[comp.org.eff.talk] how to run a BBS

tom.jennings@f111.n125.z1.FIDONET.ORG (tom jennings) (06/06/91)

Treating people like they want to be treated goes a long way ... here
is the new-user message for my BBS:

-------------
Aha! A new victim I mean caller to the FidoNews/Fido Software BBS. You
are reading this because you are not in the caller file. Don't despair!
After a few simple questions, you'll be in with full user privileges.

POLICIES: Act like you want to be treated. Call yourself anything you
like. Caller names are purged after 60 days of inactivity, which is
perfectly fine by me. Take all the files you want -- that's what they
are there for. No uploading required in exchange (I never understood
that nonsense anyways.) Take as long as you need, but be considerate of
others. I accept suggestions of any kind, but not complaints. Be
patient.

WHAT YOU MUST DO:
Enter your physical location on the planet (not required, it's just so
other callers can see who's called via the U)sers command, why they
would do that, I have no idea) and choose a memorable password.

------------

This has been my policy since 1983. I have had zero (0) trouble. Other
people I know with what I would call fascist attitudes, have lots of
trouble; they justify their need for control with the fact they get
lots of troublemakers. Hmm.

I have for years at a time had a very, very high-profile BBS. It's
pretty quiet now.

--
tom jennings - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!111!tom.jennings

Sparky@mindlink.bc.ca (Gene Kruper) (06/09/91)

Hey Tom, I like the policy which you have for running a BBS, maybe one
day it will be the status quo. <sp??>

-Gene K.
Sparky@Mindlink.bc.ca
uunet!van-bc!mindlink!Sparky

jfraser@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Jane Fraser) (06/11/91)

In article <14886.284ECCB6@fidogate.FIDONET.ORG> tom.jennings@f111.n125.z1.FIDONET.ORG (tom jennings) writes:
>Treating people like they want to be treated goes a long way ... here
>is the new-user message for my BBS:

Wow!  That's great.  I started to use Columbus area bulletin boards a
while ago and was absolutely freaked out at the unwelcome I got.  Most
BBS started with *no* message, just proceeded to ask me what I thought
were appallingly intrusive questions.  I *think* I'm a nice person who
would be a desirable participant, but I got scared off.  If the sysop
thinks like that, I reasoned, I don't want to be part of his
community.

Keep it up!

Jane