrypt my data with an RSA
> scheme, in court, without my being forced to incriminate against myself?

You would testify, alright ... the section of the Bill of Rights which
allows you to refuse to testify or incriminate yourself applies to
*CRIMINAL* matters ... not civil cases. It applies when there is a
potential loss of your freedom, i.e. a prison sentence.

In civil cases, people do not go to jail. You'd be sued in a civil
action, not a criminal action ... and you would give a deposition when
requested, or possibly be held in contempt for refusing to do so.

> Can you prove it to a jury of ignorami?

I wouldn't have to. Again, in a civil case, BOTH SIDES have to agree
on having a bench trial or jury trial ... I'd insist on having the
judge decide the matter.  Really, criminal trials are not the way to
go. When possible, deal with these things in a civil trial for the
best results.

Patrick Townson

smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May23.032146.10692@eecs.nwu.edu>, ptownson@eecs.nwu.edu (Patrick A. Townson) writes:
> > Can you prove it to a jury of ignorami?
>
> I wouldn't have to. Again, in a civil case, BOTH SIDES have to agree
> on having a bench trial or jury trial .

I'm not a lawyer, but...  Here's the wording of the 7th Amendment to
the U.S. Constitution:

	In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed
	twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no
	fact tried by a jury shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the
	United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Since patents are a matter of Federal law, this amendment presumably applies.
(Besides, in my discussions with a patent lawyer he repeatedly stressed
that it could be a jury trial if it ever came to that.)

ptownson@eecs.nwu.edu (Patrick A. Townson) (05/24/91)

In article <14880@ulysses.att.com> smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven
Bellovin) writes:

> I'm not a lawyer, but...  Here's the wording of the 7th Amendment to
> the U.S. Constitution:

>	In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed
>	twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no
>	fact tried by a jury shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the
>	United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

> Since patents are a matter of Federal law, this amendment presumably applies.
> (Besides, in my discussions with a patent lawyer he repeatedly stressed
> that it could be a jury trial if it ever came to that.)

But I am not (assuming I was the one suing him) asking for money,
other than of course my attorney fees and expenses, which are NOT
counted in the 'twenty dollar rule' ...

I am merely asking the judge to order him to refrain from continuing
to engage in the behavior which brought him there in the first place.

I do think that since there is no 'amount of money in dispute' we must
both mutually agree upon a jury trial.

PAT

louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us (Louis Giliberto) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May24.041906.3787@eecs.nwu.edu> ptownson@eecs.nwu.edu (Patrick A. Townson) writes:
>But I am not (assuming I was the one suing him) asking for money,
>other than of course my attorney fees and expenses, which are NOT
>counted in the 'twenty dollar rule' ...
>
>I am merely asking the judge to order him to refrain from continuing
>to engage in the behavior which brought him there in the first place.
>
>I do think that since there is no 'amount of money in dispute' we must
>both mutually agree upon a jury trial.

You don't need a trial.  You petition the court for a restraining order.  The
defendent (in this case, there is none since no one is being sued yet) is not
present since it's almost like a warrant.  You just get it signed.

What company would drag someone to court just for legal expenses?  They want
damages or it's not worth the time and effort.

If they just want to stop him, they don't even have to sue.

Louis

>PAT

!       "As above, so below; as below, so above" -- The Kybalion          !
!       "I don't trust him; he has dark hair" -- My girlfriend's mother   !
!       "So I'm stupid; what's your point?" -- Me                         !

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (06/02/91)

In article <1991May23.032146.10692@eecs.nwu.edu>, ptownson@eecs.nwu.edu (Patrick A. Townson) writes:
> In article <1991May23.005453.4406@decuac.dec.com> mjr@hussar.dco.dec.
> com (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:
>
>>	Can you prove that I did, in fact, encrypt my data with an RSA
>> scheme, in court, without my being forced to incriminate against myself?
>
> You would testify, alright ... the section of the Bill of Rights which
> allows you to refuse to testify or incriminate yourself applies to
> *CRIMINAL* matters ... not civil cases. It applies when there is a
> potential loss of your freedom, i.e. a prison sentence.
                         ^^^^^^^

> In civil cases, people do not go to jail. You'd be sued in a civil
> action, not a criminal action ... and you would give a deposition when
> requested, or possibly be held in contempt for refusing to do so.
                                    ^^^^^^^^

You just said that his freedom was not at stake then said his
freedom was at stake.  Which is it?

dan herrick
herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com

ptownson@eecs.nwu.edu (Patrick A. Townson) (06/02/91)

In article <4750.28479e8e@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com> herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:

>>>	Can you prove that I did, in fact, encrypt my data with an RSA
>>> scheme, in court, without my being forced to incriminate against myself?

>> You would testify, alright ... the section of the Bill of Rights which
>> allows you to refuse to testify or incriminate yourself applies to
>> *CRIMINAL* matters ... not civil cases. It applies when there is a
>> potential loss of your freedom, i.e. a prison sentence.
>                         ^^^^^^^

>> In civil cases, people do not go to jail. You'd be sued in a civil
>> action, not a criminal action ... and you would give a deposition when
>> requested, or possibly be held in contempt for refusing to do so.
>                                    ^^^^^^^^

> You just said that his freedom was not at stake then said his
> freedom was at stake.  Which is it?

His feeedom would not be at state regardless of his deposition in the
civil case. In other words, he could deny the allegations against him
(and possibly have it proven otherwise), or he could admit to the
allegations against him. In either case, he would not wind up going to
jail, i.e. losing his freedom.

His REFUSAL to give deposition could be a possible cause of criminal
action against him. In civil cases, do not confuse the *nature* of
your deposition (testimony) with the fact that you gave it or did not
give it at all.

PAT

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (06/06/91)

>In article <1991May23.032146.10692@eecs.nwu.edu>, ptownson@eecs.nwu.edu (Patrick A. Townson) writes:
>> In article <1991May23.005453.4406@decuac.dec.com> mjr@hussar.dco.dec.
>> com (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:
>>
>>>	Can you prove that I did, in fact, encrypt my data with an RSA
>>> scheme, in court, without my being forced to incriminate against myself?
>>
>> You would testify, alright ... the section of the Bill of Rights which
>> allows you to refuse to testify or incriminate yourself applies to
>> *CRIMINAL* matters ... not civil cases. It applies when there is a
>> potential loss of your freedom, i.e. a prison sentence.

	A loss of freedom does not mean prison sentence.  If the govt. takes
away my livelihood, (say a $500,000 fine) and forces me to lose my home and
live on the streets, I think that is a loss of freedom.
--
The Ravings of the Insane Maniac Sameer Parekh -- zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM